[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts? I grew up listening to this album with my dad so I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: metallicaalbumcover.jpg (19 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
metallicaalbumcover.jpg
19 KB, 600x600
Thoughts? I grew up listening to this album with my dad so I pretty biased, but I hear a lot of people saying this was the album metallica sold out and started sounding like trash.
>>
>>64819689
pretty much OP
>>
>>64819689
True
>>
>>64819723
>>64819751
care to elaborate? I mean, I know that a lot of people were saying they became sell outs with this album, but what in particular made people think that?
>>
>>64819853
Less lead guitar, shorter song structures. Lets compare first tracks of preceding album, which was blackened, an epic thrash song, to song #1 on black album, which was enter sandman. A fine track. but a grrove heavy hard rock song miles removed from what came before.
>>
>>64819853
they dumbed down their music and became a rock band to become a part of mainstream society and culture, and particularly in the case of lars and kirk, to live it up as part of that culture. previously they were heroes of the anti-mainstream and profoundly disaffected thrash metal scene, which developed as a reaction to commercialized glam metal. metallica also happened to be really good back in those days before they became rocktallica. listen to their previous albums and you will understand.
>>
This album was the album to open me up to a select category of music, Metallica led me into Metalcore, Alternative Metal, Punk, Post-Hardcore, Emo Rock and other things related to it. Weird transition but I also like Slayer and some Testament songs, so this album really opened the gates for me.
>>
>>64819689
they got butthurt by indie rock, and lars didnt make great simple drumming until st anger

whoa oh a woah
>>
IMO pretty fucking solid album. quality production and songwriting front to back, some of their best riffs, much more relaxing to listen to. Also introduced an entire generation into metal, even if this isn't a very heavy album, it worked very well for easing people into it.
>>
Fucking GOAT metal album marred by a weak track sequence. I mean, Sad But True as track two was one of the most boneheaded moves ever. It's just enough of a slight drop in tempo from Sandman to completely kill any momentum the album was building up.

I much prefer this tracklist I cooked up:

1. Enter Sandman
2. Wherever I May Roam
3. Through The Never
4. The Unforgiven
5. Sad But True
6. Don't Tread On Me
7. Holier Than Thou
8. Nothing Else Matters
9. Of Wolf And Man
10. The Struggle Within
11. My Friend Of Misery
12. The God That Failed
>>
This is the last GOOD album Metallica put out. They went to shit after this.
>>
>>64824655
Personally, I enjoyed Load and Reload as good rock albums, but it's undebatable their sound was unrecognizable after The Black Album.
>>
>>64819689

The album is great, as far as commercial hard rock/metal can go.

Metallica sold out between Puppets and Justice, a video for One was the first signal and working with Bob Rock was the cherry on top.

To be honest, the production of the black album was on point.
>>
So I'm the only one that thinks Metallica was shit before Black album, and they peaked with their magnum opus S&M?
>>
>>64819689
this album was when they decidedly departed from being a technical and/or thrash band. Which for a metal purist, that's never good. But, the way i see it, even though they ventured into country, what they put out was good for the style. it just wasn't metallica of old. Even a case could be made that if a lesser-known band had made St. Anger, it would be considered at least a decent album. But it was Metallica, and it was just weird.
>>
Kill 'Em All is their masterpiece.
>>
>>64826272
thats one of the shittiest opinions Ive read in here

>>64827485
for me its between KeA and MoP. they worked for a sound and really polished it in MoP but the beauty of KeA is that it was so cathartic and on the spot. few albums rock as hard as KeA.
>>
>>64819689
Nah, just because it's not thrash doesn't mean it's not a metal album and pretty strong. I really like it. Would have been happy if they continued in this way - more accessible but still metal.

Load was where they dropped off irreparably.
>>
>>64824595
>Wherever I May Roam
I love this track for some reason

Always liked when metal would have a whiff of eastern scales in its riffs
>>
>>64819689
Favourite 'tallica album. My Friend Of Misery is GOAT. Almost got lyrics tattooed on me.
>>
>>64824595
Nice one anon, set up a playlist using that order. Good ear.
>>
>>64819689
nothing else matters is trash, the rest is ok
wouldn't mind if they continued this direction but their s/t still remains my favorite, Load is where they really sold out
>>
>>64819689
this was the last great metallica album
>>
>>64827485
The only album of theirs i can stand.
It is pretty amazing though.
>>
they sold out after ride the lightning.
>>
>>64819689
Even though that's true it's still a pretty great album, I only ever listen to it when I'm in the charge of music for gatherings with my normie friends though.
>>
This was actually the first album I ever bought.

I'm 18, which might explain why.

It pretty much got me into music. I don't listen to it anymore these days, I must've listened to it at least a thousand times. I still like it, but of course I prefer their first 4 albums much more. I also liked Load & ReLoad (albeit they should've released those albums under a different band) and Death Magnetic.

>>64824595
I'm gonna try this out. Neat suggestion, anon.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.