[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Harmony of minor scales
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: c-minor-scale-on-treble-clef.png (10 KB, 578x179) Image search: [Google]
c-minor-scale-on-treble-clef.png
10 KB, 578x179
hi /mu/, I dont really know if this is the right place to ask, but let's try. I have been reading a music theory book for a couple of week and I have undestood pretty much everything, but today I came to a blind spot: harmony of minor scales. The book doesn't say much about it and neither does the internet, so I ask you: Is there any difference in the harmony of the several kinds of minor scales?, you know, natural, harmonic melodic and so on. Thank, also, general theory I think
>>
Jeez. I might embarrass myself if I try to help, but nevertheless.

I think what you have there is the natural minor scale, as in: it's exactly the same as E flat's major key.
The harmonic minor scale is exactly the same except for the last note, which is a B instead of a B flat. If you play it on the piano, you hear that it kind of 'solves' more beautifully when playing the scale.
The melodic minor scale (in this case for C) has an A and a B going UP, but follows the natural minor scale (so A flat and B flat again) when going down.

Hope this helped.
>>
In general, VI chords are common in minor keys. V chords are ubiquitous and v chords are rare. VII chords to my knowledge are rare unless they're used as a dominant to III.

You really don't see the melodic minor scale unless it's, well, in the melody.
>>
>>64670443
Natural minor = 1 2 3b 4 5 6b 7b
Harmonic minor = 1 2 3b 4 5 6b 7
Melodic Minor = 1 2 3b 4 5 6 7 but only when ascending, descends as natural minor. For some reason...
>>
That's a good question.

The thing I found is that major harmony translates very well into minor harmony, with some alterations.

For example, a nice 4-5-1 in major is pretty standard dominant function stuff. However, you can keep the 4-5 harmony, but replace the 1 chord with the 6.

In minor that would simply be a 6-7-1 progression. Works exactly like he dominant function, but with a minor resolution.

Overall, I haven't studied harmony in forever. But you'll find that major progressions translate pretty easily.
>>
If you build triads in thirds on every note in the scale you'll get the diatonic chords for the natural (or relative) minor scale. Ex. Eb and G above C (C minor triad), F and Ab above D (D diminished triad) etc. The harmony in Roman numerals will look like: i, iio, III, iv, v, VI, VII. Harmonic and melodic minor keys have different diatonic chords than natural minor. Harmonic Minor has a raised 7th scale degree (the seventh note of the scale, in this case Bb to B natural) giving the scale a leading tone. Melodic minor raises the 6th and 7th scale degrees (the sixth and seventh notes of the scale, in this case Ab to A natural and Bb to B natural) when ascending giving it a raised submediant and a leading tone. The melodic minor is played as a natural minor scale when descending. Write out the harmonic and melodic minor scales for C and find out what the diatonic chords are for yourself as practice.
>>
>>64670885
give me the goddamn reason or i will backtrace you and consequences will never be the same
>>
>>64670443

There is one main difference that you should pay attention to.
In natural minor, I is minor, IV is minor and V is minor
In harmonic minor, I is minor, IV is minor, but V is major, as the seventh is ascended
For example, in C minor, your V turns from G minor to G major, as Bb turns to B.
This increases the tension-release aspect of the V-I cadence, which is pretty lame in the natural minor scale.
In the melodic minor scale, the sixth is ascended (in C minor, Ab goes to A), so now, the IV is also major, from F minor to F major.

In case it isnt clear, i'll show you another example, now in A minor:
I - IV - V - I
Natural minor: Am - Dm - Em - Am
Harmonic minor: Am - Dm - E - Am
Melodic minor: Am - D - E - Am

Naturally, this changes other chords in the scale, but that's another chapter.
>>
File: 1371142786845.png (161 KB, 678x545) Image search: [Google]
1371142786845.png
161 KB, 678x545
>>64671392
It has to do with religion. The melodic minor was created to avoid the tone-and-a-half step between the sixth and seventh, with was considered an "arabic" (hence, heretic) interval.
They wanted to keep the major tension from the seventh to the first; so the harmonic was created.
But "ascending" to God needed no devilish or heretic intervals, so the melodic is used.
Although "descending" from God to man needed this not, so the natural minor could be used.

Bach created his own minor scale; which is the melodic minor both ascending and descending.
>>
>>64670830
this poster is wrong
>>64670748
this poster is right
>>64670885
sometimes melodic minor descends with the natural 6 and 7, this is sometimes called jazz minor or jazz melodic minor

If by harmony you mean chords that go on each root, here you go:

natural minor:
i-7 ii-7b5 bIIImaj7 iv-7 v-7 bVImaj7 bVII7

harmonic:
i-maj7 ii-7b5 bIIIaug7 iv-7 V7 bVImaj7 viidim7

melodic:
i-maj7 ii-7 bIIIaug7 IV7 V7 VI-7b5 vii-7b5
>>
>>64671692
superdope. love that shit.
>>
>>64671692
Yeah, the third mode sounds super eastern.
>>
>>64672248
we third mode now senpai
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.