[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"These songs are just a collection of cyberpunk bangers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 9
"These songs are just a collection of cyberpunk bangers ready to turn the dancefloor into a fucking warzone"
>>
File: brendan.gif (785 KB, 269x199) Image search: [Google]
brendan.gif
785 KB, 269x199
A large percentage of /mu/tants hang on this mans every word.
>>
>>64729685
I thought that was just a display of 6th level irony
>>
>>64729640
>fantano drones will defend him
>>
>>64729640
I agree
>>
>likes the two objectively worst tracks on BP
>>
I will say this--I never liked Death Grips. So I choose not to comment on the quality of their music, because it's not my thing.

But has anyone else noticed Fantano rapidly slipping? It's not just this review. Almost everything he says I generally disagree with or think is a poor critique.

Are high schoolers really hanging on this man's opinion on what is happening in music? I don't understand why, after all these years, high schoolers are suddenly paying attention to underground and indie music, or that they can even understand most of it.
>>
>>64729949
I did notice when he started reviewing Bieber and Cyrus. I thought that was slipping. But overall I think it's good to review albums like that though because it shows that he is objective when he chooses what to review.
>>
>>64729888
Which are?
>>
>>64729949

i tried listening to denzel curry after he gave it a great review, one of the worst things ive listened to all year senpai. same thing with the drones.
>>
>>64729949
i noticed it after he gave alabama shaker's sound and color an 8/10. jesus christ. one of the worst albums i've ever heard.
>>
>>64730067
What'd you think of zenith? I'm not a fan of the album overall but that track was pretty damn good.
>>
>>64729949
>Almost everything he says I generally disagree with
That means you disagree with him, that's what we call an opinion, and everyone has different ones.
>>
>>64730183
yeah but sometimes opinions are bad, and when i disagree with all of them, and everyone else on here tends to disagree with most of them, something's a little off, no?
>>
>>64729640

>Slightly less accessible hip-hop than normal hip hop

>WOW IT'S SO CRRRRAAYYYZZYYY ;)
>>
>>64729640
i dont always agree with him but at least he reviews the actual music and doesn't just talk about the artist, how the music influenced society like that other music review site
>>
>>64730508
Hang on anon

Follow me on this here for a minute

What if you're the one whose opinions are wrong?
>>
>>64730067
>Not liking the Drones

God damn, dude. I think you just have shit taste.
>>
>>64730671
Funny enough some /mu/tans are so desperate to trash him that they'll actually deny this.
>>
>>64730117
Really? I thought Sound and Colour was an amazing blues album that showed off the band's versatility.
>>
>>64729640
Wow.
>>
>>64730703
i considered that a possibility, that's why I added the condition that everyone else on here generally thinks he's wrong. So either thousands of people are frequently wrong about the same topic at the same time and only anthony is right, or vice versa. I'd bet on anthony being wrong.
>>
>>64729949
Fantano shits on a lot of albums that I love, a lot of albums that I think are genuinely good. Tomboy and the Age of Adz for example. But he dissects the music and backs up his opinions well. Even when I disagree with him, I can't help but see the record from his perspective.
>>
>>64730034
Bub Bub poison and warping
>>
>>64730925
He said BB Poison was a lull though familia.
>>
whens this nigger gonna stop saying "lumbering"
>>
>>64729949
This review ain't proof of that. This is basically on par with his review of TMS or TPTB.

However, I do agree with you. He's been on a downward slope for the past few years at least.
>>
>>64730844
>But he dissects the music and backs up his opinions well
>describing the music with purple prose is dissecting the music
No, you just don't know good critique.
>>
>>64730925
>>64730034
FAV TRACKS: GIVING BAD PEOPLE GOOD IDEAS, HOT HEAD, SPIKES, EH, BUBBLES BURIED IN THIS JUNGLE, TRASH, HOUDINI, THREE BEDROOMS IN A GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD

LEAST FAV TRACK: RING A BELL
>>
>>64730812
what the fuck do you mean everyone else on here generally thinks he's wrong? for every example you can bring up where he disagrees with the /mu/ hivemind there's one where he agrees with it.
>>
>9
Yeah, no
>>
>>64730844
>But he dissects the music and backs up his opinions well.
... when he's in the mood. Most of the time he doesn't, he just expresses how he feels with weird buzzwords or outright just talks shit with little justification.

