[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what genre is this, /mu/? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNM 8Tg9pvDU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: 38.jpg (90 KB, 842x418) Image search: [Google]
38.jpg
90 KB, 842x418
what genre is this, /mu/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNM8Tg9pvDU
>>
>>64742657
Anti-patriarchy
>>
female harmony indie pop
>>
>all those comments excusing their shit music because they're women
I guess thats what I'd expect from people who get their music from fucking NPR.
>>
>>64742657
nu-wave tumblr folk pop revival
>>
is just indie-pop with a 'edgy vocals' lol. i think the melodies are pretty good and like them overall.
>>
>>64742754
>nu-wave
>>
>>64742657
Twee pop maybe?
>>
"For what it is that could have been worse"-core
>>
>>64743165
I liked it too. They're doing more than any of the nu-males on this board ;)
>>
>>64742657
cringe
>>
I actually liked it
>>
really bad twee pop
>>
>>64742657
actually sort of interesting indie pop. reminds me of BFF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yIGeEq12nQ
>>
>>64742657
cringecore
>>
women are really cringeworthy 2bh
the pretty ones especially have absolutely no self awareness
>>
>TFW the patriarchy makes better music than you
>>
>>64742657
Gurl music for thr gender with cooties
>>
does the one on the left have no eyes?
>>
>>64742657
This is cool actually.
>>
people like it because its authentic

and by people i mean tumblerinas
>>
HOW THE FUCK THESE UNTALENTED HACKS HAVE 100K VIEWS
BUT JAMES FERRARO OR DEAN BLUNT,BARELY BREAK 10K

WHY ARE AMERICANS SO FUCKING DUMB
>>
File: 1367381846106.jpg (275 KB, 998x1000) Image search: [Google]
1367381846106.jpg
275 KB, 998x1000
>>64742657

white people are memes
>>
i DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS WHITE MALE MEME
WHEN THESE ARE TWO WHITE FEMALES WHO ARE BASICALLY DOING THE SAME
ARE PEOPLE THAT BLIND?
I GURANTEE IF YOU TWO BLACK GIRLS DID THIS PPL WOULDN'T EVEN WATCH IT
>>
>>64742657
Squinty-eyed Bitchpop
>>
File: 1304938223524.jpg (47 KB, 369x368) Image search: [Google]
1304938223524.jpg
47 KB, 369x368
>>64742657
"stringy-strangy suck my wangy"
>>
>>64742657
I really enjoyed that
>>
>>64744546
there's a constant expression of pain on their faces while they play this bullshit, who would've thought that all this music stuff is so hard?
>>
>>64742657
wow american white women really have no soul or brain
>>
>>64742657
sounds like they're having guitar lessons for a month now
>>
>>64742704
NPR's music taste really isn't that far from /mu/'s
>>
File: 87619139.jpg (44 KB, 554x639) Image search: [Google]
87619139.jpg
44 KB, 554x639
>>64742657
>that guitar "solo" out of fucking nowhere at 5:00
>>
>>64742657
i like the opening track tb.h
>>
>>64742657
Cherry Picking is their only good song
>>
guys how do musicians get famous i'm very confused

like i think these girls are okay and i like the songs they played but there are lots of smaller bands that i think are way better and more deserving of being on npr and getting a ton of free views etc
>>
>>64742657
>if Led Zepplin was all girls
>>
Musically it isn't terrible but I don't get why they feel the need to have such edgy lyrics and tone in their vocals.

It sounds like they could actually sing but they deliberately make their voice sound annoying for the sake of being "punk" or whatever they're going for.

Also, their poetry doesn't make for good lyrics.
>>
>>64742657

the end of western culture as a result of empowering women - core.
>>
>>64744936
it's completely random
>>
>>64744936
odds are someone at npr likes them
it's about associaton
if someone big happend to stumble across a bandcamp for soem obscure shit, and, unlike most people, instead of stealing thir sound, decided to promote them, it doens't matter how good or bad this music is, they'd get big. Names and association make a large chunk of it
>>
>>64744951
>Musically it isn't terrible
'no'
>>
>>64744936
Listen you underage faggot. Success in any field in the world doesnt come down to how good you are. That's just part of it. It comes down to who you know, who you meet, whose ass you kiss, and - and a lot of people don't want to admit this - how lucky you get. Thats how the world works my friend. Skill is only a small part of success.
>>
>>64744951
>Musically it isn't terrible

I have some bad news for you anon
>>
>>64744951
they just sound like rivers cuomo imo lol
>>
File: big_tuna.jpg (7 KB, 246x251) Image search: [Google]
big_tuna.jpg
7 KB, 246x251
>>64745003
>>
File: 1439888715507.jpg (256 KB, 624x636) Image search: [Google]
1439888715507.jpg
256 KB, 624x636
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxPsXPCR5MU
>>
>>64744988

call me stupid, you're probably right statistically, but i still believe in success through work, doesn't matter which field, and that's how i'm conducting my life. Fuck everything else.
>>
>>64744982
>>64744989
It could be a hell of a lot worse and you know it.

Though I would never listen to something like this.
>>
>>64744982
>>64744989
it's as good as any indie folk rock band
>>
>>64745037
Being good at what you do is obviously important and useful but the social side of things is just as important when it comes to getting a job or a promotion. Unfortunately this is just the way it works. Trust me my dude I wish it wasn't, I'm a social autist, I'm on 4chan too. But it is how it is. The sooner you realize it the easier your life will be.
>>
>>64744965
no not at all it has to do with complex systems that are very hard to determine precise algorythms but its not at allrandom
>>
>>64744749

Actually, I guarantee you if two black girls did it, it would be the front page of NPR for a week

>>64744936

Because Bob Boilen is a huge, literally fedora wearing cuck. He's a fucking horrible musician and a shitty writer. He pushes liberal politics through NPR music. He also doesn't even listen to most of the bands - he hears what they're about and then hands it off to some SJW intern.

