[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post yfw he ruined dubstep's public image forever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 10
File: Skrillex.jpg (109 KB, 800x1083) Image search: [Google]
Skrillex.jpg
109 KB, 800x1083
Post yfw he ruined dubstep's public image forever
>>
o
>>
>dubstep
>public image
>>
I just hope we can go back to the roots of dubstep one day and leave behind all the pop nonsense
>>
>he
>>
He created dubstep's public image
>>
File: tfw.png (531 KB, 633x530) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
531 KB, 633x530
>>65018112
>tfw
>>
>>65018552
Skrillex is better than Burial Tbh.
>>
>>65018112
he doesnt make dubstep though

he created a new genre called brostep and ruined it's image
>>
>>65018678
brostep existed before him
>>
>>65018732
name some brostep artists that existed before skrillex then
>>
>>65018741
rusko
>>
>>65018775
he is total shit though
>>
>>65018552
at least we still have volor flex and nocow carrying the torch
>>
>>65018783
well yeah, he makes brostep.
>>
>>65018832
skrillex is good though

nothing better than ironically pumping out bangers through your massive sound system
>>
>>65018112
doesn't matter, he's faded out of the limelight since his contemporaries could pump out more singles while staying relevant. what was the last thing he put out that got as much attention as his debut LP? the collab with bieber and diplo, right?

>>65018816
Volor Flex's stuff all sounds the same - I've listened to his 2nd and 3rd albums dozens of times but I still am unable to draw any differences.

Nocow is boring.
>>
>/mu/ discusses dubstep
>>
>>65018741
Coki, you know, the guy who literally invented brostep
>>
File: 1459921379181.jpg (94 KB, 765x743) Image search: [Google]
1459921379181.jpg
94 KB, 765x743
>>65018593
>>
>>65018895
desu when I play out I sometimes play a cheeky skrillex tune
>>
loooool americans thinking they know shit about dubstep
>>
>>65018783
you've got it backwards mate
>>
File: ROOTS.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1488) Image search: [Google]
ROOTS.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1488
>>
>>65018552
Burial really hasn't had jackshit to do with dubstep since 2007. And even then his style was more indebted to the Horsepower sound first coined as "dubstep" back in '02 than what the genre had evolved into by '06/'07.
>>
>>65021109
You really are clueless.
>>
>>65021128
nah they're right
>>
>>65021128
>You really are clueless.
Well then, by all means bestow some knowledge upon my feeble mind
>>
>>65021150
He's generally right, but the years are all wrong.
>>
>>65021178
What are the correct years?
>>
>>65021034
lol lads typing all lowercase no punctuation and baiting for american responses
>>
>>65021109
shut the fuck up dude
Burial pretty much created dubstep
>>
Skrillex is an excellent producer and gets hate here because
>Muh brostep

Genuinely talented and has his place in music history, he helped popularize the weird disgusting noise that is brostep. He brought dirty electronic music to a mainstream audience

There's a reason him and diplo mesh so well.
>>
>>65018131
https://www.youtube.com/user/MonstercatMedia
>>
>>65021266
>There's a reason him and diplo mesh so well.

because they both make shit music
>>
>>65021287
>Monstercat
>the roots of dubstep
what
>>
>>65018112
really? did he ruin it? or did the millions of people who love and buy and download all his shit ruin it?
>>
>>65021186
I'd say 01, that's when Tempa004 was out.
>>
>>65021315
hmmmmmm,,, good point anon. i think u got it. never looked at it quite that way b4......
>>
>>65021289
Diplo is talented, dude produced paper planes
>>
>>65021329
True, though it wasn't until '02 that "dubstep" was first coined and FWD>> nights started, but yeah around that time period was the genesis
>>
best era of dubstep was like 09-2012.
so many online radio stations playing really underground shit. that was before edm blew up
now everything is pretty fucking gay desu.

i used to feel cool listening to dubstep, now i feel like a faggot
>>
>>65021331
that was Major Lazer, dipshit
>>
>>65018131
riddim. look up people like badklaat or requake
>>
irrc skrillex said himself, that the edm scene is dying partly due to the fact that there are more businessmen with their hands in everything than actual producers.
>>
>>65021220
>>
>>65021369
I don't think there was anything before Murderous Style, really.
Gorgon Sound is obviously not dubstep record.
>>
>>65021371
>best era of dubstep was like 09-2012
loool lad i bet you don't even know what fwd or dmz are or heard a tune on a proper soundsystem
>>
>>65021266
skrillex only has a few good songs. i prefer people like spag heddy, doctor p, extra terra, kai wachi, etc. i honestly dont know why skrillex got so much fame rather then excision or datsik since they are so popular in the dubstep community
>>
>>65018112
Dubstep is long dead already, who cares
>>
>>65021371
>i used to feel cool listening to dubstep, now i feel like a faggot
what do you mean by this? you dont need to listen to popular artists just because they are popular. there are still producers who make dubstep like 2010
>>
>>65021437
>excision or datsik since they are so popular in the dubstep community
trve dubstep head here
they aren't
>>
>>65021402
Yeah Benny and the Horsepower and Tempa guys up until that point were still murking about in that dark garage style but hadn't yet branched out far enough into what would be dubstep.

