[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/advanced/ General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 16
File: 1464234502254.gif (35 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1464234502254.gif
35 KB, 800x800
This general is for the discussion of music that does not get attention from the rest of /mu/. Post the albums/artists you never get to discuss and use this thread as a place to focus /mu/'s more thoughtful listeners.
>>
File: andrew_norman_play_try.jpg (55 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
andrew_norman_play_try.jpg
55 KB, 620x372
Let's get the ball rolling:

Who's your favorite composer who's still writing music in this decade? Andrew Norman has been a recent favorite of mine.
>>
File: periphery-530ec87434760.jpg (732 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
periphery-530ec87434760.jpg
732 KB, 1000x1000
>>
I wish this general would actually take off :(
>>
>>65277549
It can if you just post music in it!
>>
>>65277568
I think it's ironically too unfocused. You can pay attention to so many aspects of music. I consider myself a "thoughtful listener" but I don't know any composers.
>>
>>65277592
just post music you like that doesn't get attention in /mu/ proper
>>
File: alt-mu.png (24 KB, 728x727) Image search: [Google]
alt-mu.png
24 KB, 728x727
/alt-mu/

A general for those who want to discuss music that isn't posted often

This thread is not meant to be elitist, it's just some of us aren't always able to talk about our favourite albums, especially when they are ignored in favor of more popular releases (i.e. /mu/-core, p4k BNM, and the same old). This means no general essentials or latest hype albums allowed. Do no troll or derail the thread with non-musical or off-topic discussion.

What music have you been enjoying lately?
>>
File: 81QRwvyymjL._SL1500_.jpg (304 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
81QRwvyymjL._SL1500_.jpg
304 KB, 1500x1500
Is this advanced enough?
>>
Does /advanced/ like black metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0
>>
File: Faithless_No_Roots.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Faithless_No_Roots.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
This is the most consistent album ever IMO. Everything is in the same key which is really interesting. Certain songs lyrics reference other song titles too.

>Everything will be alright tomorrow
>>
>>65277625
way better
>>
File: niteversions.jpg (155 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
niteversions.jpg
155 KB, 319x319
Other instances where the remix album is a billion times better than the original?
>>
File: turnycore.jpg (4 MB, 2100x2100) Image search: [Google]
turnycore.jpg
4 MB, 2100x2100
I'm really enjoying turnycore atm, upbeat wonky leftfield electronic percussion kind of music.
>>
>>65277739
Sounds good, I'll try it.
>>
>>65277739
Insomnia is they're only good song.
>>
>>65277360
>>65277625

both sound autistic desu
>>
/advanced/ aka /aspie/ general
>>
>>65277625
This pasta is much better.

>>65277739
I need to get into Faithless again. When I was younger, I really enjoyed everything I heard from them and Reverence is really good album from the 90s.

I have recently found Aube, japanese noise and musique concrete artist. His approach of using very limited source material as thematic for each album is very interesting to me. Cardiac Strain was a very interesting album and Hydrophobia, on the first listen, definitely had an interesting aesthetic.
>>
>>65278100
>>65278131
Beats another Death Grips or Grimes spam thread.
>>
>>65277739
I remember when i was shitty kid who only liked metal.

I bought this album for like 7 bucks cause the name sounded MEDAL AS FUCK 666. Turned out it REALLY fucking wasn't.

Maybe now im not such a piece of shit anymore i might give it a relisten
>>
File: matmos-ultimate-care-ii.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
matmos-ultimate-care-ii.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1600
>>65278150
Have you heard Ultimate Care II? It might not be alternative enough for this thread, since Fantano reviewed it.
>>
>>65278317
No, I have not heard it. I will listen to it now. Thank you, anon.
>>
>>65278151
I'm not disagreeing with you
it just sounds like it's trying too hard, and will only attract people who are trying too hard
ie
>I have recently found Aube, japanese noise and musique concrete artist. His approach of using very limited source material as thematic for each album is very interesting to me. Cardiac Strain was a very interesting album and Hydrophobia, on the first listen, definitely had an interesting aesthetic.

what we need is a thread where people just share something obscure they find, along with a youtube link and some genre tags and a quick description

basically a share thread that doesn't limit contributors to people who are willing to upload, but still want to share music
>>
>>65278407
No, because the point of /advanced/ is to discuss and no one ever discusses anything when they can hit and run a thread with a YouTube link.

