[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is almost 20years old too old to sing if he never did before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 1464670216823.jpg (42 KB, 546x319) Image search: [Google]
1464670216823.jpg
42 KB, 546x319
As the title says is it possible considering I have no idea how to sing since I NEVER did it before.If so please tell me what books/articles/video would help me to start from the beginning and most basic things.
>>
>>65298459
Also if its even possible I will just use it as a bonus instrument so i don't expect to become a singer or anything.
>>
>>65298459
When you say never before, did you ever sing in the shower? Or do choral stuff in school? Sing along with music?
>>
>>65298646
Yep I never sang even in the shower.I know it might sound strange but I never had the need to.We never had any choral stuff and also never felt the need to sing along.
>>
cmon
>>
>>65299240
MOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
If you have to ask it is already too late.
>>
>>65300280
I just dont want to waste my time if its too late at that age considering most singers start from really young age
>>
b
>>
u
>>
>>65298459
It's never too late, bro.
>>
>>65301033
>bro
i guess it bait?
>>
>>65301046
meant its a bait
ALSO
bump
>>
If you're not a tenor, don't bother.
>>
>>65302442
why?
>>
>>65298459
Bro it's never too late, just start fucking singing to everything. Listen to the way your voice sounds. Just do it all the time, you'll naturally pick up on things.
>>
I mean you'll probably never be a world class singer but you can learn to sing on the level of most pop/rock musicians in just a few months
why would it be too late

stop looking for excuses and just do it
>>
>>65302899
Like I said already I know that I will not and I don't even want to be a world class singer just want to my voice to sound semi decent because I recently got again into post-punk darkwave and freakfolk and want to incorporate some things from there.
>>
>>65302990
Then do it! What >>65302899 said just start singing
>>
>>65303075
I will but I'm sure there is more to it than that.
>>
>>65303101
There's really not, you need to listen to your own voice the same way you would any other voice that you're listening to for enjoyment and analyze what you like and don't like. Find out how to make the sounds you want to make, experiment, scream, use youtube...

The biggest mistake anyone can make is not starting something.
>>
Would definitely recommend getting a voice coach or singing lessons for at least a couple of weeks/months just to get the fundamentals down, which is crucial to do properly. Books and videos might have some useful tips and tricks but they can't give you feedback on what you're actually doing, especially since everyone's voice is so unique.
>>
>>65303101
Not really bro. Just go for it.

I didn't start singing til I was 22, and now its one of my favourite things to do. Building confidence in one's voice is easier if you like how you sound. That confidence is key to exploring more with your voice and being more unashamedly expressive as a vocalist.

Singing into mics takes practice with learning distance/volume, but singing while playing an instrument can help you stay in key and explore your range within said key.

You won't get any better unless you start trying.
>>
>>65302899
>you can learn to sing on the level of most pop/rock musicians in just a few months

I've always wondered this.

A lot of rock band singers, particularly since the 1980s, have not been technically "good" but have been celebrated and praised for their distinctive and passionate voices.

What kind of effort and skill does it take to be a passable singer in a band? How shit is too shit? Can you just get in a room with some friends who play instruments and a microphone and rehearse until you sound natural?

I know that a few really famous band singers, like Michael Stipe of R.E.M., didn't start singing until late and did so without having any formal training whatsoever and while knowing no instruments. Just wondering what it takes to follow that same route.
>>
File: 456.jpg (37 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
456.jpg
37 KB, 500x333
What would you like to do?

Sing in a band?
Sing in a choir?
Sing alone?

You can build a sound around almost any voice. Look at artist like Bob Dylan, Pwr Bottom, Tokyo Police Club, The Smiths, From Autumn To Ashes, and more are all artist with honestly pretty shit singers, but they made it work. You can too.

20 years old isn't old nor is it too late. Jeff Tweedy didn't start Wilco until he was 28. Bill Withers didn't start until his 30's. James Murphy started LCD SoundSystem in his late 20's. Wed Montgomery started when he was 20. The Ramones were in their mid-20's when they formed.

Go for it man. Don't worry about any of that shit. Unless you want to use your voice exclusively, as in join a voicing group or choir or accapella or something, then voice training is unnessecary beyond things you can learn from google. Drink water, throat exercises, simple stuff. But lots of successful musicians don't even do those.

Do your thing man don't worry bout it.
>>
>a lot of famousvrock singers just started doing it when they formed a band
>how do i just start doing it

you are vastly over thinking this
>>
>>65298539
>instrument
Vocals are not an instrument. If your lyrics suck, don't bother using vocals at all. You're good enough to write instrumental music, right?
>>
>>65303564
whats wrong with morrisey voice?
like i said already i will do solo work and want to incorporate my voice in.
>>65303662
yeah but they probably had talent.if it was that easy there were not going to be so much cringe videos from these music idol formats.
>>
>>65303730
i meant instrument as as something to add to the music and i want to sing mostly because of the lyrics.
>>
>>65303738
>like i said already i will do solo work and want to incorporate my voice in

Yea and like I just fuckin said, don't worry about it. Sing dude. Just sing. like what do you even mean by incorporate your voice into your pre-existing solo stuff? You gonna do scatt sounds or some shit? Generally instrumentation is built around vocal leads.

Listen, if you are wanting to have lead vocals, and instrumentation working around it, like singer-songwriter stuff or just normal vocal work then don't worry about your voice just go for it and make the sound tailored around it.

If you are doing something else then idk what to tell you, all you are willing to say is basically you want to pepper in your voice over pre-existing or mostly instrumental songs, which makes no fucking sense.
>>
>>65303788
no worries that guy is bullshitting anyway. sigur ros
>>
>>65303853
I first want to see if its worth to even try working on my voice and if it is I will obviously make my music around it because like I said already I want to sing mostly because the lyrics.Its nothing special that I will do with my voice since I want my lyrics to be on focus more than my voice but I also dont want to sound like a complete moron.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.