Tempa004 is a pretty accurate starting point.
>>
>>65021453
>there are still producers who make dubstep like 2010

But dubstep was pretty much dead by that point
>>
>>65021456
>they aren't
uuhhh yeah they are. give me some examples of popular producers
>>
>>65021416

OFC i know what fwd and dmz is. I bet you never went to either of em lmao. neither did i, but im not from the uk.

the best dubstep has been deep shit for a long time now. thats really the only kind of dubstep i listen to.

check out this album that just dropped tonight by a group called truth on deep medi. the tune jade helm is really sick.

https://store.deepmedi.com/download/medi092d
>>
Any Goth-Trad fans?
>>
is this le dubstep? shit just came out and its fucking insane imo

https://soundcloud.com/steelan/sensoria-concept-pt2
>>
whats the public image of breakbeats and drum and bass?
>>
>>65021494
lol lad I've been into dubstep since MRL and been to plastic people loads of times and I can definitively say that by the end of the decade, with the exception of a few old heads and select producers around the DMZ/Tempa/Deep Medi circles, dubstep was on its last legs creatively speaking

i'll give that album a listen tho
>>
>>65021496
yeah lad

those japanese know how to make choons innit

even garridge bangers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si0ANJGsPJU
>>
>>65021379
which is one half diplo lmao
>>
Was this the point when dubstep first really cracked into the mainstream music scene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNStVlJWy88

I remember Midnight Request Line had been a pretty big crossover track a few years back, but this was something else entirely. It was A-listed by Radio 1, made the singles chart, and played at every fucking club night regardless of genre for ages.
>>
postin some classic dubstep choons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBT5BvbyMCo
>>
>>65021508
DnB is generally seen as pleb but there's definitely some patrish stuff.
>>
>>65021477
natty dreadlocks man, dead inside post-Deleuze man, young shit in buckets wasteman
>>
>>65018131
>>65021371
>>65021470
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT-mr6OIvrg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98LH5gJIw4A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-5E0Kgu9iI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kinFrx1nRS4

some of these are a bit different then original dubstep but its still closer then whats mainstream right now.
>>
>>65021000
I want to fuck that robot waifu
>>
>>65021477
a lot of these guys either diversified their sound in more recent years or just plain sold out but here are some popular producers linked to the dubstep scene:
Skream
Benga
Coki
Burial
Distance
Zomby
Kode9
>>
>>65018552
Burial is 2step senpai, not dubstep baka
>>
>>65021686
i was talking about current dubstep not oldschool
>>
>Dance like a madman to dubstep and D&B bangers every weekend for years. Don't know shit about the genres.
>Rest of the time listen to indie/alt/whatever rock for the feels.
Yup, that's a greentext.
>>
>>65021693
Current dubstep is a creative wasteland lmao
>>
>>65021689
No, he really isn't.
ever heard any garridge
>>
>>65021715
explain
>>
>>65021725
yes lad craig david, daniel bedingfield, disclosure, the list could go on
>>
>>65021740
BO SELECTA
>>
>>65021729
Self-explanatory. The whole tearout style turned into "brostep" was fine for about five minutes on Fabriclive37 back in 2008 but has more than worn its welcome. So much overcompressed FL studio preset cookie cutter shite comes out of it.
>>
>>65021759
what artists have you been listening to?
>>
>>65021500
this goes p hard
>>
>>65021619
postin some modern dubstep choons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrKRr2esnyc
>>
>>65021776
I really couldn't tell you any names offhand since I don't pay much attention to that sort of stuff these days. Feel free to recommend some that might change my mind though.
>>
>>65021759
>tfw you will never be 15 again and enjoy fabriclive37 for the first time
>>
>>65021813
kai wachi
snails
eptic
doctor p (specifically 'sweet shop')
spag heddy (specifically 'gimme a break' and some of his older stuff)

snails - frogbass
document one - clap
liquid stranger - bombaclaad star
liquid stranger - ripple vip
>>
>>65021437
>spag heddy
lol are you fucking kidding me? one of the most uncreative and generic producers of this generation, jesus christ off yourself
>>
>>65018112
senpai desu real nigga hours
>>
>>65021715
Commodo and Pinch senpai.
>>
>>65021477
lel.
J:Kenzo, Commodo, Distance, AxH, Nomine, Pinch, Ipman. Pretty much anything on Tempa or Tectonic.

