[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - Music Production General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16
File: dick owen space age shoes.jpg (74 KB, 640x851) Image search: [Google]
dick owen space age shoes.jpg
74 KB, 640x851
Where my /prod/ nigs at?

>DISCUSS
>ASK FOR ADVICE
>FOR FEEDBACK USE CLYP.IT

Question of the day: Who's the most overrated producer ever?
>>
https://clyp.it/u5g2d5nt pls give feedback lads

The answer is Madlib.
>>
Tips for Noobs:

>those boring ass drums
Everybody does it, and it's boring.
If you insist on keeping the basic structure, you can change up the snare a little.
See clyp.it for example.

>drums
Having the snare sound exactly the same is boring.
In the clyp.it, I just took the exact same snare sample, but lowered the pitch a little.
Now, my snare hits don't sound exactly the same.

https://clyp.it/vypmcsqn

>I swear I've heard that melody before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdocl83j6Cg
>>
rick rubin obvs
>>
File: bPP.png (431 KB, 538x470) Image search: [Google]
bPP.png
431 KB, 538x470
can someone ID this controller, it looks like the perfect size for some live shit i am planning
>>
>>65173278
I believe that is some variant of the Korg Microkey

https://clyp.it/l0sd3hj2
>>
>>65172744
Your bass is basic, mate. You need more melodic variation. Maybe some rhythmic variation, as well.

That distorted guitar sound, to me, sounds like it could use a little less treble, or it could be warmer sounding.

For the piano part that starts it off, those notes that go between the chords, or anything that isn't a chord, is getting lost in everything else. They need more emphasis, they need to be louder.

About that distorted guitar sounding part again, it needs to be more melodic, definitely. It repeats too much.

>only 2 minutes
It could use a piano solo or something.
Not only because it's short should it get a piano solo, you just repeat that piano part that starts in the beginning too much.
It wasn't so bad in the beginning, but you get too familiar with it as it keeps repeating.

Personally, it just sounds a little off without a kick or bass drum.

That hi-hat part that starts around 1:00, those are high hats. They're drums, drums thrive on being polyrhythmic.

Now that I think about it, that 2nd piano part could be more complex, it could both more rhythmic and melodic variation.
>>
worked on this for about 3 days normally I'm a little too eager to finish things and rush things out in a few hours. still have to iron out some kinks and maybe reorganize. lemme know what you think

https://clyp.it/hns2scdk
>>
>>65173278
Just another money-wasting plastic toy. Nothing new.

>>65172744
Percussion when?

>>65173723
clipping just ever so slightly
>>
>>65173825

I'm pretty aware it clips
>>
>>65173723
pretty cool. certain elements reminded me of hrvatski.

you got any more?
>>
https://clyp.it/53br32gn

Copypasta from previous threads.
I feel like its almost done. Hopefully my senpai notices me.
>>
i posted an earlier version of this track here yesterday and it got mixed opinions, people said it was simultaneously produced well and produced badly and said that it was full of really interesting musical ideas and also full of no interesting musical ideas

can i have some thoughts on this please?

i've released it officially now but i still don't know how people feel about it

https://clyp.it/pmohrqjb
>>
>>65175179

imho it sounds pretty close to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYL3o6hHzJo

maybe too close

that saw stab is annoying. i would get rid of it
>>
>>65172450
i tried getting into nujabes because everyone said i'd like him based off the music i produce and it was so terrible

every song i listened to was literally 2 musically unrelated samples smashed together in a neglectful manner with a semi rhythmical drum loop and almost no sound design on any of it
>>
>>65175809
i can see the similarities to the rhythm & sound track in the first half (especially considering they're one of my influences)

what do you mean by the saw stab? the dub chord i've used in the first half?
>>
How to get into music theory? Specifically i want to write music like jpop and animu music which sounds very complicated musically
>>
>>65176049
that bass-y sound that builds up and gets louder at 1:50 onwards

imho it doesn't add anything to the track, it just distracts from the nice pads and overall atmosphere. I'd get rid of it completely
>>
>>65176214
oh you mean the acid line

it's kind of the centrepiece for the entire track
>>
>>65176323

oh ok

I don't like it at all pham. I've heard some of your stuff before, on /bleep/ too. I like everything but that acid line just sounds completely out of place.

just my 0.2
>>
>>65176198
https://www.musictheory.net/lessons
>>
>>65176437
what about in the second half? (from like 4:00 onwards)?
>>
>>65176467
in the second half the acid thing is more bearable, but still suffers from not really being that interesting or doing anything to justify its existence

I'd put something else instead. Maybe a string section that counterpoints the bassline? a vocal sample?
>>
Does anyone have a reliable place to get ableton?

all the versions i found dont work/need a password to access the files.
>>
>>65176570
does this sound more agreeable?

https://clyp.it/betbtmbj

i don't think i'm going to be changing the acid line in the second half for anything like a vocal or string section though
>>
too cluttered?
https://clyp.it/pdbcnkgo
>>
>>65176644
tpb senpai
>>
>>65172450
Probably Just Blaze or Kanye West. Kanye was GOAT with MBDTF but after that he was just churning out shit. Just Blaze was never good tbhfam.
>>
>>65176843
there's a weird dissonance at 1:00, 4:05 and 5:10 between the dub chord and everything else. it sounds off key. was that on purpose?
acid line blends pretty nicely now
I think you're going the right direction

>0.2
>>
>>65177010
>Kanye was GOAT with MBDTF

I agree, except for that whole "how do you want your dynamic range pham" thing. seriously
>>
>>65176934
jesus how fucking loud
>>
>>65177098
it's too loud?
>>
>>65173278
Akai LPK25
I have a closet with 15 or so of them
>>
>>65177139
Yeah blew my fucking ear out bro.

