[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a better artist in the past 10 years. You can't.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: topsters2.jpg (64 KB, 764x764) Image search: [Google]
topsters2.jpg
64 KB, 764x764
Name a better artist in the past 10 years.
You can't.
>>
guess /mu/ is 2pleb4actress
sigh
>>
>>65261338
>>65261687
maybe if you expressed your opinion less autistically

only listened to splazsh and i didn't care for it, but it's been a while. why do you like him?
>>
>>65262264
No one else sounds like him. In addition, he has a fantastic understanding of counterpoint and harmony.
>>
Actress is a modern day example of what I believe is that we should find a way to enjoy music that doesn't just look at the quality of albums as a whole.

All of Actress' LP releases are inconsistent as fuck. There's a lot of unnecessary stuff in there. But at the same time when he's at his best in each of those he really shines and does something unique and interesting musically, too.

So while maybe it might seem like I don't like the guy because I think his albums as a whole are mediocre, I still think he's fucking fantastic because he genuinely has some 10/10 tracks despite that.
>>
>>65261687
welcome. /mu/ used to circle jerk him a few years back.
>>
>>65262637
I came in mid 2013 and most people didn't like Ghettoville
>>
>>65262654
thats true, but they loved RIP.
>>
>>65262310
listen to his dj kicks... en entire hour long mix of every other artist who sounds similar

there is a HUGE world of hazy afterclub electronics, you only know actress because he broke the p4k/fantano barrier
>>
>>65262671
i love actress but his dj kicks is perhaps one of the most terribly mixed things i've ever heard
>>
what did he mean by this?
https://twitter.com/ctress_a/status/737044952778199047
>>
>>65262690
djing isnt just about seamless mixing
>>
>>65262744
when it comes putting out a tape, yeah it is. that and song choice flow.
>>
>>65262671
Come on you're not going to tell me that Actress is mediocre.
>oh wow they have some slight stylistic similarity, that means all of Actress' sound and creativity is invalid
Fuck off retard
>>
>>65262744
i don't expect it to be flawless mate - if i did i'd listen to a turntablist, but this was just plain jarring.
>>
>>65262777
not him but he didn't voice his opinion on actress. he just said there are other artists that sound like him.
>>
>>65262754
>>65262779
if you think the disjointedness of the whole thing wasn't intentional then you're naive

>>65262777
point me exactly to where i said he was mediocre/uncreative

you sound insecure
>>
>>65262817
never said that. just said that those are the thing you consider when putting out a tape
>>
>>65262833
consider? sure

though i don't agree that the sole fact something is released should mean you're obliged to adhere to some arbitrary professional standard
>>
>>65262875
>i don't agree that the sole fact something is released should mean you're obliged to adhere to some arbitrary professional standard
which is again, something i never said. the choice to make it disjointed is just that, a choice. theres not more two it than those two things.
>>
>>65262875
maybe for me, it was because the mixing was haphazard and ALSO because the selection was a bit uninspired imo. so i just didn't find anything interesting about it.
>>
>>65262899
i'm really fucking tired so probably shouldn't be discussing things online but i swear in >>65262754 you said that in putting out a tape it should be seamlessly mixed
>>
>>65262811
>>65262817
see >>65262671
>there is a HUGE world of hazy afterclub electronics, you only know actress because he broke the p4k/fantano barrier
>>
>>65262931
there's no slight against actress in that statement tho?
>>
>>65262931
yes, i am aware.
>>
>>65262931
nowhere did i say that made actress bad you fucking idiot lol, i have nearly all of his records
>>
>>65262961
>>65262967
If you didn't intend it as such then that's fine, but the way that's phrased says
>there's a lot of people that sound like him, you only know him because P4k/Fantano
Which is just bullshit.
>>
>>65263001
but there are a lot of people that sound like him and he is one of the few to even tap into the mainstream. listen to more music
>>
>>65263037
There we go, now again see: >>65262777

The trips never lie.
>>
>>65263001
actress is hugely visible because of said media coverage, therefore it follows that you know him because of this, no?

this isn't a negative thing in the slightest mate, i don't know why you're being so defensive. you mentioned that no one sounds like him, i said that was false (it is), and that you probably only think that because he made it big and is now surface level
>>
>>65263001
>>65263060
i think you're stuck in that /mu/ mentality where popular = bad therefore that anon's comment comes across as negative, but it isn't. actress was given a huge platform and loads of coverage - music writers were calling him the next autechre ffs. so yeah, loads of people have heard of him. that's doesn't take way from his talent.
>>
>>65263070
>>65263156
When I hear the phrase "sounds like him" it's 90% of the time not accurate.
Basically it means some aspect of their aesthetic timbrally is used, but usually the music lacks any bit of the charm or creativity of the original artist.
>>
r.i.p. is head and shoulders above the rest of his catalog imo

i liked ghettoville when it first came out but it's plodding as fuck to me now
>>
>>65263248
splazsh >>>>
>>
>>65263209
>the phrase "sounds like him"
>some aspect of their aesthetic timbrally is used
i think that's fair. 'charm and creativity' are hugely subjective, and usually come down to musical paratext like track titles, artwork, et cetera - but also things like an overall narrative by the pacing and flow of a record

and in that sense nobody really "sounds like" anyone other than themselves, save for the rare case of an obvious pastiche
>>
>>65263275
way too fucking long man
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.