>>64745052

No this is fucking horrible. Single note guitar and basslines. It's just being minimal and edgy to be minimal and edgy. I'm so sick of it.

>>64745097

He's right
>>
>>64745128
>Single note guitar and basslines.
Did you listen past the first 30 seconds?
>>
>>64745097
i do trust you but i neglect these other rules in order to feel good about my life.
Also beeing here is not beeing the equivalent of a social autist. I enjoy browsing /mu/ because I actually discovered a lot of new shit I enjoy here.
>>
File: man-plugging-ears-6944396.jpg (33 KB, 400x268) Image search: [Google]
man-plugging-ears-6944396.jpg
33 KB, 400x268
>>
>>64745160

Yep. It's really fucking bad.

>playing bass with a pick
>basically only playing eighths on roots
>playing made up guitar chords because ur stronk independednt wymyn
>>
female modest mouse ripoff
>>
>>64745231
>playing bass with a pick
Not a valid complaint. Plenty of well respected bassists use picks because it gives a certain tone.

>basically only playing eighths on roots
She wasn't doing that even on the first song they played.

>playing made up guitar chords because ur stronk independednt wymyn
God forbid they try to do something different.

I think you're just predisposed to hate it because of NPR.
>>
>>64742657
I don't know, why don't you tell us, /pol/?
>>
>>64742657
I really like it to be honest. Kind remind me of the Shaggs
>>
>>64745259

It gives a shitty tone and utterly limits how the instrument can be played. Practically all bassists that use a pick only play quarters and eighths on root notes.

She was doing it the entire time she wasn't playing some #quirky lick

Yes, god forbid it. It's fucking stupid. They clearly either haven't listened to enough music to know that it sounds amateurish or they only listen to amateurish music.

And yeah, NPR puts out some of the shittiest music around. They purposefully try to push liberal politics through what they promote.
>>
>daily threads about how womeme are meme 'musicians'
>someone posts bad womeme music
>/mu/ flips out with hurr durr 'how is this possible?'

never change mu
>>
>>64745259
NPR is a fucking joke these days. Every time I listen to them half the stories are about gender equality and how terrible women have it.
>>
>>64745326
>Practically all bassists that use a pick only play quarters and eighths on root notes.
That's such a poor generalization. It makes me think that you haven't listened to enough music to know what you're talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlkMScHBarc

The fact that you keep complaining about "quirky" and "strong womyn" really makes me think this isn't about the music.
>>
>>64745259
>I think you're just predisposed to hate it because of NPR.
Nah, that's not the reason he's predisposed to hate it.
>>
>>64745326
You know it's okay if you don't like it bro. You don't need to try so hard to justify it.
>>
>>64745475

I clearly do when shit like this is what's popular. They can somehow play music like 13 year olds and make a living while people with actual talents starve.

>>64745439

wow hahahahahahahaha your example of good bass playing with a pick is a shit punk act from the 80s where he just strums fucking power chords hahahahahaha

And yeah you're right, partly - it's about this very fucking obvious liberal bias being pushed through literally every part of the media. I just want to try and find good new music without it being related to the wage gap or black lives matter or period blood.
>>
>>64745329
Right and Bjork, Grimes etc is consider good music?
>>
>>64745577
>your example of good bass playing with a pick is a shit punk act from the 80s where he just strums fucking power chords hahahahahaha

Did you catch all of the slapping and popping in the first track? Mike Watt is renowned for bringing funk style bass to punk (maybe he ripped it off of the Pop Group), and he used a pick often.

Please leave the gender and race out of our discussion on musical merit. Not that this is a particularly great band, but you seem unable to field legitimate criticisms to back up your hatred.
>>
>>64745329
More like

>angry virgins constantly spam bait threads about how inferior women are
>find music that validates their preexisting bias
>300 post threads of angry virgins talking about how terrible women are
>>
>>64745605
I like how this anon's idea of women in music is "bjork, grimes, etc" You're just as bad as the jazz meme "miles davis, Coltrane, the list goes on..." but not one will call you out on it because le sexism is cool.
>>
>>64743464
as far as i know most of their lyrics reference childhood and how simple life was 'before the world was big'. never heard them say or sing something feminist or sjw.
>>
>>64745645
not him
but I have a gf and I just love coming on 4chan to shit about women
>>
File: CKsMXF2.png (18 KB, 1192x104) Image search: [Google]
CKsMXF2.png
18 KB, 1192x104
eyyyy
>>
this thread literally contains the most passionate discussion that will happen on /mu/ all day and the source of most of it isn't even the music.
>>
>>64745691
> to shit about women

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>64745691
congrats on being a mysoginist
>>
>>64745734
I'm not misogynist my gf and I agree certain things women just aren't good at
and music is one of those things besides singing better than men
she's anti-feminist also
>>
>>64744619
flid
>>
>>64742657
post free-bleed
>>
>>64745640

He literally played one riff and played it four times. It's beyond basic.

> leave the gender and race out of our discussion on musical merit

No, you fucking tumblrite. It has everything to do with why they are shitty.

>unable to field legitimate criticisms

They are very clearly bad musicians. I don't know what else to say, man. Their lyrics are fucking dumb and they're lazy instrumentalists.

