[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rush appreciation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
>prog rock
>extremely talented musicians
>creative albums
>lyrics aren't preachy or boring
>band actually has fun playing their music and doesn't bitch and whine around like pink floyd
>>
>>65136869
The best concert of my life was watching Rush during the time machine tour in Montreal. It was the greatest birthday present.
>>
Rush is one of those bands that I've never gone out of my way to listen to but whenever I hear them on the radio or wherever, I always am impressed and tell myself that I'll listen to more of their stuff in my free time but never do.

Got any reccs on a good place to start with them?
>>
>>65136926
1. Did neil do a solo
2. How was Geddy's voice?
>>
>>65136926
Saw them in Chicago, great show. They had to cancel at first due to weather. At the makeup date everyone got a baseball cap commemorating the show
>>
>>65136946
Oddly I didn't see any flowcharts on the mu wiki

I'd say Moving Pictures is the most "listenable" album of theirs, like most people will enjoy it. Hell half the songs are on the radio all the time.

From there, if you like the prog/sci style then maybe 2112 and Hemispheres

If rock, maybe Caress of Steel and Roll the Bones
>>
rush's lyrics are generally pretty bad desu

but they are cool with me, especially for the fact that they one of the only 70s bands ever to actually put out legitimately good albums post-2000 (their last 2 are both gr8 tbqh)

much love for everything between Fly By Night to Moving Pictures but not really so hot on their 80s stuff after that
>>
File: 1463766970070.gif (724 KB, 446x250) Image search: [Google]
1463766970070.gif
724 KB, 446x250
>>65137013
>Forgetting Permanent Waves and their self-titled album

Bruh
Just
Bruh
>>
>>65137026
True, but the bad lyrics are part of the experience. Their lame and cheesy but fun, memorable, and accompany an awesome song.

They're like watching a spaghetti western
>>
>>65136946
Their first album and 90s-2010s albums are fairly conventional hard rock.
70s material (debut notwithstanding) is good prog, sometimes at its wankiest. Peart was heavily into Ayn Rand at the time so a lot of the lyrics echo those kinds of themes
80s introduced more synths and pop structures into the mix and is IMO my favorite period for them, though I understand I'm in the minority
>>
>>65136946
>If you like standard 70s hard rock
Rush
Fly By Night

>If you like progressive rock
Caress of Steel
A Farewell To Kings
Hemispheres

>If you like new wave/synth rock
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Signals
Grace Under Pressure

Nothing beyond that is worth hearing right away. Focus on the albums above first.
>>
>>65137056
Most people don't recommend the debut album because
1. Neil isn't on it
2. It isn't the "Rush sound" that Rush is famous for.

It's a good album, but not for people getting into the band for the first time.
>>
>>65137097
>though I understand I'm in the minority
I don't get why people hate the Synth stuff.

It's when they started trly standing out.
>>
Today's May 24th, better break out Lakeside Park
>>
>>65136869
They would've been 10/10 if they had a competent lead singer
>>
>>65137026
>rush's lyrics are generally pretty bad desu
I really like the lyric from Countdown: "Technology high
On the leading edge of life"
The timing gives "high" a double meaning. And if anything deserves that it's a shuttle launch. "Technology high" is the feeling I got when I watched Koyaanisqatsi on shrooms and completely missed the point.
>>
Their lyrics are shit for a good number of songs, but some songs have great lyrics. Like Subdivisions or Something For Nothing (if you're more right leaning)
>>
limelight has pretty nice lyrics imo
>>
I think that Rush is pretty good, Moving Pictures is pretty good.
The singers voice gets annoying though slightly.
>>
>>65137592
Middletown Dreams does too
>>
am i the only one who liked Snakes and Arrows?
>>
>>65137281
Fuck yeah
>>
>>65137601
His voice in Limelight and the slow parts of Cygnus are some of the most audibly appealing (if that's the right phrase) singing I've heard in any rock.
>>
>>65137714
snakes and arrows is awesome

same with clockwork angels imho

loudness wars mastering really does fuck em up tho
>>
>>65137797
vapor trails is JUST tier on the mastering
>>
>>65137855
Not the remaster. They did a good job on that.
>>
>>65137887
I think the record is really good if you go in expecting something very different. You can really pick up on the fragile place they were in 2000
>>
>>65138017
That was a particularly rough period for Geddy, Alex, and Neil.
>>
>>65137110
> Nothing beyond that is worth hearing right away. Focus on the albums above first.

Power Windows is my fave. To each his own but I'd at least recommend others to give it a try
>>
>>65138194
I posted that. I like Power Windows a lot too. I feel like Marathon steals the show though. The other albums before have multiple stand out tracks that could be considered the best on the album.
>>
I don't really get the "Rush has bad lyrics" criticism. They're always well thought out, at least the ones Peart would write.
I'm legitimately curious what people perceive to be so bad about them. I remember one magazine put peart on a "worst lyricists of all time" list.
>>
Will I like rush if I'm into yes?
>>
>>65138339
Maybe if you listen to A Caress of Steel or A Farewell to Kings
>>
>>65138270
They're definitely cheesy at times but that is not a bad thing considering the lyrics are fun.

"I have memory and awareness
But I have no shape or form
As a disembodied spirit
I am dead and yet unborn
I have passed into Olympus
As was told in tales of old
To the city of Immortals
Marble white and purest gold...

