[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This guy was the best songwriter of the 90s IMO. Who, in your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: robert-pollard.jpg (21 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
robert-pollard.jpg
21 KB, 500x250
This guy was the best songwriter of the 90s IMO.
Who, in your opinion was?
>>
I agree.
>>
>>65344367
That is not Thom Yorke
>>
>>65344367
Hes in a league far above the others

>>65344529
lol, montie always saying something dumb.
>>
I really don't care what anyone says, Crawling Distance was an incredible record.
>>
File: jandek.jpg (17 KB, 300x307) Image search: [Google]
jandek.jpg
17 KB, 300x307
>>
Just looked him up to see what band he was from, and jesus christ both hr and gbv have a lot of albums..

Where do i start with guided by voices if theyve got that many albums?
>>
>>65344708
Start with bee thousand or alien lanes. They are ALL great albums though.
>>
i like bee thousand but i can't get into any other gbv albums

i like the idea of alien lanes but it's not nearly as good as bee thousand in practice

i'd stick with berry/buck/mills/stipe as the best songwriting team of the 90s, though i can accept pollard as best solo songwriter
>>
>>65344708
>>65344732
these are my personal ratings

Guided By Voices

Devil Between My Toes - 7.0/10

Sandbox - 7.5/10

Self Inflicted Aerial Nostalgia - 7/10

Same Place The Fly Got Smashed - 6.5/10

Propeller - 8.5/10

Vampire On Titus - 7.5/10

Bee Thousand 8.5/10

Alien Lanes - 9/10

Under The Bushes, Under The Stars - 9.5/10

Mag Earwhig - 8.5/10

Do The Collapse - 5/10

Isolation Drills - 7/10

Universal Truths and Cycles - 6/10

Earthquake Glue - 7.5/10

Half Smiles of The Decomposed - 7/10

Lets Go Eat The Factory - 6.5/10

Class Clown Spots a UFO - 8.5/10

The Bears For Lunch - 7/10

English Little League - 8/10

Motivational Jumpsuit - 7.5/10

Cool Planet - 6/10
>>
>>65344708
Start with Bee Thousand, for sure.

Propeller was pretty good, too.
>>
>>65344367
Pollard seems kind of like he's an asshole that would be hard to be around. Look at how much the lineup for his band has changed. Then the Bee Thousand lineup got back together two times a couple of years ago and promptly split up again.

Pollard IS gbv though.
>>
>>65344708
Alright. Here's my recommended listening order:
1. Propeller
2. Bee Thousand
3. Alien Lanes
4. Under the Bushes, Under the Stars
5. Bears For Lunch
6. Earthquake Glue
7. Isolation Drills
8. Self-Inflicted Aerial Nostalgia

Those basically cover all the bases, so from there, listen to the records from whichever era you enjoyed the best.
>>
>>65344777
This basically
UTBUTS might be their best, because, while Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes might have a weak song or two, the worst UTBUTS ever has is a song that sounds kinda familiar.
>>
I've never really gotten the appeal of GBV's honestly. Just sounds like one chord songs with underdeveloped melodies drowned in cheap amp distortion. What am I missing?
>>
>>65344367
1. Ian MacKaye
2. Lisa Germano
3. David Tibet
4. Mark Kozelek
5. Trey Anastasio
>>
>>65345036
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mxjpcVYSzk
>>
>>65345036
His voice and his lyricism
>>
>>65345240
the melodies are way better than the lyrics though
>>
>>65345300
they are both equally awesome tho
>>
Isaac Brock
>>
poopy jock rock
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.