His TLOP review is one of the worst /mu/core things I've ever seen. He literally just talked shit about the artist and his fans then said "oh yeah the music, it's ok i guess". He points out some things most people are criticizing about the album already then he leaves it at that.

He can go "in-depth" when he actually cares about the thing he's reviewing. Otherwise he does some shallow shit, but people hang on to every of his words because half of them are triggering. And that's not accounting for his fucking weird opinions.

He's just doing his own reviews and opinions and that's fine. But people act as if he is some professional, well-versed, honorable reviewer because he has become a mememan.
>>
>>64731191
hmm, does his 19 minute explanation of his opinion or your two word explanation have more weight at this point?
>>
>>64731213
>His TLOP review is one of the worst /mu/core things I've ever seen. He literally just talked shit about the artist and his fans then said "oh yeah the music, it's ok i guess". He points out some things most people are criticizing about the album already then he leaves it at that.
this. he just pointed out a few bad lines and said nothing about the production. he said "it was a spectacle. and thats okay...to look at". but he didn't talk about the music itself
>>
>>64731213
im sorry but what reviewers go into any detail? p4k and rolling stone reviews are full of stupid references and half-baked comparisons, most of which don't really work well, and supposedly fagtano is the one who's bad at reviewing? not that p4k and rolling stone are the top of the reviewing game, but they are mainstays. At least fanny is careful in his comparisons
>>
>>64731313
I never said other reviewers were better, most "professional" reviewers tend to be utter shit who are either more ignorant than your average Youtube reviewer, paid by the artist, or doing easy work by masturbating the artist's fanbase for easy clicks.
I'm just saying Fantano is not a god or even a great reviewer. Well, sometimes he is, but often he isn't.
>>
>>64730627
>implying BP is accessible in any capacity
Go outside jesus
>>
bp is at best a strong 8, on a good day. i was very underwhelmed but i still listen to it and like it.
>>
>>64731391
BP is accessible as fuck besides the first two and the last track though
Not that it's not different from the norm but it's easy to get into even if you just listen to pop radio crap everyday
>>
Anthony reviews music.
P4k, TMT, etc don't review music. They write thinkpieces about career narratives with a meaningless number attached, used only as an outlet for writers to use the big words they bought in college so they don't feel like they wasted their money.
>>
>>64731672
this sounds accurate to TMT sometimes, but at least they're placing music in a bigger cultural context than "wow this sounds aggressive, but it's danceable! 9/10"
>>
>>64731372
oh, well that i agree with
>>
>>64731703
sometimes "cultural context is good" but the vast majority of music that is reviewed as some sort of testament to modern times is actually just drivel grabbing for cultural references or inattentive music that the author of a review is simply trying to tie to other things for their own sakes, not that im defending theneedledick or anything
>>
Once he gives the album a 9/10 everyone loves it
>>
LATHERED
>>
>>64732024
WUS
>>
>>64732119
REVERB
>>
>>64731017
His peak was late 2013 - 2014. He's still better than when he started tho. 2010 reviews are pretty bad
>>
>>64730925
I like warping
>>
>>64732468
i agree, warping is hype
>>
>>64732468
I, too, like Warping.
>>
>>64732468
>>64732509
>>64732582
Cool guys!! I like warping too! It's just not the best song on the album. Do you understand. Unless you think there is a worse song, which I donut.
>>
>>64731945
Nah. I don't think people are as swayed by him or pitchfork these days.

