[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu think about Sonic Youth?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: tmp_31415-images(19)418233897.jpg (2 KB, 291x173) Image search: [Google]
tmp_31415-images(19)418233897.jpg
2 KB, 291x173
What does /mu think about Sonic Youth?
>>
dont you remember you told me you love me baby dadadada

i cant get into the rest of their music
>>
They're debut is classic
>>
>dad rock

also neither young nor fast
>>
>>65353245
Kinda overrated desu
>>
>>
>>65353351
this desu, the rest is mediocre at best
>>
ITT : plebs
>>
>>65353245
Sonic Youth started literally at the same place as Swans, in the same scene as Lydia Lunch, DNA and so on. They used to make abrasive spooky no-wave.

Then they gradually moved towards more and more melody in their music. However, that's also when the band started going pretty different directions. Lee tracks sound very different from Thurston tracks, which in turn differ vastly from Kim.

Eventually, they were offered a place in the "wave" of punk in the early '90s. They refused to change their sound and fucked it all up. They tried to sell their music which was incompatible with mainstream, and failed miserably.

However, they were the ones who 'found' Cobain and Beck, and helped attract many acts to DGC; they were 'godfathers' of the scene, their 'connections' helped Chloe Sevigny, Spike Jonze, and many more. Ironically, the most money they got in their lives was because of a lawsuit vs DGC, and also because of Gordon's fashion line that got big in Korea.

In the 2000s, their whole gear was stolen, and they decided to change completely to more pop sound, without much noise. By that time they all started branching into their side projects. We all know how it all ended with Kin and Thurston's bitter divorce.
>>
>>65353245

80s stuff is pretty great. My favs are CIS, Bad Moon Rising and DDN. Goo is okay. I kinda hate Dirty and Jet Set. Washing Machine is nice. Everything else is "solid" but boring at times.

I have never listen to The Eternal.
>>
>>65353582
Why didn't you like Dirty?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.