[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Progressive Rock just Dad-Rock?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: Yes-close.jpg (102 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Yes-close.jpg
102 KB, 300x300
Is Progressive Rock just Dad-Rock?
>>
It's dadrock with wankery.
>>
It's also aunt-rock (but never mom-rock)
>>
This thread is going to make me upset.
>>
>>65086420
It is by definition. You know what isn't part of that definition though? It being bad. Dadrock doesn’t mean it's bad, it just means it's old rock stuff that dads used to listen to during their youth. Hell, even Beefheart could be considered Dad rock.
>>
no, it is not
>>
>>65086538
>Beefheart could be considered dadrock
No it couldn't newfag. Dadrock != old music. Dadrock is any kind of music that sounds dated and inequivocally like the era it's inspired by/came from. Shit that sounds timeless isn't dadrock. For instance, Wolfmother is a recent band and they sound dadrock as fuck.

The term was originally used to patronize the music all the wrong generation kids got from their dads and considered "real music", shit like AC/DC.
>>
>>65086420
There are different kinds of "prog".

"Progressive" means "avant-garde, forward thinking". But this monicker eventually lost its meaning as prog became formulaic and slowly turned into pop-rock in the '80s. The name simply came to symbolize bands that sounded the same.

Prog's influence goes over to a lot of genres. But the real genius of prog was obviously Fripp.

The rest of the bands were mostly very good pop-rock with improvisation, variety of styles and influences.
>>
>>65086793
But AC/DC is fun anon
>>
>>65086420
It's just bad music
>>
>>65086974
>slowly turned into pop-rock in the '80s
>'80s
that's a typo, right?
>>
>>65086793
why are you outside hiphop threads?
>>
>>65087643
Literally never went to a hiphop thread. What are you trying to imply friend?

>>65087488
They're alright but aged terribly. I like some of their stuff though.
>>
>>65086420
>>65086454
Dads don't listen to prog. If they had, they'd never have gotten laid and had you.
>>
>>65086420
uhh maybe, but it's fucking terrible regardless.
>>
I would classify it as weird-uncle rock
>>
>>65087631
Well, I meant "by the '80s". Some did it earlier than others.
>>
>>65086468
But to that child, it's mom-rock
>>
>>65088106
this

prog rock is unclecore
>>
no, because all the guys listening to prog back in the day were too nerdy to breed.
>>
>>65086420
All music is destined to become dad rock

Listen to what you enjoy
>>
>>65086420
popular prog from the 70s and 80s is... not all prog is dadrock and not all dadrock is prog.... not sure what you are trying to say
>>
>>65088259
>>65088148
my uncle fucking loves yes
>>
>>65088290
Soon kanye will be dad rap
>>
>>65088199
no, the point is that the aunt never has children
she's the old crazy prog lady
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.