I see the gods in battle rage on high...
Thunderbolts across the sky...
I cannot move, I cannot hide...
I feel a silent scream begin inside...

Then all at once the chaos ceased
A stillness fell, a sudden peace
The warriors felt my silent cry
And stayed their struggle, mystified

Apollo was atonished
Dionysus thought me mad
But they heard my story further
And they wondered, and were sad"
>>
>>65138270
I agree with some points that Objectivism brings up, but not all. I think the lyrics are fine. The only truly cringe song lyric-wise that I can think of by Rush is the one about the guy with AIDS. It just wasnt well written. I cant think of the name of the song, but I think it was on Presto or Roll the Bones. One of the late 80s-90s albums.
>>
>>65138360
And Hemispheres.
>>
>>65138394
nobody's hero from counterparts?
>>
>>65138270
>I remember one magazine put peart on a "worst lyricists of all time" list.
Oh please, those lists are always such bullshit. They always list bands trendy to hate, like Nickelback. Yeah right, Neil fucking Peart is worse lyricist than literally the rest of rock. Sounds objective, right.

I think their lyrics are often naive in their teen philosophy. "Nowhere is the dreamer or the misfit so alone" sounds exactly like a 14 year old believing he is the smartest man alive and he's so much better than sheeple who don't rebel against society. That's my biggest gripe with them.
>>
>>65138339
I was into Rush and I liked Yes
>>
>>65138384
That concept (in hemispheres) is actually my favorite of theirs, and this quote makes way more sense in context.
The main character willingly drove his ship into a black hole to see what would happen in a metaphysical sense, and then the world of Apollo and Dionysus is introduced where they're leading opposing extremist positions for the "heart" and the "mind". Becoming consumed by "mind" led to a lack of fulfillment and motivation and becoming consumed by the "heart" led to endangerment and death. After this is illustrated the character who drove into the black hole comes back, reintroduced as this formless spirit, and becomes "Cygnus, the god of balance" on this world. Cygnus is also the name of a black hole.
This is all incredibly badass. I especially like the ending passage.
"We can walk our road together
If our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free
If we pursue a different aim
Let the truth of love be lighted
Let the love of truth shine clear
Sensibility
Armed with sense and liberty
With the heart and mind united in a single
Perfect
Sphere"
>>
>>65138536
That's the one. I don't care for the song in general, but the lyrics send the cringe factor over the top.

I know it's deeply personal to Peart, but it's just not what I want to hear from Rush.
>>
>>65138394
I don't think I've heard that one. I've kinda poked around their songs and not listened to full albums until recently. I'm sure there probably are some clunkers but overall I think their lyrics are good.
>>65138568
That song was literally about suburban youth though. It ends on the note that rebellious children will eventually return to the suburbs in adulthood, so it's hardly one-sided or unaware, I'd say.
Drawn like moths we drift into the city
The timeless old attraction
Cruising for the action
Lit up like a firefly
Just to feel the living night
"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."
>>
>IMO ranked (without a ton of thought)

1. Permanent Waves
>perfect pop/prog balance. A perfect example of a 10/10 album.
2. Hemispheres
>4 perfect songs. The first song (side A) is a masterpiece follow up to part one from Farewell to Kings. La Villa Strangiato is their best instrumental.
3.A Farewell To Kings
>progressive rock bliss from beginning to end. Cinderella Man and Madrigal are a little weak, but Xanadu and Cygnus more than make up for it.
4. Moving Pictures
>more pop prog. Not a bad song here.
5. Signals
>a great balance of synth and prog rock that never gets cheesy like 80s Yes or Pink Floyd. A very emotional album.
6. Caress of Steel
>their first true progressive album. The hard rock sound is great and the 2 long outro songs are amazing.
7. 2112
>side A is an undeniable masterpiece. Side B leaves much to be desired after Passage to Bangkok and Something for Nothing.
8. Fly By Night
>one of the best 70s hard rock albums. Sad to see it this low on the list, but the albums above will make you remember why it's here.
9. Grace Under Pressure
>the "Fly By Night" of their synth period. Many great songs, but doesnt reach the platitudes of the above albums.
10. Rush
>an amazing hard rock debut. Harder and faster than Sabbath did. You'd almost think Rush was the most extreme rock band around in 1973 (other than Alice Cooper maybe).
>>
File: a farewell to kings.jpg (117 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
a farewell to kings.jpg
117 KB, 300x300
I really hate the meme that goes around here that rush is shit

a farewell to kings is a prog masterpiece
>>
>>65138264
I like MIDI Lopatin-style sound, so I love it a lot. The opener is pretty epic, featuring a more lush/nuanced production than their previous records.

What's more important, it's consistent. Emotion Detector has a killer synth line which hits just the right note for me with its cheesy but personal/nostalgic sound. And the closer is an epic pop closer reminding me of Phil Collins' solo work.

Of course if you can't imagine Rush without Lifeson's guitar lines, and prefer their prog albums in general, then Power Windows night not be down your alley. I see it as a somewhat polarizing record for Rush, and personally I love it.
>>
>>65137121
Still, Permanent Waves is an excellent album for people just getting into Rush.
>>
>>65139146
Geddy's rank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qa7p6gFIGw
>>
>>65139916
>least favorite is fly by night
The fuck?
>>
>>65139969
tfw Geddy has shit taste in Rush
>>
>>65136869
Hey man dont hate on pink floyd
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.