Other than that it's really nice, has a cool vibe to it. You need to bring the lead forward more though, the way it is now, the chopped vocal pad is taking most of the attention.
Even overtaking the drums, wich kinda takes away the groove of the track.
>>
>>65177139
you'd think that anons here would be used to listening to music with plenty of headroom, but lolnope
>>
>>65177183
thanks senpai i'll fix that

is it rly that loud tho?
I'm not even pushing the limiter that hard
>>
>>65177031
thanks for the heads up, was a dodjy pitching that i missed, a sample remnant from one of the first versions (been working on this track for about 2 months, there's about 4 different versions of it now, but this one is the best one)

should sound better now

https://clyp.it/co12n0m3
>>
>>65177266
It is for me. I'm listening on headphones though.
>>
my brother wants me to make hiphop beats for his friends so I made a pad in serum

hiphop production seems like it'd be really boring

https://clyp.it/z51rj1bm
>>
>>65177266
don't worry about that anon, the last thing you want to do is turn everything down, you're supposed to control the overall volume with whatever your output stage is (I.E. your computer volume if you're listening on headphones). It's all a part of the process of gain staging, and if you keep your project quiet, you'll need to crank up the gain (introducing distortion) when you want to make it loud. It's basically good practice to keep everything as loud as it can possibly be until the output stage.

tl;dr, that anon was an idiot
>>
https://clyp.it/h0yz23lq

Sampled my housemates talking thru the wall and made some lofi techno with it. Every sound except the clap is from the recording. The chords and melody are very short looped samples. They evicted me today. Any feedback?
>>
>>65177420
>They evicted me today
how'd you manage that?
>>
>>65177420
nice Huerco S. vibes, it'd really benefit from some atmospheric pads or something in the background and perhaps some sidechaining
>>
File: 1451908675803.jpg (7 KB, 218x197) Image search: [Google]
1451908675803.jpg
7 KB, 218x197
>>65177365
>>
Is this good spooky music anons?

https://clyp.it/d2e11ddq
>>
>>65177451
I got told in a message this morning. They (a couple) decided they wanted the house back to themselves.

Maybe I'm just gross and smoke to much weed and stay up all night making too much noise. I probably do a bunch of annoying shit. No issues were raised tho.
>>
File: 1429943963657.jpg (96 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
1429943963657.jpg
96 KB, 596x628
>>65177329
>drums and a couple of saw waves

Yeah, that'll make any genre boring pham.
>>
>>65177365
lol thanks i'll look more into proper gain staging because i've never heard that term before

did you like the track tho?
>>
>>65177496
Is your lease up? Or were you just going by the month. Legally, they can't get you to leave until the lease terms are over.
>>
Are there any FREE DJ programs where I can do effects like pitch ,tempo phaser etc because in fl takes years and it gets bugged really easy.
>>
>>65177463
>hurr, I don't know what gain staging is
>I'll just use a reaction image
>turn it down for me, it's too loud and my fat fingers cant reach the volume bar right on the clyp.it
>>
>>65177365
>>
>>65177534
Just a non-formal arrangement between friends. I always said if they change their minds to just let me know, I understand. It's not a huge problem really.
>>
>>65177513
Yeah, I liked the pitch thing going on at 5 sec
It doesn't sound too cluttered, you could probably add more if you wanted
>>
>>65177574
>new namefag
>misuses memes
go figure
>>
>>65177623
was getting mad part of your plan?
>>
>>65177593
YO! thanks a bunch i was kinda skeptical about bending to that note but i'm glad to know it works
>>
>>65177572
Jeez, that image really triggered you didn't it?

Have fun trying to release music commercially with the volume being all over the place.
I'm sure the radio station will warn their listeners to crank down that volume for the track thats coming up.

>gain staging is a mixing process
>track is already ultra loud in the mix

Enjoy having no headroom and dynamic range when mastering m8.
>>
>>65177574
yeh except nothing was clipping on the track
>>
>>65176934
>too cluttered.
No it still maintains its basic feel, sounds really good. It may or may not be too loud though.

>>65175179
This seems produced pretty well, there's some nice and interesting sounds in there. I'm also not convinced about the acid line. I'm a pretty minimal kinda person though so even if you removed it ther'd be plenty going on. Most dub stuff is pretty minimal anyway.
>>
How come /prod/ is full of namefags now? We don't really need that do we?
>>
>>65177787
I dont even really notice it, I dont check to see if everyone is Anonymous.

Frankly, complaining about namefags is like feminazis complaining about traffic cones being too penis shaped.

Also, anyone else getting these stupid french captchas?
>>
>>65177659
>headroom
>dynamic range
you have no clue what those words mean, do you?

dynamic range is a R A N G E. if you make your track quiet, you lose all of the range

if your track is too quiet, you have no headroom, because any amplification you give it will just introduce more and more distortion

I know this because I actually have a need for amplifying things. You control the output volume with the master fader, not by making your tracks super quiet.

When it comes to releasing commercial tracks, everything is compressed to lose all dynamic range anyways, so you end up with all tracks having the same amplitude.

You know the whole reason we have higher bit depths available in DAWs? It's so you can use more dynamic range, your louds can be louder, and quiet moments be further away from the louds. It's pointless if you're just going to turn everything down before you bounce.

