[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to tune a guitar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: fg75.jpg (186 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
fg75.jpg
186 KB, 960x540
without a tuner

Hi kids! I am going to explain to you how to tune your guitar to standard tuning without a tuner so you don't sound like shit

A guitar is an imperfect instrument. The key to getting it in tune is to get it 'equally out of tune'

I'm sure you have done the 5th fret method before, problem is your E's won't match up and it will sound like shit and way off

I have played guitar for longer than you've been alive so listen up

If you don't have an E don't worry about it. It doesn't matter, your instrument will be in tune with itself. I don't have perfect pitch so I try to play something in my head like Back in Black that has a clear E and I've heard a million times. Again, doesn't matter if it's a little bit off at all

The first thing you want to do is get your two E strings in tune with eachother

>tune the high E to the 5th fret harmonic of the low E

>tune the 2nd fret on your D string to the 12th fret harmonic on your E string

>tune the 7th fret harmonic on your G string to the 5th fret harmonic of the D string

>tune the 3rd fret of your b string to the 12th fret harmonic of your D string

>tune your 12th fret harmonic of your A string to the 2nd fret of your G string

Usually your B string will be a LITTLE bit flat relative to your top E. I try to balance it so that E and A chords sound equally out of tune

Next time you pick up a random guitar this is how you should tune it before you play. I know it sounds goofy, but it's simply the best way to tune a guitar without a tuner. Your guitar will sound SWEET

I still prefer to tune in this method if I'm not playing with other guitars. This method gets your guitar in tune WITH ITSELF
>>
I prefer to make sure my low E is in tune. play the root chord of the key I'm in and tune the guitar until it sounds in tune
>>
>>65064218

tune to an E chord then play an A chord. It will sound terrible. This method makes it sound good no matter what chord you play
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 1080x1082) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 1080x1082
I don't know how to play any instrument. I've tried playing bars and chords before and learning scales and its all nonsense. I think I have a disorder, it extends beyond my lack of ability to play an instrument. I cannot follow instructions.
>>
>>65064264
it takes a while to understand how different theoretical concepts work together within the larger frame of music, so not having a clue is relatively normal at first, you just need to stick with it.

my personal method of tuning is just getting the low E in tune through memory of what it sounds like, then fucking around with the other five strings accordingly.
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0VArscJTApD
>>
Instructions unclear, penis caught between strings. Help, the nylon hurts.
>>
>>65064324
what the fuck did you play at :59? loved the sound of it.
>>
>>65064351
>>>/reddit/
>>>/reddit/
>>>/reddit/
>>
is the hole made for fucking
>>
File: 1413930462908.jpg (38 KB, 502x432) Image search: [Google]
1413930462908.jpg
38 KB, 502x432
>>65064110

>tuning to E
>>
>>65064462

im actually tuning to D though because my guitar is bow neck yamaha from 1967 and the action is a mile high

>>65064371
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0HiotsvdXR1
>>
>>65064110
I imagine Whole lotta love to tune my guitar. The bd bd E E E riff gets me my first string. I'll try out your method.
>>
>>65064110
or, have properly working ears
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.