>>64745688

>they only believe it if they sing about it

>>64745702

LE EMPOWERING MEME
>>
>>64745780
congrats on you and your girlfriend being mysoginists
>>
>>64745831

lol I can't believe how far people will take this shit. You simply can't fathom that other women would think feminism is totally fucked up and that we can all just chill and be happy.
>>
>>64745822
>He literally played one riff and played it four times
It's a 40 second song.

>It has everything to do with why they are shitty.
I just wanted you to admit it.
>>
>>64745846
It has less to do not being feminist and more to do with being "anti-feminist" (which to me seems like a nicer way of saying you're an MRA) and saying things like "women just aren't good at
and music" (guessing you mean any music here). This is pretty ignorant, not because "womyn are strong and powerful fuck you!!!" but because you likely have zero clue about any female musicians outside of top 40 pop and popular western rock music. Not that you'd search any of this out, it'll go against your preexisting bias. I'm sure you're "chill" and "happy," but that doesn't mean you're not a sexist and believe it or not, having a girlfriend doesn't mean you can't be sexist (or that she can't be either). It's a shitty cop out, sort of like people who say "hey, I have black friends. I'm not racist... now let me tell you why niggers are inferior to white people"
>>
>>64745822
>no respect for mike watt
>everyone who disagrees with me is tumblr
>bigoted nerd rager

lets not meet senpai
>>
>>64745882

So, you thought a 40 second song would be a great example of playing bass with a pick. Got it.

And why? So you could add me to your Excel spreadsheet of internet bigots you've run into? They aren't shitty musicians because they're girls; they are GIRLS that are SHITTY MUSICIANS. There's an entire societal movement that has inspired a generation of lazy, entitled cunts to attempt to redefine what "good" art is and this shit is the direct result of it. Decades after people figured out how to play something other than 3 chord, single-string slackjaw pop bullshit, it's being brought back into the public eye as an empowering way for women to express themselves. It's fucking nonsense.

>>64745951

>"anti-feminist" (which to me seems like a nicer way of saying you're an MRA)

hahahaha right, thinking feminism is a scourge makes you a fringe movement bigot. Got it. Plenty of women are fine artists, musicians included. But this bullshit that NPR pushes is not good art.
>>
>>64745951
no it's just my gf and I are both upper middle class where we live
her dad owns a construction company and my dad owns a gas station
feminist and equal pay doesn't affect us so we don't see the point of associating or supporting them.
Both are self aware acts like the ones in pic related are only getting praise not based on their talents but because the current agenda of promoting women and poc for anything

we hate weak people regardless. everybody has benefited from the patriarchy stop acting like it's a bad thing
>>
>>64742657
I clicked the link expecting to hate this based on all the posts, but I actually didn't hate it at all.

Minimalist tumblr girl twee done pretty ok

The lyrics are a little thin, sounds like they're just reading from their middle school diaries, but it suits the vocal styling and the primitive guitar work. As somebody who writes and performs music, I wish I had the balls to be as pared down as these two. It takes courage to face the onslaught of neckbeards just waiting for you to screw up. I don't think I'll be listening to these two again, but I mildly enjoyed it.
>>
>>64746028
I didn't realize the length of a song is how we judged the bassline.

>There's an entire societal movement that has inspired a generation of lazy, entitled cunts to attempt to redefine what "good" art is
That happened about 50 years ago and has nothing to do with gender.

>Decades after people figured out how to play something other than 3 chord, single-string slackjaw pop bullshit
Are you suggesting people could only play 3 chord, dingle-string slackjaw pop bullshit several decades ago? Is this how you see the history of music?

>And why? So you could add me to your Excel spreadsheet of internet bigots you've run into
I just wanted to make perfectly clear that this is not about the music.
>>
>>64746117

> happened about 50 years ago and has nothing to do with gender.

You're ignoring what we're talking about, conveniently.

>Are you suggesting...

No. I'm suggesting that popular music 50 years ago was essentially what these girls are playing, and we progressed from that. Now, these fucking lazy girls get a pass because of modern feminism. If you disagree that that's why they have a leg up, you're being ignorant.

>this is not about the music.

Stop ignoring me saying THE MUSIC IS ALSO SHITTY. That is the foundation of this. Their music is shitty and otherwise wouldn't get any attention, but women get a leg up right now because they're apparently the children of the universe.
>>
>>64746028
>hahaha right, thinking feminism is a scourge makes you a fringe movement bigot
Yes.

I can see someone not agreeing with feminism, or rejecting it, but if you seriously think it's a "scourge" then yes, you are a fringe movement bigot, or at least share way too much in common with said movements.

>>64746043
>everybody has benefited from the patriarchy stop acting like it's a bad thing
well, nice of you to admit it exists, but everyone benefits from it? what? do you know what that word even means.
>>
>>64746248
>If you disagree that that's why they have a leg up, you're being ignorant.
Uhhh, no, because you're making a pretty extraordinary claim with zero evidence.
>>
>>64745416
yup

i fucking hate liberals and I used to listen to NPR a lot like 10 years ago, it was always a bit left leaning but was still rational

its become liberal propaganda station

audible dogshit, unlistenable
>>
>>64746248
>Stop ignoring me saying THE MUSIC IS ALSO SHITTY.
Well, when we tried talking about the music you kept lodging complaints about things that weren't even happening in the music, e.g. the bassist only plays eighth notes on the root note, and then moving the goalposts to something about their gender when it was pointed out you were wrong.