BP was good, but nothing touches GP or TPTB.
>>
File: Happy Birthday Governor Bush.jpg (171 KB, 1160x629) Image search: [Google]
Happy Birthday Governor Bush.jpg
171 KB, 1160x629
>>64731703
>cultural context
When critics become overly concerned with cultural context, they often document the environment the music was produced inside of rather than the music itself. Their articles become social commentaries and lifestyle advice, and music begins to have only a tangential relationship with their writing (see: Pitchfork's The Pitch). What's more important than music is the public image of the artist and how you as a listener can best harness or reject it as a representation of yourself. Essentially, they're telling the audience nothing about the music but a lot about whether they can consider it cool to like.

Not only is this uninteresting, superficial, and lazy, but it allows for pseuds with no analytic ability to enter music journalism and share their own thoughts on "music" i.e. society, culture, politics, fashion. The already weak reviews become little more than summaries of an artist's Wikipedia article and his most recent tweets, and the music becomes judged on how smoothly it gels with the critic's preferred ideal of the culture it was produced in.

This is more evident in Pitchfork and NPR's music journalism, but I particularly loathe TMT because they don't even feign to be writing analyses of music. TMT produces unstructured and empty creative writing pieces designed to share with the audience what emotions the author experienced while he was listening to the album in question. Like Pitchfork, these reviews tell you nothing about the recording, but this time instead of lifestyle advice, you are given emotional information about the author (who is considered more interesting than the music he listened to).
>>
Bottomless pit is actually my favorite album. It took all the catchy cool shit from money store and has ruggedness of exmilitary and power that B
>>
>>64732695
well i think the emotions associated with any piece of art, auditory or otherwise, are intended by the artist. therefore it must be critiqued what art makes you feel or what the artist was trying to capture with emotion. i think that's a big part of art.

i will agree that it is unwise to make a review more about the critic than the critique. but in general, people that consume a shit ton of art know what to look for.

when most people are unaccustomed to critique, they'll accept what the deem to be good and won't need to look much more. I believe that some critics take it for granted that listeners know what makes things good and therefore they don't need to make drab analyses on form and structure and theory.

Just look at old jazz and rock reviews. those writers not only can't describe why what they're listening to is good, they can't even describe what it made them feel. so i think there's some progress there.
>>
>>64732667
Why do you like GP? I honestly want to know. Not trying to argue. I just really don't see the appeal.
>>
>>64729640
TRAP INFLUENCED CYBERPUNK BANGERS
>>
>cyberpunk bangers

does this faggot browse /r/vaporwave with his autistic 15 year old fanbase now?
>>
>>64731394
>being underwhelmed by a strong 8.

kek
>>
>>64732250
where should i start with fantano? Only just getting into him?

Is chronological best like some suggest?

Looking for a flow chart desu.
>>
>>64734176
kill yo damn self bitch
>>
>Strong 9
he's a fucking hack
this is a shitty money store rehash
>>
>>64734418
got a mega link for his best reviews?

Checked the archive already, no luck.
>>
>LEAST FAVORITE TRACK: RING A BELL

lol what a contrarian cuck
>>
I think it was the Views review where he used the term "flaccid banger".

That's what I decided I've had enough.
>>
>>64733045
It feels the most psychedelic, at least to me. It starts off aggressive and raw, but as the album progresses it slowly becomes more repetitive, loop-oriented. The vocals, which are usually the main element in a DG song, start to fall back. Ride pops in and out in a repetitive, sparse way, almost like he's being sampled and being used like any other sound on the record.