Seriously. Stop trying to pretend to know shit you don't.
>>
>>65177834
>Stop trying to pretend to know shit you don't.

m8...
>>
>>65177659
Does this >>65177495 need gain staging, all my clyp.its seem really quiet compared to all the ear blasters posted on here?
>>
>>65177850
You don't need to reply. You can choose to save face instead.
You're not really gaining anything by implying I'm wrong without anything to point out why.
>>
>>65177817
I normally only really notice it when someone is being a dick or being offensive in these threads.
I was just curious really as quite a few have sprung up recently.
>>
>>65177878
We're not going to get to a point where we agree with each other, so I'm not going to waste time to try and convince you of anything.
>>
>>65177878
>Saving face
>Anonymous
>>
>>65177918
But it's just plain bad mixing if you don't keep the output at unity until it needs to come down. That's like live sound 101
>>
>>65177834
>>65177834
>if your track is too quiet, you have no headroom

If you're peaking at -10 dBFS how the fuck does that mean you have no headroom?

>You know the whole reason we have higher bit depths available in DAWs? It's so you can use more dynamic range, your louds can be louder, and quiet moments be further away from the louds

Literally fucking retarded. If you're rendering down from 24bits to 16bits for a master you're not touching the dynamic range of the wanted signal at all, just the noise floor.

>Seriously. Stop trying to pretend to know shit you don't.

You first.
>>
>>65177725
what about this version?

https://clyp.it/co12n0m3
>>
>>65177981
Where did I say the track should be peaking at -10 dBFS?

>if you're rendering down from 24bits to 16bits
I didn't mention dithering at all. But it's cool that you can feel smug for finding out what it is.
>>
>>65178053
>Where did I say the track should be peaking at -10 dBFS?
DIdn't say you did. But the definition of quiet means you have too much headroom.

>I didn't mention dithering at all
Neither did I. You're the one that thinks higher than 16bit bit depths are for wanted signal dynamic range.
>>
>>65178113
>are for wanted signal dynamic range
Is that not exactly what greater bit depth offers? Does higher bit depth not offer more headroom, and it's simply a meme?
>>
File: image.png (29 KB, 363x220) Image search: [Google]
image.png
29 KB, 363x220
>>65178113
But anon, that is what higher bit depth is for.
>>
>>65178173
From a technical standpoint, yes it gives you higher dynamic range. But for the purposes of music playback 16bit is more than enough, hence why it's still the standard for commercial audio.

Using higher bit depths for recording is to do with managing the noise floor of the signal, so that it doesn't become an issue when you're processing the hell out of the signal during mastering.
>>
>>65178013
Yeah I think that's better personally. The dub influence is a bit flat on these tracks though. I'd probably dub them out a bit more to give them some movement within themselves, EQ the chord stabs a bit more and make them sound more gritty as they sound pretty bright to me. That's just me though you may well be going for that sound.
>>
>>65178238
Okay. Not sure what you're really trying to prove here.
>>
>>65178281
Because when you've got a practically inaudible noise floor at 16bit going up to 24bit is not going to make any difference for the end consumer.
>>
>>65178323
Okay. Again, not really relevant. Nobody mentioned going between 16 and 24 bit until you did.
I mentioned bit depth is higher than it used to be to offer people more headroom in mixing, so they didn't have to keep track levels quiet. That master volume should be controlled after mixing.
>>
File: krame.png (295 KB, 395x549) Image search: [Google]
krame.png
295 KB, 395x549
>>65172450
>>
>>65173189
I usually just use different snare samples but this would probably sound better.

What about when to add compression?
>>
File: 1449724153239.png (129 KB, 314x278) Image search: [Google]
1449724153239.png
129 KB, 314x278
>>65178370

Wat
>>
How to I make a tascam 4 track sound good? Whenever I do anything it takes too much time and still sounds really flat/boring or just gritty
>>
File: image.jpg (222 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
222 KB, 750x1334
>>65178370
>>
>>65178451
That just means you're using it right.
>>
Is it bad to hear compression on rap vocals? It's on a weird instrumental and without compression the vocals don't mix well.
>>
>>65178451
by getting rid of it, getting a different interface and a DAW. or a digital recorder
>>
>>65178482

Compression isnt just compression. It can be done right or wrong
>>
File: download.jpg (32 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
32 KB, 750x1334
>>65178463
>>
this is my second souncloud, where I am going to release my more experimental stuff. Tried to do a lapalux/teebs type thing here:
https://soundcloud.com/user-897590258/wet
>>
>>65178908
OP got lazy, but it's normally supposed to say no soundclouds up there.
Otherwise these threads tend to devolve to another soundcloud thread if we allow it.

Kind of a slippery slope fallacy, I know, but it does happen.
>>
>>65178985
sorry :(
>>
>>65179094
no hard feelings m808
>>
hey guys, new to synths and producing in general. is there an essentials list of literature to get started in synthesizing and analogs?
>>
https://clyp.it/yv1xjadk

feedback ;[
>>
>>65179217
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
start from the bottom and work your way up
I don't have a good one for producing though
>>
>>65179244
Thanks i bookmarked it, but is there any thing else that sort of starts from the simplest basics? sort of like a Starting Strength for electronic music
>>
>>65179306
That article pretty much does start with the basics, it talks about waveforms and how they are heard?
>>
>>65177098
>>65177183
you're fucking delusional

>>65177266
It's not
>>
File: all his hopes and dreams, gone.jpg (17 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
all his hopes and dreams, gone.jpg
17 KB, 500x500
>>65180637
>restarting the entire argument
>>
FL Studio question here,

Does anyone know a way to save the position of multiple mixer tracks parameters like pan, stereo, volume as some kind of preset?