>Their music is shitty and otherwise wouldn't get any attention, but women get a leg up right now because they're apparently the children of the universe.
Men get famous for making shitty music, much worse than this. There are a lot of all male groups that make music very much in the same vein as this group, and many of them are well known. This discussion doesn't work because you're not backing things you say up and are just relying on some far-fetched idea that feminism is causing all of these problems in music.
>>
>>64746269
>Patriarchy is a social system in which males hold primary power
I know exactly what it means and I repeat we wouldn't be here without it
every advancement in society has benefited from the patriarchy

Anyway I don't have time explaining myself to some poor person looking for a hand out because their parents didn't bless them with a good life
blame your parents not me.
>>
>>64746269

>yes

lol back to tumblr with you then

>everyone benefits from it? what?

lol like you don't know what roads and bridges and skyscrapers and cars and websites and farming are LOL

>>64746295

And you're living in a fairytale.

Claim: Their music is shitty and would otherwise go unnoticed but it's the 21st century and they're women

Evidence: This thread. The fact that a publication like NPR Music promotes them.

>>64746374

I'm not going to go through and give you the times where everything happens. If you think they're talented musicians, you're probably a shitty musician.

Men getting famous for also being shitty is the product of the music industry. Women writing their diary entries into bedroom twee get famous because white knights like Bob Boilen get their rocks of by #empowering wymyn. I literally cannot even begin to compile a list of all these shitty wymyn groups since they exploded about a year ago. Frankie Cosmos. Waxahatchee. Haim. It's all fucking shitty rock that would normally get laughed at but since it has women in it, it's solid industry gold.
>>
>>64746389
>every advancement in society has benefited from the patriarchy
Yes, every advancement in a patriarchal society came from said society. What a brilliant observation.

>Anyway I don't have time explaining myself to some poor person looking for a hand out because their parents didn't bless them with a good life blame your parents not me
So, you don't want to have to explain your retarded positions because apparently I'm poor and wasn't "blessed" with a good life. Alrighty then.

By the way, don't you mean "father" and not "parents?" You gotta keep this shit consistent man.
>>
>>64746547
https://beta.theodysseyonline.com/female-over-feminists

my gf just told me to let you read this Article!
Enjoy
>>
File: 53qcSWf11qfypwmo4_1280.jpg (49 KB, 544x544) Image search: [Google]
53qcSWf11qfypwmo4_1280.jpg
49 KB, 544x544
>>64742657
It's cringy to watch but I really like this opening song.
>closed eyes
>nodding heads
>>
>>64746547

No, YOU need to be consistent you fucking SJW trash. Claiming the patriarchy is the worst thing ever and then simultaneously acknowledging that it created the incredible world we live in today is the most literally insane cognitive dissonance I've ever seen. Try and hate yourself some more.
>>
>>64746475
>If you think they're talented musicians, you're probably a shitty musician.
I never claimed they were talented. Stop making things up to feel like you have the upper hand. However, I don't think one needs to be an advanced instrumentalist in order to make good, or especially even tolerable, music. My problem with your argument isn't that they're in fact talented musicians; it's that your complaints aren't based in anything (and it isn't so hard to find things to complain about), and you're willing to change your argument in every post when you get shot down. Are you seriously complaining that they aren't playing traditional chords?

>Men getting famous for also being shitty is the product of the music industry. Women writing their diary entries into bedroom twee get famous because white knights like Bob Boilen get their rocks of by #empowering wymyn.
I'm genuinely interested in hearing how you're able to get to this conclusion.
>>
>>64746475
>Evidence: This thread
Oh wow, hahahaha.

You're even dumber than I though.
>>
File: 09.gif (2 MB, 325x183) Image search: [Google]
09.gif
2 MB, 325x183
>>64746614
wow okay I got to the solo part
>>
>>64746475
Also, Waxahatchee has been around for at least 5 years -- her first album was out when I was in high school. Before that she played in an all girl punk band for some time. Come on.
>>
>>64746586

I was with you until

>what ever happened to chivalry?

LOL @ women wanting to have their cake and eat it too

>>64746629

My complaint: They make shitty music. This is objective. It's lazy songwriting and lazy instrument playing.

My complaint after that: This kind of act has been getting more and more attention in the last few years. This is absolutely, without a doubt, 100% because of the feminist movement.

My complaint after that: The feminist movement is bullshit and inspires young women to set the bar so catastrophically low because anything they do is labeled as "empowering"

There, broke it down for you.

And have you even seen Bob Boilen? Listened to his music? Read his reviews? Seen what politics he pushes? People like him are why shitty music is being put in front of people.
>>
>>64746586
ok

>>64746615
>Claiming the patriarchy is the worst thing ever
Didn't make that claim? I don't think it's the worst thing ever, but I'm not a fan of it.

>then simultaneously acknowledging that it created the incredible world we live in today
Also didn't make that claim. Where did I say we live in an incredible world? My point was pointing to patriarchy as the sole reason for advancements in society is disingenuous because a patriarchal society is pretty much the only thing that has existed. There's nothing to compare it to.

This really isn't a very hard concept to wrap your head around.

>the most literally insane cognitive dissonance I've ever seen
I guess you haven't read your own post then
>>
>>64746759

> patriarchal society is pretty much the only thing that has existed.

OR MAYBE

people have just been alive and doing stuff for a really long time and it just so fucking happens that men evolved to have more muscle mass than women and seem to gravitate towards tasks involving spacial relations and this was never an issue until women wanted jobs BUT not the hard ones nope no thanks men can totally still handle all the construction and trash collection!