It feels like it goes somewhere I guess. Listening to it from start to finish feels like I'm slowly dissociating, or transitioning into another headspace. Or like DG are slowly deconstructing their sound and rearranging it in a new, strange pattern. It gets me randy bb.
>>
>>64734418
>meming
>>
>>64734471
His Money Store review is pretty classic, but it's part of his more recent stuff. Someone else can probably guide you through his older material.
>>
the third track features this really milky bass, with aggressive rattled hi hats featuring strained focused vocals

there you've heard every fagtano review
>>
>>64731035
wait wtf ring a bell is one of the goat DG songs
>>
>>64734454
but it's objevtively better and more complex than the Money Store
>>
I dunno man, I grew out of Death Grips after NLDW. They seem awfully immature to me.
>>
>>64734982
>objectively
>>
>least favorite: ring a bell

Wtf?
>>
File: 7b43vQ6.jpg (15 KB, 372x563) Image search: [Google]
7b43vQ6.jpg
15 KB, 372x563
Reminder that Fantano actively browses /mu/ and even reviewed an album BY /mu/ once.
>>
what rating did he give it?
>>
>9/10 BP
>So... new Radiohead 10/10 of the year

Screencap this
>>
>>64735267
what was the album?
>>
>>64735410
https://folkofmu.bandcamp.com/album/folk-you-from-me-to-mu

It's the first installment in a trilogy.
Here's the Wiki about it.
http://4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/From_Me_To_Mu
>>
>>64729685
not true at all

more like a decent amount of /mu/tants think he's a good guy appreciate what he does and respect his taste and opinions

you just want to be a unique snowflake
>>
>>64729640
what's the problem here?
>>
>>64729949
why is it so hard to understand that no two people's opinions are going to be exactly alike

he's not "slipping", he's always just stated his opinions on shit. every review, there's a thing in the description that says exactly: "you know this is just my opinion, right?", yet every /mu/ autist thinks he's trying to pander to some crowd on every review. at this point you guys are just blatantly projecting onto him cause he's an easy target. i mean jesus, why the fuck is /mu/ always so god damn braindead retarded? think for your fucking selves people
>>
>>64730034
Trash and Houdini
>>
BP is their best work since GP. I think it's their magnum opus and they shouldn't release anything else now because it will only tarnish the legacy they've built
up for themselves if the next album happens to be shit
>>
>>64735840
people will remember the great albums, not the shit ones

and if you're the type of person to remember the shit ones over the great ones, well then you're the problem, not the band
>>
>>64735074
yeah dude listening to AnCo is what grown ups do
>>
Is Ring a Bell aimed at Mexican Girl?
>>
Just started the album. Holy shit, dude.
>>
File: 39eda6a86311ae2095688b519281cfe8.jpg (286 KB, 1447x2046) Image search: [Google]
39eda6a86311ae2095688b519281cfe8.jpg
286 KB, 1447x2046
>>64729640
I can agree
>likes hothead over ring a bell
eh, thought hothead was the weakest track.
but heavily agree that Spikes and Three Bedrooms in a Good Neighborhood are GOAT
>>
>>64729640
are you implying he's wrong?
he hit the nail on the fucking head with that description
>>
>>64734585
Weird how he only mentioned BB Poison as a low point on the album. He didn't say much negative about Ring a Bell, just kind of described the lyrics.
>>
>>64729949
He is slipping. He let loose and became a bit of a living meme
>>
>>64736411
With 20 minutes for a 13 track album he sure fucking did meander a lot, not talking about the music much
>>
>>64736872
Right. He began talking about how he thought the album was like a sequel to TMS and how it could only work if the band IMPROVED upon the sound of the previous album. He then went on to rave about how great the album was but then ranked it lower than TMS.
>>
>>64737159
improved upon the sounds etc but TMS got a 10 because of how new it sounded etc.. BP may have executed things better but doesn't mean it was as surprising and deserving of a 10.
>>
>>64737544
having said that i do think the way he hyped up every track he should have given a 10
>>
>>64735267
everyone knows this already how new can you fucking be
>>
>>64729888
>doesn't like ring a bell
>>
File: 1418016183670.jpg (287 KB, 825x825) Image search: [Google]
1418016183670.jpg
287 KB, 825x825
*still mostly just bangs to Exmilitary

This new album is bretty gud tho. Fuck GP.
>>
>>64731191
>>64731272
lol
>>
>>64734863
I never thought about it that way, that's actually a very nice analysis. Thanks for sharing!
>>
>>64732667
everything touches GP, BP blows GP out of the water
>>
>>64731394
You must have no fucking clue about what an 8 is
If an 8 underwhelms you, you have inflated the score.
Anything 5 and below is underwhelming, that's the point. Then, as you move up, there should be less and less that you dislike, to the point that you love every part of the album, in which it is a 10.
There should only be a handful of 10s that you listen to or have ever heard.