I like the sound of a certain guitar I created though messing around with mixer settings, but I also want the original sound. How do I save it without having to copy everything over to another group of tracks?

I could just bounce the audio of with the settings I liked then I have both the original and the one made with mixing, but that isn't very tweakable.
>>
>>65180669
he's right though, it's not too loud

it's bad practice to have tracks too quiet anyways
>>
>>65180723
[citation needed]
>>
>>65180777
>meems instead of logic
no wonder everyone says /prod/ is shit at prod
>>
>>65180808
>asking for a source of your information is a meme

Sure thing bud.

>no wonder everyone says
>everyone

Those were some valid points you made.
>>
>>65180676
Samefag here, solved my own problem.(not that anyone cares but maybe this will help someone)

Automated the fuck out of both states of all the paramters settings i wanted, then locked those automation clips in the playlist view as group so they don't get moved or accidentally tweaked. It is a bit tedious to do, but this is the only way I could think of.
>>
>>65180857
>meming so hard, you think anyone will take your argument seriously
oh boy, next up you're going to start defending soundclouds
>>
>>65180857
>seriously asking for citations on mixing
lmao, you actually think there are citable articles on mixing? It's all subjective, idiot, nobody is going to be able to cite shit about shit.
>>
>>65180906
I think we're done here.

If you want to keep going on about the actual topic you were asspained about feel free to post a source that backs up your info.

I'm assuming you wont tho so enjoy your last (you)

>>65180944
It's not purely subjective.
>>
>>65180944
if its subjective arent both of these niggers right (or wrong)
>>
>>65180961
feel free to cite any source that refutes me, any claims that you make against me without evidence can be dismissed by me without evidence. it works both ways

I'm just dismissing your petty namecalling-tier shit because you're clearly to stuck up to accept somebody else's ideas on mixing.

have you ever operated any sort of amplifier before? especially house PAs or anything similar? You don't just add amplification to a quiet track, it introduces extreme amounts of noise because you're not just boosting audio, but also the noise floor. That's why you want to use as much of the dynamic range as possible.

I know it's hard for you to understand this whole gain staging thing, but it's pretty common to the point that I shouldn't need to cite it.
>>
>>65180961
If it's not purely subjective, then you should have no trouble finding sites promoting quiet mixes.
>>
>>65175070
Just continue practicing. Make about 1000 of these, then go back to this one, and you'll be able to laugh about it.

>>65176934
Of course you got everyone triggered. When an anon posts the best thing in the thread, these faggots will consistently relent you for it. However, it does need more percussional variation if the drums are going to remain the centerpiece.

>>65178013
I've heard almost every version of this you've posted so far, and there remains one prevailing hindrance. Reverb overload. You might be doing this to cover up for the fact that your mix isn't very interesting, and if so, it's become very transparent. If you truly are shooting for that spacey dub style/genre, you're not doing it right. For one, the actual wet signal is too mid centered and kills that needed airy-ness. Secondly, reverb is a powerful effect that should be used sparingly. You have it on damn near every track if I'm hearing right. There is a way to maintain that large dynamic image and space while only using it when it is needed. Lastly, if you do this very often, you will want to invest in a quality reverb plugin. No more Fruity Reeverb 2, it's time for an upgrade.

>>65179223
bretty good. Not my style in the slightest, but well executed nonetheless. Has lots of room to breathe. It doesn't shove itself down my throat.
>>
>>65181158
lmao thanks senpai i keep trying to add different percussion but the only thing that has stuck so far was that tambourine i'm gonna keep trying tho i also cut down on that synth part i added because most of the notes are just useless
>>
>>65181099
Not him but you shouldn't come here 'cause you're a dick
>>
>>65181646
what goes around comes around
if you're not actually that guy, then you'd notice him being a dick too

you should probably leave though, if you can't handle the bantz
>>
https://clyp.it/ucy4zjw5

I just spent like 4 hours mixing and mastering this and idk if it sounds SHIT or NICE cause my ears are busted, someone help
>>
rate my pendulum vs mcgranterry remix (wip)
https://clyp.it/cuoxgcc0
>>
Setup Question

a buddy and I want to combine our setups and make music together (house/techno). Trying to figure out how we should route audio/record, and what extra hardware we need to buy to optimize our workflow.

His Setup:
>MPC (for sequencing)
>Roland Juno 60
>Access Virus
>Sequential Circuits Pro one
>Chroma Polaris
>8ch Mixing board

My Setup
>Ableton Live
>various midi controllers
>Korg ER-1
>Roland TR8
>Moog Little Phatty
>steinberg 2x2 audio interface
>5x5 midi interface

Would it be better for us to get a larger audio interface to route everything into ableton for processing/mixing/mastering, or should we invest in a larger mixing board with onboard DSP and route everything to that then only record audio from the main outs on the mixer?

we have a pretty large budget. Currently looking at the roland studio capture for an audio interface in combination with a couple Launch Control XL's.

tl;dr for performance/mixing/recording route hardware into ableton, or route to external mixer?
>>
>>65181684
You were wrong though
>>
>>65181883
Lemme throw this one back at ya
[ciitation needed]
>>
>>65181707
mix is good, but I think you need to work on the composition phase a bit more... 1:45 is a bit long for an intro, especially when it leads to a full breakdown.
>>
>>65181971
The entire thing is an intro actually, its the intro to my EP.
>>
How am I doing so far?

Is the kick too punchy? And if it is, how do I depunchy it.

https://clyp.it/bfu11ssx
>>
>>65181707
It's not shit but it's certainly not nice. The mix is cluttered and elements are competing for space. There are some mix decisions I don't like, e.g., the hard-panned hi hats are a bit disorienting. The elements themselves are not bad sounding, but I think there is a lack of sound unity/cohesiveness – there's this bad blend of "lofi" and "hifi" instruments.