LOL
>>
File: beautiful.png (2 MB, 1810x1235) Image search: [Google]
beautiful.png
2 MB, 1810x1235
What genre is THIS, /mu/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu7j8yH9grs
>>
>>64746736
>This is absolutely, without a doubt, 100% because of the feminist movement.
That's a ridiculous statement. Maybe more women are starting bands now for whatever reason. Female artists have been getting attention for a long time, such as Waxahatchee, who has been getting attention since her time in P.S. Elliot, and who you specifically claim is the benefactor of the feminist conspiracy. Are you familiar with the riot grrl scene of the '90s? Women successfully making music, even specifically rock music, isn't a new thing at all, and has little if nothing to do with feminism.

>And have you even seen Bob Boilen?
No, and I don't see what he has to do with anything.
>>
>listen to shitty music
>complain its bad

why do people do this?
just listen to good music and appreciate how its good.

all music sucks btw
>>
>>64746836
>when you're a white guy and you don't actually have anything to be mad about and you get scared minorities are coming to take america from you so you rage about MRA shit in threads about female musicians on /mu/
>>
>>64742657
>and they continued to chat shit, having never played any music instrument in their lives
>>
>>64746927
i think thats hip hop or rap. always get those confused
>>
>>64746967

Wow that was an incredible line of assumptions. Straight from the tumblr/reddit playbook.

>>64746955

>listen to shitty music
>tell other people it's not shitty

why do people do this?
just listen to good music and appreciate how its good

>>64746941

This is the man heavily influencing what millions of people think is good music

http://www.bobboilen.info/

What an immense faggot
>>
>>64746941
>MSM publishes daily editorials demanding we artifically popularize women and minority bands and marginalize white male bands
>it's just a coincidence that garbage like OP is getting NPR spotlights now

Even a shill as shameless as you can't possibly believe your own bullshit. I don't know what's sadder, the possibility that you're being paid to shitpost on an anime imageboard or the possiblity that you're spewing this propaganda for free in your spare time.
>>
>>64746836
LOL indeed
>>
>>64747083
people do this because all music is shit. the only fun thing about music is when you're high or in an emotional state. or simply when you play it.

most of the time its just for background noise
>>
>>64747083
>Straight from the tumblr/reddit playbook.
I know 4chin wants to believe reddit is a boogeyman, but I do have to inform you that reddit is pretty much 90% donald trump supporting MRAs at this point.
>>
female american football
>>
>>64747083
>the guy who sets up a show on NPR is your example of the feminist agenda overtaking the music industry
Nevermind the record labels pushing garbage like 21 Pilots and Imagine Dragons onto the actual masses. Shit music gets pushed regardless of gender, and pinning this on one man who works for fucking NPR of all places is absurd.

Looking through the lineups of the exact series they were featured in, I see a large portion of male artists. Of the females, I see plenty of highly talented artists, such as Julia Holter. I see a wide range of genres. Does this seem like an agenda to you?
>>
>>64747083
>Wow that was an incredible line of assumptions. Straight from the tumblr/reddit playbook.
nice us vs them deflection. typical MRA /pol/ TRP behavior. also guarantee you're a closeted self hating redditor
>>
>>64742657
I would say it's Americana or Folk; Poor musicians, singing poorly about mundane things
>>
>>64747228

Bahahaha yeah right, 21 Pilots and Imagine Dragons don't get 10% of the coverage Beyonce and Taylor Swift get.

NPR publishes content that millions of people see. This "one man" is the one man in charge of setting up a show that is supposed to show people what new, good music is. If you look back through their archive, you can see that almost literally every act has something to do with being a woman or being a minority, and other than that it's limp wristed nu males playing the same shit. You're totally ignorant if you don't think NPR is influential.

Also, giving Julia Holter as an example of a highly talented female artist is fucking dumb. I'm so tired of the "I'm a girl and I sing like a Disney princess/toddler and had a team of hipster nu males collaborate as my backing band to produce this orchestral pop record" game.
>>
>>64747326
>almost literally every act has something to do with being a woman or being a minority, and other than that it's limp wristed nu males playing the same shit.

why is this a problem and how does this even affect you?

>you're totally ignorant
fucking LOL
>>
>>64742657
"awful but they're women so it's okay"-core
>>
>>64747326
>you can see that almost literally every act has something to do with being a woman or being a minority
That's a pretty big exaggeration, because I see lots of white men on their page. Even Peter Frampton got a spot. Would you be happier if it were nothing but white males playing the exact same style of music? There's cultural diversity in the world, and there's no reason that wouldn't naturally show up in a music segment that doesn't stick to a single genre.
>>
I honestly don't see much difference between /mu/ and /pol/ at this point.
>>
Mods, pls ban everyone in this thread. Permaban everyone that posts the words: SJW, MRA, Reddit, Tumblr, Nu-Male and /pol/
>>
>>64747394

Are you fucking kidding? How, as a professional musician, does the MSM releasing garbage music that pushes an ultra-liberal political agenda literally every day affect me?

>>64747419

Notice that right after that I said

>and other than that it's limp wristed nu males playing the same shit

and I'm not surprised that mainstream outlets give highlight spots to a fossil now and then, it's just part of the music website checklist.

