[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Guilty Pleasure that you like and dont want /mu/tants to know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Another_Green_World.jpg (33 KB, 494x483) Image search: [Google]
Another_Green_World.jpg
33 KB, 494x483
ITT: Guilty Pleasure that you like and dont want /mu/tants to know
>>
Weird bate.
>>
>>65172663
>caring about what virgins on a Thai cgi forum think about your taste
>>
>>65172663
What's there to be guilty about
>>
>>65172663
>liking rock music made by Eno
I'd be embarrassed too my guy

pic is my guilty pleasure
>>
>>65172663
>>65172742
His rock/pop music is grating as fuck, and his ambient stuff is just boring. Eno is hugely overrated.
>>
>>65172779
i think his collab ambient albums like Ambient 2 and Fourth World Vol. 1 are killer. the windows 95 start up sound is also a banger.
>>
>>65172779
To quote an MST3K gag: "stop that whispery hissing, you sound like a Brian Eno record!"

Actually, to be honest, I never understood that gag. I placed the quote to maybe make some of you happy. Thing is, I'm not that familiar with Eno's music, aside from the mostly mediocre stuff he'd done with Bowie, and the ambient albums that give Yanni and Kitaro a run for their sleeping-pill money.

I mean, come on. Look at the mathematics equation:

70s + Bowie producer + eclectic + minimalism + arty album covers + drone drudgery + ambient mushroom music = hipsters take notice

What is ambient music? It's basically meditation music, which is to say it's on par with elevator music, just less complex and original. You take a tune and you do the opposite of a techno DJ, i.e. you slow it down 100 times, which means it takes a melody a full 20 minutes to finish one cycle until it starts its torturous journey all over again, forcing you to yoga your meditating arms and legs to the point of alanismorissetteness. Ambient "artiiiistes" don't even have to write their own music! You can steal anyone's tune, best if it's something from a movie soundtrack nobody will ever recognize, and by slowing it down so much you render the melody virtually unrecognizable. Sort of like taking a classic novel and distributing all the words across a vast batch of fjords. Try this yourself. Take a thrash metal song and slow it down to the beat of Star Trek episode "Wink Of An Eye", and voila! Suddenly it's a tune you can stretch your shaven metrosexual legs to.

"Praising" Eno for being the "inventor of ambient music" is like taking pride in having ejected the longest fart in a frat house. Let me know when he invents something useful.

And he sings like a lethargic bank clerk. Hipsters love it when the "artiiiste" displays monotonous apathy in his vocal non-prowess, because being a lazy hack is always misinterpreted as an essential characteristic of a person pursuing high artistry.
>>
I guess thinking that everything the Flaming Lips did from 1990 through 2002 beats Embryonic is my guilty pleasure.
>>
>>65172855
w-w-w-was this supposed to be a comedy bit?
>>65172861
the correct pleasure to have
>>
>>65172663
What on earth is guilty about this wonder of an album?

Another Green World was a favorite of Bowie.
It helped him dry out, hook up with Eno in Berlin and record Low and Heroes.

AGE is one of the best albums of the 70's.
>>
>>65172663
>>65172742
nothing to be guilty about here, both of these are great
>>
>>65172855
have fun with that shit opinion, bud
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.