Track im working on:
https://clyp.it/4pa5m3dx
>>
>>65182012
you still should consider adding more interest though... even though it's an intro track, you still don't want people to skip it.
>>
>>65182113
The drums sound weirdly boxy to me, like they aren't bad but idk maybe too much verb?

the synths at 1:10 are annoying imo, it sounds cluttered. I know its a chorus and stuff but I think you could've just did a diff guitar melody

other than that, it's nice, somewhat boring though. I wanted more from it.
Don't get me wrong tho, it is nice, could see it on some pop record.
>>
>>65182034
Kick is very weak for two reasons:
1. It's not loud enough to cut through the mix
2. The sample itself is sort of phased and has no real weight/oompf to it. (In fact it's the opposite of a punchy kick sample.)
>>
>>65182202
Oh I know, I was going for my own version of Mark Pritchard (I know it doesn't sound like it, but still). He's VERY minimalist, some people are really turned off by it, I personally love it.
>>
>>65177010
I actually enjoy Just Blaze. Only because he was making trap bangers before it was cool.

But I also like No ID and 40.
>>
>>65182374
but trap was never good
>>
>>65182231
Thanks, I will look into your comments

I've been thinking the same of the chorus. But I think the drums are fine, there's pretty minimal reverb on there -- although they are going through a bunch of effects...
>>
>>65180902
Ableton has a save preset button. Surprised FL doesn't have something similar.
>>
>>65182429
Might be a bus compressor? They have FUCKED up my drums before and I had to look into them
>>
>>65182389
Never said it was good. It just seems to be the "in" thing right now.

I grew up listening to southern rap mixtapes so I'm kinda partial to it.
>>
>>65182113

Idk what you mean by a blend of lofi and hifi, I didn't go for lofi at all, everything's pretty processed. Pin point it for me?

It still is messy tho ;[
>>
whats everyone using for monitors right now?
>>
>>65182724
KRK Rokit 5's

they're really nice t-b-h
>>
>>65182724
15" unpowered pa speakers
>>
>>65181158
ok, i've stripped back a lot of the reverb, the main one i use is ValhallaVintage and although saying i use it on every track is a bit of an exaggeration, it's clear that now i need to hold back my usage of it

https://clyp.it/1cgnfq0p
>>
>>65181783
I do a bit of both, if you are making techno I think you'd find a mixer helpful for jams and live stuff, you can't beat the hands on use of a phisical mixer I don't think.
A audio interface with lots of inputs and outputs is handy for sending effects/feedback in and out of the mixer too.
>>
>>65183008
Better already! It also helps in making it sound less compressed than it did before because your compressor/limiter doesn't have to process and smoosh together all those unnecessary frequencies.
>>
>>65184172
thanks for the help, i'll definitely be more reverb-conscious when making my next tracks to help make the mix less muddy

i have a link to a "reduced" version of that track, but i can't put it on clyp because it's >10mins long, a minimal dub version, does anyone want to hear it? it's on my soundcloud but i don't like posting the link in /prod/
>>
>>65182724
Mackie HR824

Bought a second backup pair because I like them so much, and might even get one more for 5.1 mixing in the future.
>>
File: 1446202770485.jpg (462 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1446202770485.jpg
462 KB, 1600x1200
Should i bother with learning notation if im not doing classical? Seems really retarded compared to a timeline and piano roll.
>>
>>65184541
If you're not playing an instrument like a piano or anything its not really that useful, and I know how to read notation. The best way to get ahead in production is sound design. LRN2 SERUM AND MASSIVE
>>
Ok guys really now

How do I learn to produce? I'd like to be able to do this kind of beats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM7qPA1mxXI
>>
https://clyp.it/e5kxe233

i gotta make a better lead in the 2nd part after the break, but what you do think prody?
>>
>>65184782
if this is music for a video game, its great

if not

kys
>>
>>65184857

How rude
>>
>>65184857
can't a guy make game music that's not for a game? (it is)
>>
>>65184907
I said it was great
>>
>>65184953
Well it depends on the context. I personally LOVE that ALTTP sequel's OST because it works on it's own, same with Metroid Primes. OSTS like Hyper Light Drifter or whatever don't, and I love disasterpiece, but they are boring outside the games context.
>>
>>65185009
>>65184953
Best videogame soundtrack is this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCcWWcL_Sg4
>>
>>65185114
Oh hey, I've been wanting to listen to this, ty for reminding me
>>
>>65185009
yeah I actually really agree with that. a ton of game music without being in the game, doesn't easily hold its own for many listeners. It seems for someone to enjoy it alone, they usually need that pre-established context of the game.

it's an interesting topic because you don't want to take away from the game, especially since you have to take sfx into account. I guess that's why they call it background music (BGM) lol. I think disasterpiece did a pretty good job with the FEZ OST being playable in and out of the game, if you're into that kinda ambient-glitchy genre of music. I even felt that a good portion of the first hotline miami's songs didn't do it for me outside of the game.
>>
How do you do a remix? Where do you find stems of songs you want to remix?
>>
>>65185571
>How do you do a remix? Where do you find stems of songs you want to remix?
If you're me (here >>65181747 ) then from terrible rappers in cringe threads.
>>
>>65184656
Pls respond I know nothing of music production and I wanna learn
>>
>>65185699
Read the fucking OP and thread
>>
File: 1461475603626.jpg (65 KB, 438x423) Image search: [Google]
1461475603626.jpg
65 KB, 438x423
https://clyp.it/4nz0g03e

Summer chunes
>>
>>65185724
What the fuck is there to read in your stupid OP faggot
>>
>>65185765
Wow the retarded OP took out the links, gay.

