[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do the bands feel the need to go political? You're dating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: runthebern.jpg (68 KB, 658x378) Image search: [Google]
runthebern.jpg
68 KB, 658x378
Why do the bands feel the need to go political? You're dating your material and inevitably gonna lose fans.
>>
because they feel like they're making a difference

they're not
>>
>>65243537
>You're dating your material
'no'
>>
They peaked with their solo material anyways
>>
Artists like Bob Dylan, The Clash, and Rage Against the Machine are all still celebrated and listened to today. You may argue that the topics they sang about are dated, but if people like the music then it won't matter.
>>
Because they care about politics.
>>
personally I mostly like political rap when it's from a deep guttural place, speaking on your own experiences. But dating material is cool, i don't care if it's cell phones or politics
>>
>>65243537
history reshits itself.
politics has been corrupt since the beginning of politics. police brutality, racism, corprate control, it will never end. music just goes towards the cause
>>
>>65243924
>corporate*
>>
>>65243537
as if most of the politcal songs of bob dylan aren't just as relevant today
>>
>>65243924
>police brutality, racism
lmao
>>
File: Cows.jpg (69 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
Cows.jpg
69 KB, 500x383
>implying that music & arts aren't forms of social commentary to share ideas and unrest about politics
>>
>>65243950
because they're so vague, general, and nebulous
>>
>>65244139
Not really, though. He addresses American immigration policies pretty specifically
>>
>>65243814
/thread
>>
File: plebs.jpg (38 KB, 400x402) Image search: [Google]
plebs.jpg
38 KB, 400x402
>>65243537
>he sees music as 'dated'
>>
You have to think about what it is that matters in your music. Is it more important for you to make something that will last in history forever or to make a difference in society NOW? Granted, for a musician both of these are complete pipe dreams, but you have to have an ideology of some kind.
>>
>>65243537
Endorsing a presidential candidate isn't the same as making your music political, unless that endorsement upsets you so badly that every time you hear a RTJ song you get a mental picture of Bernie Sanders giving you free healthcare.
>>
>>65243537
Yeah man its not like using music to get political messages across hasn't been done for millennia
>>
>>65244166
Are you talking about I Pity The Poor Immigrant? Because that song's about the experience of the American immigrant from a Christian perspective, and it doesn't directly address policy in any way
>>
>>65244056
this

I hate how cucked by authority young people seem to be these days
>>
>>65244323
It really bugs me how there is no form of protest that won't be slandered, not just by the opposition, but by the general public these days.

Do it online and you're an armchair activist (although I'll agree this is by far the laziest)
Do it innocuously in person and you're labeled an ignorant bum and ignored
Do it in a way that is hard to ignore in person and you're just a troublemaker and people go against your cause out of spite

How did things get this way?
>>
>>65244351
People talked shit about political activists back then, you just have to have spine and deal with it. It's their problem, but it's also yours.
>>
>>65243537
Are people suppose to care about them "going political"?
>>
>>65244351
well said man, i agree
>>
>>65244433
Actually yes. They want people to transfer their fandom for a band to follow the ideas the artists themselves support.
>>
>>65243598
which was political too. (which is no problem by the way)
>>
File: 158493.jpg (19 KB, 300x293) Image search: [Google]
158493.jpg
19 KB, 300x293
>tfw remembering all those shitty anti-Bush punk and metal albums

Literally aged like milk.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.