[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how to find better obscure shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1
File: Starfucker_self_titled[1].jpg (74 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Starfucker_self_titled[1].jpg
74 KB, 400x400
how do i find better obscure shit. people always know sick obscure artists to rec like pic related, but every obscure band i find is just a shitty bandcamp shit band. how do i find bands
>>
Lurk moar
>>
Pandora
>>
>>65069694
Rym desu
>>
>>65069740
Not OP but I found STRFKR through pandora actually lol

I haven't used it in years though. Pandora has a patent on their music rec system but they don't have a library I can pick and choose from like Spotify.
>>
google

"bandcamp + releases + "enter date")

or
http://www.albumoftheyear.org/2016/releases/may-05.php

The only release I've heard so far from this week thats not on that list I got my reading a genre related magazine, Decibel which is the best music magazine right now of any genre not just in metal.
>>
>>65069694
RYM is your pal
>>
also record stores

just either by browsing featured albums eg. display, listening stations, new release lists, staff picks, etc.

or I go to the used bin and literally flip over every single cd and look for ones with 2016 copyrights
>>
>>65069781
That's how I found them as well.
Oddly enough, they appeared on my Talking Heads/David Bowie/David Byrne channel.
>>
>>65069751
>>65069806
Can I find a complete list of every single release this year? I checked the new release list on the homepage but it seems to only start from next week May 27
>>
>>65069694
Spotify discover menu, music reviews, /mu/, friends etc.
>>
Sorta related but if I can't find an album on Piratebay, Kickass, Rutracker or Soulseek, what do I do? Kill myself?
>>
Browse discogs, look up record label rosters, browse bandcamp and soundcloud, etc.
>>
RYM, Discogs, Last. fm
>>
>>65071507
Archive man, the archive is the shit
>>
>>65070025
Yeah you can

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2016
>>
I used pandora for a month or two and discovered new artists through there. Then i got listening on spotify, browsed my discover weekly playlists. Also listen to related videos on youtube. Look up music you like on discogs and it displays related music for you to listen to. Listen to live sets and refer to the tracklist for tunes you liked.

These days i primarily find music through /bleep/, but using the aforementioned methods i discovered hundreds of artists i liked, some obscure.
>>
>>65071622
no that only goes to 1,000

and there's probably twice that many already released this year. There's probably already 1,000 listed on albumoftheyear.org
>>
>>65071651
https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=esoteric&type=album&year=2016&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

you should find this to be of interest then
>>
>>65071614
Checked there and nada. Plenty of mentions of the bands but no links.
>>
>>65071507
What album?
>>
>>65071659
for what? obscure shit? I've had people on that list thank me for literally just smiling at them.
>>
>>65071700
Despairing Fates by Soulmass.
>>
>>65071703
what?

i'm just tryna show you how to find "better obscure shit". that's a good way to do so.
>>
Suck your gayraybyanydad'sdickharder
>>
>>65071726
well what exactly did that do? just reorder the same exact list I just looked at?
>>
>>65071748
No, I created a new list wih more obscure artists and more interesting and inaccessible music.

If you're gonna be such a shitface no one's going to help you, me included
>>
How to find obscure shit, like "Intro" from Sketches for an Infinite Youth by Vår?
>>
>>65071787
what in the fuck you didnt create anything. that link takes me to the RYM Top 1000 Chart but only reordered in some "esoteric" way automatically.

useless

although yeah since op does actually seem to care a lot about what other people think then maybe he will use it.

yes it is frustrating that rym has a comprehensive as fuck new release list but it apparently disappears after the current week. Same basic thing for encyclopdia mettalum or whatever.

albumoftheyear.org is the most comprehensive list I've found so far
>>
>>65071846
Yeah, fuck off. Shill your shitty website elsewhere
>>
>>65071858
holy fuck you're delusional

you literally didnt "create" anything with that list and no I dont own or work for aoty.org holy christ get a fucking grip
>>
>>65071883
>i-i swear i'm not tryna shill this website that's incredibly u-unpopular
>*insert ad hominem here*
Typical shill
>>
>>65071896
I'm the one interested in a comprehensive list of this year's releases.

and I think its obvious what you're interested in.
>>
>>65071924
Which is what? Point out the fact you've done nothing but shit on any website that isn't aoty.org? Yeah, that's what my focus is. My original focus was helping OP.
>>
>>65071956
>Which is what?
for starers playing the /mu/ police detective which is incredibly fucking annoying. What did it trigger you that I used .org? Thats unfortunately necessary given the name of the site.

I asked a very specific question about RYM. Either you know the answer or not, because you have gone off on some bizarre tangent.
>>
>>65071507
Soulseek = Whatcd > Archive > Rutracker > shit > kickass > piratebay
>>
>>65071990
Dumb shill trying to damage control as usual
>>
>>65072073
ibid
>>
>>65072053
All of those failed me.
>>
>>65069694
>sick obscure artists to rec like pic related
>pic related
it's starfucker. this is obviously a troll thread
>>
>>65071507
what album?
>>
>>65072323
>>65071718
>>
>>65072384
https://soulmass.bandcamp.com/album/despairing-fates

If you can't afford $5 then you've got bigger problems than the new Soulmass
>>
>>65072422
Broke til next Friday but thanks.
>>
>>65072476
no prob, happy to help

do you know specifically what city or region in florida they're from?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.