>>64747459
>>64747434

Get over it. Western culture has finally reached a point where those topics can saturate almost every conversation. Ultra liberal and conservative people are finally fighting out in the open, while everyone who has always been in the middle just laughs.
>>
>>64742657
Sounds like Slint.
>>
>>64747526
Just know I'm laughing the most at you, kazoku~~~
>>
>>64747526
>Get over it. Western culture has finally reached a point where those topics can saturate almost every conversation. Ultra liberal and conservative people are finally fighting out in the open, while everyone who has always been in the middle just laughs.
Does /pol/ think they're in the middle? That's kind of cute, actually.
>>
>>64747419
>Would you be happier if it were nothing but white males playing the exact same style of music?
Why does the race and gender even matter to this.
Promoting god awful bands just because they're women is terrible.
This shit is bland, sounds bad, and the only reason is getting any attention is because they're women.
>>
>>64747526
Oh, I see. It's another
>everyone is thing I'm railing against
>no, those counterexamples don't count because I said so
This is at least the third time you've done this. I can see that you're going out of your way to dislike things. More power to ya, bud.
>>
>>64747459
typical lefty

WAAHHH SOMEONE DOESN'T AGREE WITH MY LIBERAL NARRATIVE

MODS PLEASE CENSOR DISSENTING OPINIONS

PLEASE DOWN VOTE ALL NON LIBERAL VIEW POINTS AND UPBOAT ALL LIBERAL GARBAGE

THANKS FOR THE GOLD!
>>
>>64747526
>Are you fucking kidding? How, as a professional musician, does the MSM releasing garbage music that pushes an ultra-liberal political agenda literally every day affect me?
yep, white guy who thinks hes being unfairly discriminated against and thinks that minorities are coming to take his america from him.
>>
>>64747576

I'm not talking about /pol/, I'm talking about the people that have always thought both sides are ridiculous and think everyone just needs to chill.

>>64747588

I'm just pointing out that your post was dumb because I actually did say that the other part of what NPR posts is the same shit being played by hipster nu males. And that I'm not surprised a mainstream outlet posted an article about Peter Frampton.
>>
>>64747538
No it fucking doesn't. Slint is perfect example of a band that women would never be able to pull off
>>
>>64747586
>Why does the race and gender even matter to this.
That's my point dummy. He's complaining that their lineup has too many minorities. Why does this matter?
>>
>>64747629
He called for the banning of both of you types of faggots and you should be because you people and your arguments always shit up threads
>>
>>64747629
I also said ban people that disagree with you. Just they aren't here much, so they haven't filled the thread with buzzwords.

I'm actually a center right libertarian apparently, so you didn't even get that right.
>>
>>64747655
>>64747701

What I said has nothing to be with being a white male. Talented black transgender Wiccan illegal immigrant musicians are negatively affected by the mainstream media posting shitty music. The fact that it is rooted in an ultra liberal agenda is an entirely different thing.
>>
>>64747725
glad the libertarian circlejerk has finally showed up
>>
>>64747737
>The fact that it is rooted in an ultra liberal agenda is an entirely different thing.
Then why isn't the media pushing talented minorities? This is an issue with mainstream media pushing boring music, and is not reflective of any agenda to elevate certain minorities.
>>
>>64747681
>taking
>the
>bait
>>
>>64747737
have you ever considered that your music is shit and that you're untalented? you could put this whole discussion to rest by posting your material
>>
>>64747805

Because what the media sees as "talented" is entirely different from what is actually talented.
>>
>>64747886
>i'm 13 years old and mainstream music sux
>>
>>64744807
kek'd

expected this to be worse. prolly a biased opinion since i enjoy shoddy harmonizing and flat bass tone quite a bit. too bad about the pedestrian song structures and feminisms.
>>
>>64747947

>i'm 24 years old and unironically think mainstream music doesn't suck
>>
>>64747947
in reality its the 13 year olds who listen to mainstream btw
>>
>>64747672
>I'm not talking about /pol/, I'm talking about the people that have always thought both sides are ridiculous and think everyone just needs to chill.
Honestly, if you think the center is somewhere between the left and /pol/, you're probably much more far right than you think. That's not an insult or anything,
>>
>>64742688
>harmony
>>
File: 1460141710846.png (279 KB, 786x479) Image search: [Google]
1460141710846.png
279 KB, 786x479
at least bassist is better than the one in that other amateur female indie band that was posted the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us2Ns_Si-iM

>playing chords on 1 string like a kid learning from "babies first bass lesson"(in fact I think I remember beginner bass learning book I used in middle school music class where the first song was a calypso song played on a single string)
>>
>>64747979
I just don't nerd rage about it and convince myself that I'm being oppressed because of it.

also nice dodge >>64747809
>>
>>64747737
lol let's be honest here, if Op was a "talented black transgender Wiccan illegal immigrant musician" you'd be complaining about "le SJWs" showing this artist down your throat because they're a "black transgender Wiccan illegal immigrant"

No one is suggesting that the OP video is the greatest music in the world, people just aren't rejecting it with extreme prejudice. To you that is some "SJW" conspiracy, but you sure as fuck aren't complaining about "SJWs" for all the shitty white male music out there.
>>
>>64742657
Shitty indie, pixies and modest mouse did it better
>>
>>64747758
The problem is, I have no idea what you're talking about, and so I'm not offended. That and you're clearly dense.
>>
>>64748071
Why does everyone keep saying Modest Mouse? This band has almost nothing in common with Modest Mouse.
>>
>>64747809
here friend
https://clyp.it/qifwsycs
>>
>>64742657
nu-Shaggs
>>
>>64748092
vocals are pure modest mouse and pixies
>>
>>64748048

If they were blowing my fucking mind I wouldn't give a shit. Unfortunately I've yet to find an artist like this.
>>
>>64748146
>modest mouse invented yelled vocals
It's not okay to compare any musician who yells to Modest Mouse.