>>65185739
This hurt my ears
>>
>>65185739
nice kirby samples, but the high end of the chord also hurt my ears. What is your workflow for stuff like this?
>>
>>65185724
>>65185699

Welcome to /prod/
>>
>>65185842
Yeah fuck /prod/ and fuck you
>>
>>65185792
>>65185827
Thanks for the advice. I was working off my monitors and the abrasion of the clicky hi's didn't stick out to me as they should have. Tweaking it now.

>>65185827
>What is your workflow for stuff like this?
Chords, then drums, then extra shit. Essentially once I get a structure rolling I just dump random audio and freeware synths fucking everywhere until it becomes tolerable. Sometimes I get lucky, usually I don't.
>>
give feedback please:
https://clyp.it/e3gdlybw
>>
>>65186029
Not him but it sounds kind of like my workflow. I've been playing guitar for years, but I can't fiddle around on my 25 key POS as fluidly as I can on my six string.

Maybe I need an audio processor?
>>
>>65186116
starts really abruptly, I am going to assume this is a snippet

everything, except the bass, sounds very cheap, yet the progression is nice. Work on your synthesis, get better samples

if you and this guy
>>65181707

worked together you'd both be good.
>>
>>65186172
What about it sounds cheap?
I know sound is hard to describe, but could you go into more detail please?
Here is something different, do you think the synths sound better here?
https://clyp.it/ek1locxi
>>
>>65185853
What I meant in my post was supposed to be sarcasm to the other anon.

Try sticking about it's not always like this in here,sometimes people are nice to each other and helpful...well that's what it used to be like.
Also the next op might even post the prod sticky with all the helpful info for people starting out.
>>
>>65186157
One thing that helps me is having an arsenal of a sample library. Some might see it as a no-brainer, but really the more you have to work with, the easier it will be to start projects and carry them through. In your case, maybe start working on building a recording setup, and spend an inhuman amount of time just tracking your guitar, vocals, or whatever you want.

>Maybe I need an audio processor?
yup
>>
>>65186295
Sounds like presets, not very mixed down if at all. Eq your sounds, compress them for some harmonics, play with them. It's all very safe. As for the rhythm section, they're all very boxy.

the second one was better, imo, but also very messy. You need to EQ, I don't think you are at all cause it's all taking up the same space.
>>
>>65186345
thanks, I appreciate your feedback.
>>
>>65186406
I feel like it wasn't helpful

I would rec to you kontakt, and then get a lot of libraries. I have never had a kontakt library that wasn't pretty quality.

Get Izotope Ozone as well.
>>
>>65186428
>Get Izotope Ozone as well.
It's pretty awesome, don't know why I have even stopped using it.
But I have mixed feelings about Kontakt,
while there were some gems a lot of it kind of sucked. Is there anything specific you can recommend for kontakt?
>>
>>65186556
Anything from Heavyocity

Anything from the Factory

Anything from Spitfire (my faves, they're hard to find online tho)

8DIO's Free Angel's

and random packs I've found on audioz

I use Heavyocity's shit, Factory, and Free Angels on SO many tracks...

I only have Spitfire Enigma and, while great, it has a lot of dissonance and I only find uses for it in ambient tracks or as a sparkling background sfx.

Other than that, I love Lounge Lizard and Alchemy.
>>
>>65178985
>Otherwise these threads tend to devolve to another soundcloud thread if we allow it
except this literally has never happened
>>
>>65184624
>The best way to get ahead in production is sound design. LRN2 SERUM AND MASSIVE
SOUND DESIGN MEANS MORE THAN JUST SYNTH PATCHES REEEEEEE
>>
>>65186788
>except this literally has never happened
Because it's never allowed to.

Soundcloud raus!
>>
>>65186852
ah, just like locking my door 5 times every day keeps my place from getting broken into
>>
thoughts on Zebra 2?

anyone know any producers that use it?
>>
>>65186324
Yeah I have an idea of how I want things to be set up. I'll probably get a new amp for my bass and maybe an electric drumset for space saving purposes.

I just wish I could use my guitar as a midi controller.
>>
>>65187116
https://youtu.be/3ePkwuHrD3A?t=50m56s
>>
I need advice, lads!
So i'm bedroom-producing music on and off for a few years now and i have kind of DJd minimal/house music once or twice. So i got the basics of that down.
Now my problem is, i have to DJ at my sisters prom in 3 weeks. I have to DJ for about 4-6 hours or so and i have to mix some different genres like Trap, Pop and stuff like that, music for the kids. I plan on using Traktor with an Ableton Push with the trash mapping plus a Nanokontrol 2.
Are 3 weeks enough to make a decent playlist and learn how to mix all that stuff so i don't completely fuck up?
>>
>>65186295
wow you are so deluded, this is fucking terrible, what about this makes you think it can contend with the thousands of excellent albums by producers that barely have a career or unknowns? Do you have any fucking shame? Putting out a album with this trash? You really think you can build a career out of this? The only good thing about this song is that there aren't any notable mixing mistakes. That's literally it. There is no interesting melody, certainly nothing that is pushing the musical conversation forward in any way at all, you are barely scratching the surface and this song has nothing to say except "hey i'm a song on a album" there is nothing else here. Please assess yourself fairly and don't make a full album thinking you are going to have a career with this level of skill, it's an insult. I am literally 20 times better then you and I am not good enough to establish a career yet, and I certainly don't have the fucking balls to make a FULL LENGTH ALBUM. If this is in any way representative of your tracklist you should take a step back, listen to your favorite artists and really understand how far you have to go. This is offensive to me.
>>
File: Abelon.png (3 KB, 297x53) Image search: [Google]
Abelon.png
3 KB, 297x53
I click the link to download Abelton live lite and it just keeps downloading as photoshop. What do I do? I just bought a noviation Launchpad that came with a code to get Live-lite and it is not downloading correctly.