Look, go make a RYM and see how your distribution is. See if you've ever rated below half, a 1 or a 2.
>inb4 "hurr durr i dont liten to shite music m80"
>>
>>64730067
finally someone with good taste

Drones album had the worst vocals I've ever heard in a rock record, 5/10

Denzel's album was safe as fuck and a colossal step down from N64, 5.5/10
>>
>>64735691
How embarrassing
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTWIC_uBtsE
>>
>>64736010
Why would it be? I thought they got along?
>>
>>64731213
>>64731282

I love how Anthony dislikes Kanye because that makes all the kanyefags mad whenever he puts out a review. I don't even hate Kanye I think he is alright (overhyped but still good) but his fans are some of the most stubborn and blind people out there
>>
>>64732468
yesss i really like the "ALLL I DOO IS LOOSE MY FORM IM WARPING" sicklyrics man
>>
File: dwight.png (386 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
dwight.png
386 KB, 667x670
>>64735691
>>
>>64741058
Pretty sure she's an ex of Andy, which is why she isn't featured in anything new
>>
WHY IS /mu/ OBSESSED WITH HIM?
>>
>>64733213
TRAP FLAVORED D R U M S
>>
>>64741298
because he is one of the most known official figures that comments on the ""obscure"" stuff they like, and not in text form, but in video which is more accessible and so on.
>>
>Least Favorite
>not Giving People Bad Ideas
>>
>ON THIS THING
>>
>>64741298
I think that its because he represents the average voice of /mu/ most of the time, his videos are like hot spots for /mu/tants, and him being successful in something that we would love to do makes us cheer for him.

he also has the enough eloquence and personality to attract normies into the kind of music that is regularly discussed in this board.

we also made him.
>>
>Gave Malibu a 7

I DISAGREE SO HIS OPINIONS ARE SHIIIIIIIIIIT
>>
>>64736010
>>64741058
i thought it was a reference to beyonce lol
>>
>>64731421
>Giving bad people good idea's
>not the most accessible track on the album
I want this meme to end
>>
>>64731421
It's only accessible to you if you've pretty much listened to all their albums and similar artists like death grips or if you like black metal.

If you think this shit is accessible to the average person on the street you're fucking delusional. Shove an earbud in a strangers ear and just play the first track and tell me if they don't pull that shit out in the first 10 seconds.
>>
>>64741604
I could play Three Bedrooms for someone off the street and they'd probably get into it. 50/50 chance.
>>
>>64741622
Confirmed for never leaves house. Sorry mate :,)
>>
>>64729640
When you review tunes it gets tough to say anything after awhile, I was a writer and had to quit after I think 3 years because I realized my writing was turning into formulaic purple prose shit, just like fantoine now. It's hard to describe unless you've been in the field, but I can tell when he's like "ugh... I guess that's an OK description... Maybe. Idk, fuck I have to get this up, who cares anyway"
>>
>>64741622
god damn this board is so fucking gone with what's accessible and what's not
I guarantee that 95% of the people who don't into music very much (probably more) are not going to enjoy that song or this album. It's not avant-garde minimalist prepared piano patrician-tier wank in all its glory, but it's most definitely not easily accessible.
>>
I don't like the first and last tracks, rest is okay
7/10
>>
>>64741289
Oh, I had no idea they went out
I just thought she did vocals on Lord of the game and that was it
>>
>Fantano "overanalyzes" DG music
>haha are you serious? what a pretentious douchebag

