[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It clicked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 220x220
It clicked
>>
good for you?
>>
I'm so sorry
>>
This album has a great closer
>>
I like this band too
>>
Actually gave it a listen for the first time yesterday. Honestly I don't get what's not to get or what doesn't click with this album. It's pretty simple stuff. Sure the production/mixing/mastering might catch someone offguard at first, but that's it.

Not to mention that it's far from AnCo's worst. CentipedeHz, Painting With, and Campfire Songs are far worse than this.
>>
>>65107387
>campfire songs and chz bad
literally fuck off kid
>>
>>65107387
>Campfire Songs
>their worst
it's their best, man
>>
>>65107404
>>65107432
chz is a mess that doesn't achieve anything. It's like the Dream Theater of psych pop.

Campfire Songs is also similar to Dream Theater in that it meanders about with certain parts for way too long. Each and every track on the album can be made shorter since there aren't that many ideas per track to warrant such long tracks.
>>
>>65107699
I can't really speak for CHz, but the dreamy meandering is the point of CS. It's drone inspired and the only track that meanders a bit to much, and still it's a great track.

I don't really know what to tell you besides Campfire Songs takes multiple listens and it was at least three before I started calling it a masterpiece. CHz was pretty instant for me, just make sure you listen to the good mix.

I can't say I see the comparison to Dream Theater
>>
>>65108132
>it's meant to be meandering
Then it's meant to be stunted? With nothing going on? I understand that it's inspired by minimalist/drone stuff, but even good minimalist/drone stuff has more going on and the entire piece feels like a giant moving thing rather than "play this chord for 3-4 minutes, then play that chord for 3-4 minutes."

>can't see comparisons to Dream Theater
For CS it's there because Dream Theater also likes to have stupid long instrumental sections where nothing really gets achieved.

For CHz it's there because Dream Theater is also a group that is technical with a lot going on at once, but achieves nothing from it. Being both a guitar player and a guy who likes to mess with a lot of synths, I can totally see why CHz and Dream Theater stuff can be fun for the artist themselves. Hell I spend a lot of free time jamming out on guitar or just layering synths because both definitely have their own sense of fun. But they are self indulgent things, and as a result don't work as well for being art for others to experience. There's only a surface level of variety to get from both DT and CHz and that's it.
>>
>>65108819
Honestly I don't find all of the samplings and noises on CHz to be that distracting or uninspired. I've always found them to add to the music. And the songwriting itself is pretty good through most of the album.
>>
>>65108973
See, I think they do the sampling/noises better on their earlier stuff and on Person Pitch, while the songwriting style is done better on their later stuff up to MPP. In their earlier stuff they give the noises a lot of room to work, and same with the songwriting on their later stuff. But Chz tries to do both at the same time, but doesn't get to do it as well as any of AnCo's stuff before it.

Chz isn't an awful affront to humanity or anything, but still pales in comparison to the rest of their discography imo.
>>
>>65108819
imo none of those things apply to Campfire Songs, this must all just lie in how we perceived it personally, but the way you described it still makes me feel as if you're missing the point a bit. The transition from the opener to Doggy can be described exactly as one giant thing moving. The whole album is one long song, it's why they never pressed it on vinyl. The only tracks i can see that meander at all are The Queen in my Pictures and Moo Rah Rah Rain, all the others are fairly focused while still flowing into and out of one another
>>
>it's another plebs shit on early AnCo and rush to defend CHz because it was their first AnCo album episode
>>
>>65109819
are you projecting there, bubbo? :^)
>>
>>65109819
Did you read the thread? The people defending CHz are the same people defending Campfire Songs
>>
>>65109819
Damn that's a weird shirt
>>
>>65109768
But there's very little actual movement going on. Again, the long tracks are just the same exact thing played ad nauseam for a few minutes. Listen to works of minimalism or noise, they have a lot of stuff that seems to be repeating, but instead there are little subtle changes that happen throughout so even the repetition doesn't boring. I guess I should admit though that I do love Doggy, though at the moment I am not sure it's because of how much it captures a certain aspect of me and my life or because it's good outside of that, too.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.