I have windows 10
>>
>>65187291
>I am literally 20 times better then you
lol post a clyp then, because right now youère just coming across as somebody whose parents never hugged them trying to take out that lack of appreciation on /prod/
>>
>>65187290
just play katy perry on loop baka desu
>>
>>65187290
Definitely. These kids aren't going to give a fuck about your transitions as much as compared to if you were playing a set at Ultra.

Your songs will probably have to be radio edited versions so keep that in mind.
>>
>>65187291
new meme?
>>
>>65187382
Yeah, I expected that kind of response. You can't actively refute anything I said so you decide to attack my character.
>>
>>65187441
yeah i expected that kind of response, so utterly sure that you deserve the time and effort of a reasoned response instead of just accepting that people are probably regularly laughing at you for sounding like a bitter self-aggrandizing douchebag lol
>>
>>65187291
holy shit i think i recognize you from when you were a massive douche in /prod/ before. have you posted here before all pretentiously about the "message" in a song, even an instrumental, being the most important thing?
>>
>>65187291
This a pasta right? sombone halp I'm lost
>>
>>65187593
yeah, just googled it. it's from r/edmprodcirclejerk
>>
https://clyp.it/a4rjtfjx

Any tips for creating generative ambient/drone?
>>
Someone recommended I listen to "Solar" by Monstro, and I loved it. I'm making a cover of it, this is how it sounds so far. thoughts?

https://clyp.it/fullnriw
>>
>>65187784
what is; clipping
>>
>>65187692
There is little known a plugin in the GRM tools package (can't remember which one but you will figure it out) that is perfect for this sort of thing. See if you can get ahold of that.

Paulstretch-type tools may also be an asset. You can write a concise, progressive 16 bar sequence with lots of modulation and then smear it across 4 minutes or something with paulstretch. I realize paulstretch may be considered old hat by this point, but it really is a great creative tool for evolving sequences.
>>
>>65187805
Purposeful Design Choice for four hundred, Mr. Trebec

but really though, if it's not sounding like a nice kind of clipping, then how do i make it sound nice
>>
>>65187692
>>65187807
Don't do this...Unless you wanna be a hack and like every other soundcloud musician

play with synthesis, granular. Make your own sounds, layer them constantly. Play with pitch lfos everywhere

now thats wht I wanna hear.
>>
>>65187842
Use bit crushers or lower the bit rate, that isn;t nice sounding
>>
>>65187865
thanks dude, i'll have a go at that then
>>
>>65181707
I know nothing about mixing or mastering and I essentially just clicked this thread on accident, but I actually really liked this. what's the name of your EP?
>>
>>65187317

That's not necessarily Photoshop you've downloaded. What you're seeing is a Photoshop icon that's been associated with the *.zip file extension, so at some point someone (not saying it's you) has retardedly designated Photoshop as the application that opens zip files.

Download the zip file, right-click it and choose "Extract" from the menu to uncompress the Ableton installer.
>>
>>65187985
It's not finished, but I'm probably gonna name it On The Run
>>
Everyone in this thread needs Jesus. And to learn how the fuck to mix. People seem to think limiting is good compression. No one can eq a drum sample. And not one person seems to have seen a multiband compressor. Everyone is jizzing over huge reverb. Everything is balanced absolute shit. And dynamic range is a conversation that can fuck off. Some of the musicality people have here is actually alright.. but the end product is some frequency jumbled mess. Learn the basics, and get a frequency analyser.. and stop pretending you're all mega production stars.

That goes for every fucking 'my dick is bigger' fuck in this thread.

/end.
>>
>>65188338
>and get a frequency analyser
>he thinks "mix with your eyes" is good advice
you are not in the position to be making this post if that's the only actual tip you're going to offer on mixing lol
>>
>>65188338
whom are your referring to
>>
>>65188338
>stop pretending you're all mega production stars
i think that is something that no one here is trying to do... a lot of ppl are aware they suck and try to just be positive in order to get better.

give us a resource if you're so great
>>
>>65188338
talk shit post clyp
>>
File: Untitled.png (799 KB, 1576x989) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
799 KB, 1576x989
>>65188338
hello
>>
>>65188390
Izotope have great free resources to learn some of the basics.. videos etc. Good plugin company too. Obvs.
>>
>>65188365
When the ears are shit.. the eyes can help. Not just at a mastering level. People need to know where every frequency should be. Why its there. But sure, shit on a tool that plenty of industry professionals use.
>>
>>65188461
Ozone is a wicked kit, but you're using it a bit extreme on a master level.. Mastering should help glue things together. If you have spare dollars.. get Waves Linear Multiband. Bloody sexy comp.
>>
>>65188390

I'm not that guy, but I'm not all that sure that resources help all that much, to begin with at least.

Sure, they acquaint you with techniques but what I hear is people applying those techniques in a "video-game-walkthrough-this-is-the only-solution-you-need" fashion - I'm of the belief that technique and ear training need to go hand-in-hand, and there's no fast track to ear training. Again though, there are resources for ear training too, but once you've read them that doesn't mean that you've trained your ears.