Datsik and Excision is brostep trash. nobody likes em.
>>
>>65021128
You're a retard.
>>
yeehaw
>>
london x south africa x garage x bass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2btaDYuVFfw
>>
Why are british electronic music genres so confusing
>>
>>65022855
Before the popularisation of internet in the late 90s, American and European music were quite diverse and didn't really influence each other as much as they do now.
>eurodance, trance, hardcore, 2step, garage, dubstep: all quite unknown in the US
>>
>>65021287

>Cringe
>>
>>65021437

>Hates Skrillex

>Loves Skrilex clone (Spag Heddy)

ayyyylmao
>>
>>65022855
because the way it works is that it's very linear
one thing is replaced by the next thing every two years or so.
Being into uk club music means you have to put in effort to keep up instead of just listening to essentials.
>>
is this guy from teen suicide
>>
You cant "ruin" a public image?

Explain to me how one musician destroys the value of previous albums that were released in the genre.
>>
>>65023185
>bro asks you if you listen to dubstep
>you nod in anguish
>bro puts on yankstep
>yfw
>>
>>65023185
that's not what public image means
>>
>>65023185
>dubstep
>albums
Yeehaw.
There's the Kode9 albums, the Mala album and the Skream album
literally who gives a fuck, when all the tunes are available as singles or the album itself is technically a series of singles

Also, the public image of dubstep wasn't ruined, it was always this bad, just liesten to one of those early Skream radio shows on rinse
>>
>>65018112
skrillex is to dubstrp what john travolta was for disco and 50cent to hip hop (and guetta/sinclar/harris to house).
>>
>>65023580
in the sense that they popularised it globally: maybe. But skrillex his music has almost nothing to do with the original dubstep genre. Which is of course fine, but at least take the courtesy to coin a new term for your subgenre.
>>
>>65018112
lol he's literally a nu male with dyed hair
>>
>>65021371
>now i feel like a faggot

Don't worry I'm sure people already thought you were one.
>>
its ok cuz I just make what I want to listen to
https://soundcloud.com/zeldex/zeldex-cyborg-llama
>>
>>65022983
>Hates Skrillex
i never said that. i like some of his songs
>>
File: Untrue.png (58 KB, 263x356) Image search: [Google]
Untrue.png
58 KB, 263x356
>>65018552
I just got into Burial a few weeks ago and I was shocked that the genre was supposed to be dubstep
>>
>>65028599
because you're an ignorant american that's why
>>
Honestly, I miss dubstep so much.

Flux Pavilion
Skrillex
Nero
Zedds Dead
Bassnectar

Talk shit all you want, I loved that music. It's sad when you want to hear new good stuff and it just doesn't exist. It's weird to me how in EDM entire generas just disappear.
>>
File: 1463762045863.jpg (7 KB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
1463762045863.jpg
7 KB, 240x232
>mfw actually wait for the next jack u album
>>
>>65028696
are soundcloud and youtube banned in your country or are you just not smart enough to actually find music, theres still a lot of amazing dubstep being produced, even in that style
>>
>>65028696
>>65028837

>Flux Pavilion
Last album 2015, no notable hits.
>Skrillex
Last real dubstep album 2011.
>Nero
Last hit was in 2013
>Zedds Dead
Last EP was 2014
>Bassnectar
Last album 2015.

Literally where? What am I missing?
>>
>>65028688
so... what is dubstep then?
>>
>>65028940
as if other artists dont exist. i am sure there are literally 5 artists making that style of music across all time. great logic. flux pavilion's album is actually pretty good, listen through it again, and besides, it only came out 8 months ago. go on soundcloud, go on youtube, believe it or not there is great music out there that doesnt have 10 million+ plays.
>>
>>65028995
Dubstep /ˈdʌbstɛp/ is a genre of electronic dance music that originated in South London, England. It emerged in the late 1990s as a development within a lineage of related styles such as 2-step garage, dub, techno, drum and bass, broken beat, jungle, and reggae.[1][2] In the UK the origins of the genre can be traced back to the growth of the Jamaican sound system party scene in the early 1980s.[2][3] The music generally features sparse, syncopated drum and percussion patterns with bass lines that contain prominent sub bass frequencies.
>>
>>65028995
140BPM (give or take), half-time percussion, emphasis on sub. That's it. It doesn't matter if it's melodic, chill, deep, aggressive, or has an emphasis on a particular kind of sound design (be it more synthy stuff like Seven Lions, abrasive sounds like Skrillex, or neuro sound design).
>>
>>65029054
Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting what you're saying. I was just trying to point out the artists I liked the most in the genera aren't releasing much good new material.

But, I'm asking honestly. Who are some people I should check out?