>>64748155
>if a band isn't mind blowingly good, it's a SJW conspiracy
Most bands aren't going to blow your mind. Does that mean we should stop sharing music we like?
>>
>>64748146
modest mouse also ripped off he pixies not sure what your point is.
>>
Tiny Desk is the worst
>>
>>64748205

>NPR's archive heavily consists of shitty minority acts
>NPR literally posts things pushing SJW rhetoric

If you like this shit, you're part of the "conspiracy"
>>
>>64748155
Well, yes, you probably haven't found a "talented black transgender Wiccan illegal immigrant musician" because you've thrown about as many buzzwords into a sentence as humanly possible.

If you can't, for instance, find a talented female musician, I'm sorry, you either know nothing of music or you have such an overpowering preexisting bias that you are unable to accept the idea that women can be musicians.

There are plenty of notable female musicians, especially outside of popular western music (which I doubt you've ventured out of) but you will never know who they are because you wish to remain ignorant. Instead, you'll find a single video of a female musician you don't like, proclaim "they're only appreciated because they're women" while you ignore the hundreds of female musicians and the hundreds of male musicians who make equally as "bad" music as this bad, but hey, that doesn't gel with your belief that women are inferior, does it?
>>
>>64748205
>Does that mean we should stop sharing music we like?

I think OP just posted this because he knew it would get a rise.
>>
>>64748246
My point is that they did this type of music better
>>
>>64748331

There are plenty of very obviously talented female musicians.

OP's video is not an example of obviously talented female musicians.

I've already said there are tons of people making shitty music, not just women.

Keep it up, shilldawg
>>
>>64748443
name one
>>
>>64748466

I'll give u 4

Courtney Barnett
Aurora
Ellie Rowsell
Natalie Bergman
>>
File: folder.jpg (80 KB, 500x503) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
80 KB, 500x503
I wonder when /mu/ will realise that the popularity of all forms electronic (outside experimental), owe thanks to a MtF woman?
>>
>>64742671
Not going to even watch the video but judging by the thumbnail - This.
Pass.
>>
>>64748443
Cool, so why are you turning this into an "SJWs only promote feeeemales because of feminism!" debate?

You clearly think there are "plenty" of "very obviously talented" female musicians.

Perhaps (stay with me here), you're only recognizing the "bad" female artists because you have some pre-existing bias. I mean, it's not like a major publication would EVER promote a shitty male pop artist or a shitty male punk artist, right?

>>64748490
I got no problem with these artists, but you've sort of proved my point that you have zero knowledge of women in music outside of popular western pop/rock.
>>
>>64748490
all of them are vocalists who make boring generic music. wouldnt rank higher than 5/10. and that only because i have a soft spot for females
>>
>>64748413
The point is this music isn't what Modest Mouse made.
>>
>>64742657
The harmonies remind me of Soophie Nun Squad.

Indie Pop I suppose
>>
>>64745250
this tbqh
>>
>>64748490
this has to be bait/ this dude just admitted defeat
>>
>>64748664
>>64748572

Are you serious? The girls in OP's video are shitty singers, shitty instrumentalists, and write shitty lyrics.

All of the girls I mentioned can either rock the fuck out on guitar, write good lyrics, or sing a whole hell of a lot better.
>>
>>64748888
no one's arguing that. its just that the girls you mentioned arent anything special. just mediocre generic bullshit ive heard a thousand times before
>>
File: 1323488149757.jpg (32 KB, 650x452) Image search: [Google]
1323488149757.jpg
32 KB, 650x452
>>64745577
>not recognizing the legendary Mike Watt.

How embarrassing.
>>
>>64748506
i.e. a man, what's new?
>>
>>64745702
It's like Riot Grrrl wasn't a thing
>>
File: totally rad solo.png (970 KB, 617x766) Image search: [Google]
totally rad solo.png
970 KB, 617x766
idk but that legendary solo was pure "Untrained 10 Year Old Trying to Sound Cool on an $80 No-Name Strat Copy With a Scull Paint-job Core"
>>
>>64742657
literally nothing fucking happens in this video.
that's the most bland boring shit
>>
>>64742657
Is there any fat musician that can be taken seriously?
>>
File: 1429208215179.png (53 KB, 188x226) Image search: [Google]
1429208215179.png
53 KB, 188x226
>>64742657
holy shit that was one fucking unusual solo
>>
>>64744951
>edgy lyrics
how?
>>
>>64749504
The solo was patrician as fuck
nigga you just don't understand
>>
where is everyone getting this idea that they are sjws, they seem decent
>>
>>64745577
>make a living
i doubt they are actually making good money off this
>>
>>64750192

nigger they're on Wichita Recordings they're pretty well off
>>
>>64749614
David Thomas
>>
File: 1360601594542.jpg (21 KB, 424x452) Image search: [Google]
1360601594542.jpg
21 KB, 424x452
>>64750011