I think /advanced/ should rotate topics like genre, featured artist, etc. to keep discussion focused but broad enough that anyone who meets the criteria of posting has something to contribute.
>>
>>65278407
The problem with this thread and with /trad/ which I like, thats still a shitload of music in one thread and its rare you find people with similar tastes, its worth trying and would like to see it take off but having tried different kinds of threads before, there just isn't enough interest generally.
>>
>>65278407
also how the fuck is describing a recent discovery and recent listen trying too hard? you sound like an embryo who wants to get /advanced/ to spoon feed you
>>
>>65277405
For lack of a better choice, Jurg Frey makes some cool music

>>65277625
While more inviting than /advanced/ it also sounds way edgier

>>65278448
>no one ever discusses anything when they can hit and run a thread with a YouTube link
This tbqh. Youtube link threads are way less productive than any Grimes or DG thread.

>I think /advanced/ should rotate topics
Good idea (in need of good execution though)

>>65278497
>Being unnecessarily antagonistic
To what end
>>
>>65278407
Would responding to this post be derailing?

Instead, I will just share that Aube album I talked about. You can listen if you want to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avoPEjm-EVo
>>
>>65278365
It's fucking great. Not so much because of the limited source material, but rather because it actually is a great album.

Both Aphix and M.E.S.H. just released an EP each, I think both are very good, although as what goes for M.E.S.H. I still prefer Piteous Gate and think the last two tracks are by far the best. Anyone else who's listened to any of them?
>>
File: 4hero.jpg (742 KB, 920x920) Image search: [Google]
4hero.jpg
742 KB, 920x920
Anyone like 4hero and many aliases up in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfHtqMOZcZc
>>
>>65278675
I have listened to Two Pages a whole lot, I really enjoy the first part of that album. The introduction of upright bass is a really simple thing but it adds so much.
>>
File: a blessed unrest.jpg (368 KB, 1111x1106) Image search: [Google]
a blessed unrest.jpg
368 KB, 1111x1106
This is a fantastic album that no one on /mu/ has ever heard of.
>>
File: MI0002124934.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MI0002124934.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
i'm fucking loving this righrt now, i heard "let your body learn" in a club on saturday and it was mental
>>
File: Wync_Inhale-front-large.jpg (494 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Wync_Inhale-front-large.jpg
494 KB, 500x500
I found this once on some random /mu/ thread somewhere between half a year and a year ago and have never seen it brought up since, which is a real shame because it's a genuinely great mixtape. Wync's other work is still solid, but not quite as good as Inhale imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYBXClUnnGM
>>
>>65278788
I feel like Nitzer Ebb hasn't aged as well/had as much direct influence as the more atmospheric, grim industrial music of that time. It sounds a little campy these days, imo. I would flip my shit if I heard "Let Your Body Learn" in a club, though. That sounds like a great time.
>>
>>65277819
Not exactly a remix, but there's an amazing cover of Drake's "Hold On, We're Going Home" by Bear's Den on YouTube. Much better than the original.
>>
>>65278747
I've never heard of this indeed. Care to elaborate a bit?
>>
>>65278947
His voice is a bit too average for my taste but yeah it's definitely better than the original.
>>
>>65278947
lol

I honestly don't understand how all kinds of different, experimental electronic music doesn't dominate /mu or at least is discussed more, it's 2016 for fucks sake.
>>
File: Makaya McCraven - In The Moment.jpg (271 KB, 864x864) Image search: [Google]
Makaya McCraven - In The Moment.jpg
271 KB, 864x864
Anyone here know this album? Incredible jazz with offbeat production and hip hop influence, but never seems to get any traction when I mention it in jazz threads. One of my favorites.

A lot of stuff on the International Anthem record label is really fucking good, and seems to be unheard of.
>>
>>65280445
Most of /mu/ are rocktards or listen to memerap
>>
File: krallice-ygg.jpg (526 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
krallice-ygg.jpg
526 KB, 1200x1200
can we talk about how batshit crazy this album is? i can't believe more people didn't freak out about this thing when it came out. i've never heard anything so complex and relentless before. the composition here is absolutely insane, and i mean that in the literal sense of the word
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Z7xiH9Kcg
>>
File: Cover.jpg (276 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
276 KB, 500x500
You guys all are posting interesting albums, but have you heard this hidden gem from the 90s? The Japanese were truly the masters of dub music.
>>
>>65283203
why did this become such a huge meme? it's not even that good
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.