>Fantano comments on the visceral aspect of DG music
>haha are you serious what a knob

Get over yourself, he's obviously saying things like that one in the OP to help the review flow better. DG are a very multifaceted project anyway and can be enjoyed on more than 1 level.
>>
File: Yee's Pit.jpg (45 KB, 433x433) Image search: [Google]
Yee's Pit.jpg
45 KB, 433x433
>TOP TIER
Bubbles Buried In This Jungle
Three Bedrooms In A Good Neighborhood
Hot Head
Giving Bad People Good Ideas

>GREAT TIER
Houdini
Eh
BB Poison

>low tier
Ring a Bell
Bottomless Pit
Trash
Spikes
Warping
>>
>>64736010
>>64741289
no, no, no. Mexican Girl was Stefans old girlfriend. Liz is the girl on the bottomless pit cover, and most likely the bands groupie or some shit.

Liz and Mexican girl are not the same person.
>>
>>64742801
Weird taste t b h
>>
Take note /mu/
Death Grips is a rip off of Atari Teenage Riot
>>
>>64730127
trash. only good song is ult
>>
File: 1461101165374.jpg (67 KB, 610x288) Image search: [Google]
1461101165374.jpg
67 KB, 610x288
>>64741622
>this level of delusion
>>
>>64742961
ULT sounds perfectly to me like a mix between yung lean and travis brown. everything besides the verses at least
>>
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>64730011
Lmao no it doesn't. It shows that ultimately he's interested in the money.
>>
>>64742979
>travis brown
literally who the fuck?
>>
>>64743014
he's trash, don't even worry about him. no good songs just the hook is very similar
>>
>>64742961
this guy again.
re-listening to imperial and it's definitely better than i first gave it credit for.
>>
>>64741266
that's not even dwight
>>
>>64741715
>Avant garde minimalist prepared piano
>Not Jazz influenced EAI beats over a post-modernist pop song
Lmao. Daily reminder that DG is just pop
>>
>>64729640
but that's sorta an accurate description. Stop taking music reviews so seriously.
>>
I still don't know how I feel about this album. It's undeniable that the songs on it are solid, it's a consistently good record.

But so far at least it feels like there's no truly memorable songs here. They're all just good.
>>
>>64741604
i played warping for my ghetto black friend and he listened to the whole thing and said it would be cool to hear it live. idk i guess he could have been just being nice.
>>
>>64743839
>black
>nice
>>
>>64731009
Maybe he just really wants to chop some trees down, he wears enough flannels for it
>>
It's pretty interesting bow the star of Twilight is credited as guitarist for birds. I read somewhere that he is a big fan.
>>
>>64735691
>think he's a good guy
Sure, as much as anyone can be given the benefit of the doubt
>appreciate what he does
lmao
>respect his taste and opinions
ayy lmao
>>
>>64735691
bad look, anthony
>>
>>64730117
You clearly haven't listened to a lot of music then
>>
>>64744120
It's really strange how many celebrities are fans of Death Grips. They also got mentioned in some interview for a Hollywood Movie, can't remember which
>>
>>64729739
Is that the level we're at now?
>>
>>64735267
He used to have a tripcode here year ago. How new can you be?
>>
k whatever fuk this melon, please give me some mega link to bottomless pit
>>
>>64742801
Best list.
>>
I never listened to any kind of rap and always considered it to be meme music that white people only pretends to like because that's a "progressive" thing to do, I do like some black people music and love free jazz.

Should I listen to death grips?
>>
>>64739749
Naaah man, it's not as good as Fantano said, but Taman Shud and Boredom are 10/10 tracks. Denzel Curry is just nigga cloud rap and I did not listen to N64
>>
>>64742801
Ring A Bell has my favorite hook on the album tho
>>
>>64741715
You seem pretty out of touch with what's accessible. Three bedrooms is literally a fucking lil jon song
Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.