I know ur 'aving a giggle but strumming as fast as possible and doing slides below the 12th fret is pretty boring and it's literally what a 13 year old who only learns from guitar tabs would do for a cool solo
>>
File: 1303877603164.jpg (16 KB, 160x157) Image search: [Google]
1303877603164.jpg
16 KB, 160x157
that solo
>>
>>64749614

no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8kSIpPYHaw
>>
i don't see how this is any different than the whiny emo vocals /mu/ circlejerks over
>>
twee pop was my first thought
>>
>>64751050
nothing's more patrician than the innocence of youth
>>
File: katebush.jpg (50 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
katebush.jpg
50 KB, 620x387
>>64749614
>>
>>64745780
>female anti feminist

your gf is basically a cuck
>>
>>64751559
she's old enough where it's pretty much normal to be fat
also she had a reputation from the pre-fat days
>>
>>64750263
Signing to an indie label will hardly leave you well off.
>>
>>64751745
I mainly posted her to trigger waifufags. It's interesting, though, the only mildly fat musicians I can think of that are actually good are all in metal. I wonder if there is a genuine link between being fat (or having the type of personality that leads to being fat) and creativity/intellect.
>>
>>64745577
If its so easy for people without talent to get noticed then the people with real talent must be doing something wrong. There's no need to get angry over it because like the bright anon just said, you need to know people to be able to gain more exposure. If the people with talent cant get that simple task done then let them deal with it.
>>
>>64751885
j mascis? d boon? daniel johnston?
>>
>>64752081
At least two of those are literal autists (not in a bad way). They're outliers any way you look at it, so I don't see them as representative of fat people.
>>
>>64751284

it's not but because they are women /mu/ says it's shit.

had both of them been replaced by white males they wouldn't mind
>>
>>64752194
I'm just shocked that while racking your brain to come up with of mildly fat musicians you could only think of metaltards rather than three obvious choices anyone else would easily think of.
>>
>>64748599
What the fuck? I restate, modest mouse and pixies did shitty indie better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kKVWknupeI
>>
>>64742657
I have noticed a recurring theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM1Mtz35bmU
>>
>>64752733
white men have been making shitty indie rock for decades and no one sees it as just a theme

why do they get a pass
>>
File: Bob-Boilen.jpg (159 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Bob-Boilen.jpg
159 KB, 1024x683
>>64752733

desu the only recurring theme I see here is that Bob Boilen and co. can't pick a decent band to save their lives and seem obsessed with female or female led bands
>>
Is this now a shitty Tiny Desk Concert Thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tADWPTqR_4A
>>
>>64753915
oh no you didn't
>>
>>64753915
Why are women uncapable of making good music?
The only exception that comes to mind is Björk and hes half ayy lmao so she doesn't count.
>>
>>64753915
This is good
>>
>>64753983
how about julia holter, joanna newsom, grouper, chelsea wolfe, fever ray, laurel halo, st vincent, the list goes on
>>
>>64754021
Yeah, what about them?
>>
>>64754050
top tier female artists
>>
>>64745032

the shaggs seem like they're having fun and aren't preaching to me about being angsty lesbians that hate the patriarchy
>>
>>64754021
you posted nothing but memes
>>
>>64753983
Julien is great you nerd.

and its "incapable".
>>
>>64754064
lmao
>>
>>64754083
If anybody's a meme its you for letting this site trick you into thinking that.
>>
>>64754083
music is a meme
>>
i actually can not stop listening to the opening song, its so juvenile and innocent
>>
>>64751050
think again pleb
https://youtu.be/oWfg7zpMY1I?t=115
>>
Shaggs-core
>>
>>64742657
I HEARD DAT HARMONIC ON THE GUITAR

THEY BEEN LISTENIN TO YES
>>
>>64747538
there's no difference between slint and this band but nobody will ever acknowledge this on here
>>
File: 1415163961045.gif (1 MB, 360x252) Image search: [Google]
1415163961045.gif
1 MB, 360x252
>that solo
>>
>>64742657

Hip-hop
>>
if they had a drummer and was from the 90s they might've been ok. They're 20 years late to the party.
>>
>>64742657
It looks like these ladies never got the memo that The Shaggs weren't actually a good band.
>>
>>64744936
pretty random. also girlpool went to an artsy-fartsy LA prep school. Graduated from similar LA school around the same time. Not saying that their success is undeserved but they definitely have had way more opportunities for exposure than most small bands b/c of where they grew up and other sorts of connections. I know lots of people from my high school w/ connections trying to do the whole music / artist thing, most of them probably wont be successful but they definitely have a better shot than some guy from a small town in minnesota.
>>
>>64742657

a moonshaped girl face

its animial collective music
>>
>>64753983
You wish you played this good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oM5Uqb1_D0
>>
>>64754809
saw these girls at a backyard show a couple years ago. The next year they played FYF. I don't really get it. They're alright.
>>
>>64754945
Tapping is literally garbage tier, easy as fuck to play and easy as fuck to impress plebs with it, even better if you're playing clean so you can't fuck it up by being dirty.
It sounded like shit in the 80s and it still sounds like shit today.

There's a reason why every 14yo that has started learning guitar knows how to do tapping.

At least you didn't post that ugly bitch from St. Vincent that's supposed to be good, I commend you for that.
>>
>>64755052
yo post some good shit senpai, you sound like you know your shit
>>
>>64755143
I don't know any good guitarists that play rock, sorry.
>>
>>64755289

you only know good shoegaze guitarist. i get it
>>
>>64748547
You aren't missing out on much. It's awful.
>>
why does this have so many replies
>>
>>64742657
Why do they keep making "those" faces?
>>
>>64752733
One of the girls in this band was on Okcupid in my city and I messaged her just to tell her how shit her band was.
>>
File: pure disgust.jpg (19 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
pure disgust.jpg
19 KB, 255x255
fuck me I actually like this crap
>>
>>64754809
pretty much this. the LA garage-pop contingent mainly made up of transplants from NY/NJ latched on to this band really quickly, that's how they got signed to Wichita (whose roster has gone to shit ever since the owner moved there). still i don't mind this band.
>>
>>64749981
Mentioning "cracks in the sidewalk" is like they took bad high school poetry 101

Maybe not edgy but cliche af
>>
File: gym-loud-music.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
gym-loud-music.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
>>64744888
>strumming fast and sweeping one finger across the frets
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.