Flux Pavilion was god-tier IMO

>I can't stop
>cracks
>bass cannon
>Got 2 Know
>Gold Dust
>Midnight Run
>all the eastern girls

Anyone else in the game right now making a similar sound?
>>
>>65029221
not gonna lie, i dont listen to much flux pavilion-esque music so im unaware if theres more stuff out there, but that sound is incredibly easy to make so if you have a passion for it, go produce and make it. nothing is stopping you really.

that being said, on the more skrillex-y kind of things, hes made a lot of music under a lot of styles, but i would check out anything from spitfya, desembra, chime, the brig, virtual riot (especially his stuff from 2014), spag heddy, eh!de, noisestorm, teminite, barely alive (especially their old stuff), i mean theres a lot of stuff out there
>>
>>65029496
okay, thank you for the suggestions. really appreciate it.
>>
File: this one.png (309 KB, 400x526) Image search: [Google]
this one.png
309 KB, 400x526
A friend of mine said no too long ago that Dubstep is the Nu-Metal of the 2010's. Interesting, gritty beginnings (Dubstep had a bit of a different upbringing, it seems) but it rushed to the forefront of the mainstream too fast, diluting it and eventually turning it into the peaked-out spastic WAAAMPH!! PEW PEW EEEEEEEE fest it is today. Of course, I like that shit, subjectively.

But when I heard about Skrillex, I was checking in to see what Sonny Moore was up to, as he was doing electro stuff just before and I'm a From First To Last fan. I was also brand new to dubstep, and I sure did like what he did with it. It was something completely new to me, but the thing you gotta remember is he had a sound before, and it resonated in Scary Monsters.

He rode the wave, he didn't ruin the genre. Dubstep might not have been as mainstream without him, to a degree, but he helped smooth out the kinks for that huge, chaotic tone that so many of these new artist touch on. He made a trend. Then again, I got into this shit for the robot noises - Excision was my first jam, but now I worship Noisia and try too keep up with the Tippers, Haywyres and Imogen Heaps of the world.

But mfw he started putting out slimy normie garbage with Diplo and Beibeo
>>
>>65029850
>But mfw he started putting out slimy normie garbage with Diplo and Beibeo

Don't forget he's producing for rap artists as well: ASAP Rocky, the Game, ASAP Ferg, etc.
>>
>>65030007
He's all over the place, I'm happy for him because he's got a solid gig producing for other artist. Does well, but it's shitty because what he's capable of is nowhere to be seen. The K-Pop collab he did was spot on for that genre. But let's not fret about the normies, let's remember the fun stuff he put out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcLaYwl48v0
>>
>>65029850
Completely agree. Haywyre's a great dude too actually, a close friend of mine. He's always trying to push music forward. Noisia gives me a lot of hope too, especially in the music of today they've influenced. The newer neuro music out there has the same production values and strive for perfection, but a lot has a lot more musicality too. Everything by Joe Ford, Spor's Caligo album, etc. I have hope for the future of music.
>>
>>65030198
Me too, and it's good to hear some hopeful thinking about it. For every shit-tier artist out there, there's hundreds more talented musicians that just need a few minutes to appreciate.

EDM seems to have started to lean towards that neuro/glitch/psy-trance gig. Lightning In A Bottle, a festival in Cali, has alot of that stuff (it's definitely geared for the millenial hippie) and Haywyre's gonna be there - which by the way, the next time you see your good friendo Haywyre, tell him that he's the freshest musician I've heard in fucking years and to keep it up. Dude murders that keyboard

I try to listen to Noisia Radio every couple of weeks. It should be more.
>>
>mfw pardners have no idea what dubstep is
EDM is a cancer to dance music btw
>>
>>65030561
You should just learn to feel the beat and party. England likes to mope, we like to have a good time. Life is too short to mope, partying is the order of the day in the home of dance music, America.
>>
>KTN teased a supergroup with Feed me

MY FUCKING DICK

edm is mostly shit but theres a few good artists left

>>65029221
nigga flux has a lot of good songs rn
>gold love
>mountain and molehills
>international anthem
>jah no partial
>who wants to rock
>>
>65031280
How is life too short? It's literally the longest thing any conscious being can ever experience. It's the longest thing we have.
>>
guys why are you talking so much about sam ray
>>
you don't have to see the image it has as bad, you know
you can change your outlook
you can change your values

he's a pretty good and innovative musician
>>
>>65031824
Because you're old and fucked up before you know it, stop whining about how sad you are and make yourself happy while you're still young. Join the party!
>>
>>65023455
Underwater dancehall, Aerial, Margins Music, London Zoo, Three EPs, lots o good albums.

I agree on dubsteps image though, it was always shite, garage wasn't exactly high culture and seeing how dubstep culture drew from garage and jungle the public image was pretty much gone when it started
>>
>>65028995
No need to start this discussion again, dubstep is a surprisingly diverse genre, but burial has both feet firmly planted in the garage side of dubstep, i feel that a term like "ambient 2-step" would be more accurate for burial, if people really are obsessed with labeling things
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.