The best resources a starter has here is other people's music and their own ears - listen to instrument tone and harmonic balance in mixes and compare with your own, not by using a chart but just with your ears - remember that ears are the only thing most of your listeners will be using when they hear your work and the best way to reach people is to learn how to evaluate sound in a neutral way (ear training is mostly brain training) so you have at least half a chance of projecting the sound you intend to project to them.
>>
>>65188667
No, thats the final mix, im mastering it down

hur dur
>>
I have no idea if this is the place to ask, but does anybody know which band it was that pioneered utilizing standing wave effects during live performances?
>>
>>65187692

i like this, what did you use to make this?
>>
>>65188846
Your mum's arse.
>>
>>65188846
it literally sounds like any boring pad....
>>
Some kinda IDK what.

https://clyp.it/rshf0krf
>>
Is there any comprehensive guide/book/resource on fm-synthesis?
Bonus points if it's with fm8.
I know how the basics are supposed to work, but creating something is still a pain.
Most guides I find are just for beginners.
>>
>>65189226
>https://clyp.it/rshf0krf
fire
>>
Any tips on where to go from here with this? Was going for UK Garage kind of vibe.

https://clyp.it/nyoxk5al
>>
>>65189289
http://www.burnkit2600.com/manuals/fm_theory_and_applications.pdf

I think this contains some useful information, despite being old and for the DX7, i think I remember it providing some useful guiding principles.

The challenge of FM synthesis is producing the harmonics you NEED in a controlled manner because it is so easy to push the patch into unorganized NOISE territory.

I know seamless also has a Video series about FM, some sort of seminar, and I haven't seen it. But it could contain some useful information.

You may also learn something from the brief chunk of the Noisia Future Music video, where one of them discusses their methodology for synthesizing a snare in FM8. Its a quick drive-by treatment, but the takeaway is that you are sometimes using 3 or so operators modulating eachother to produce one individual part of a sound (maybe the transient of say- a piano), maybe 3 others modulating eachother to form the body of the sound, and maybe 2-3 others to form some other element of the desired sound. Quite unlike subtractive synthesis where you are more limited on how your signal is developed from the same set of oscillators.

>>65189294
cool thanks me bredda
>>
Speaking of ear training, has anyone used or tried Sound Gym? It's pretty new but apparently is a way to practice production listening and not musical listening.
>>
>>65173278
thats a mac book pro
>>
>>65189506
thanks, I'll check those out
>despite being old and for the DX7
Old is not a problem, but being for the dx7 may be one (as it is a piece of shit to use).
But if the fundamentals are explained well then all is good.
>>
>>65189619
The good news is that you can load original DX7 patches into FM8- if they reference a factory patch you can always download the factory library and examine it.
>>
Pro Tip incoming:
Do NOT use raisers in your track. Ever. Except you want to make generic EDM music, if thats the case go ahead you faggot.
Instead, use percussion in a way that suggest a new part of your track is coming up.
>>
>>65189695
you're retarded
>>
>>65189497
I think once you smooth out the transition that takes us to the breakdown, then you are pretty much there.

I figure you will further polish the mix, and by that point you will be good. I don't know much about UK Garage, but you could also consider putting in some sort of brief, simple melodic lead / hook. Something that is memorable that can be teased a few times throughout.
>>
>>65189918
Thanks for the feedback. Will take this into consideration.
>>
https://clyp.it/gqzotk5u
>RNB
>Talkbox vocals
Yeah, they're hard to understand but like, the lyrics aren't that important
>>
>>65188338
You're absolutely right, but you're still a fuckwit. You know why?
>everyone sucks and I am superior
>no clyp
Alright buddy, sure you are.
>>
>>65190474
He's not really right at all, a lot of the shit posted here are demos.
>>
https://clyp.it/dnh53ok3
Care to give some advice on this? I know the mixing is so-so and the vocals are not even ready yet because it's a WIP so keep that in mind
>>
How to make sick percussion parts like in this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hD8FbPxl-YI
>>
>>65190527
theres are very simple hit hats and rim shots

if you dont know how to do this I pity you

>>65190523
Snares really annoying, too metallic sounding.

The Bass sounds nice, definitely overtaking the mix though, I would also push up the attack.

I mean, the entire track is drowned out by the bass and annoying snare so it's hard to comment on the rest.
>>
>>65190495
Of course. But there are such things as well mixed demos.

>>65190527
>How to make sick percussion parts like in this?
Never seen someone get this riled up over some delayed hi-hats
>>
>>65190612
theres quite a few in here.
>>
>>65190577
>>65190612
Did you guys not get to the good part and just stopped at the repeating hi hats?
>>
>>65190639
The drums are practically the same throughout
>>65190577
Thanks m8, I will tone down that bass for sure, but I think I will keep the snare because I actually like that metallic sound.
>>
>>65190734
well tone it down a bit
>>
>>65190734
No, but like the other sounds like that thing that almost sounds like a motor revving up and other little embellishments that aren't the cymbals/hit nor the timshot nor the bass.
>>
>>65191124
So in other words, you already answered your own question and now you just want to waste everyone's time.
>>
I composed a song based off a shoe sole for my Experimental music class. I don't know anything about production. How did I do?

https://clyp.it/i44f01zh
>>
>>65176934
Not cluttered at all if you plan to put vocals over top of it. If not, it's a bit lacking. But that's just my personal opinion.
>>
>>65173343
This is the shit. Makes me want to watch some westerns.
>>
>>65192176
sounds like some nerd shit
>>
>>65192407
>https://clyp.it/pdbcnkgo
word, that's what's up
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.