[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is TKOL so hated? It's a great album on it's own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Radiohead-TKOL.jpg (140 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
Radiohead-TKOL.jpg
140 KB, 560x560
Why is TKOL so hated? It's a great album on it's own just as In Rainbows, HTTT, Amnesiac, OKC.

>Bloom
>Morning Mr. Magpie
>Little By Little
>Lotus Flower
>Codex
>Seperator

I can not understand how someone who doesn't hate Radiohead or see them as a meme can hate these songs.
>>
>>64599195
Morning mr magpie and little by little are just dull and have cheezy kettle drums

Blooms repetive drum beat was kinda moronic and a lot of the tracks abruptly and lamely went back into a third verse from a good bridge

best radiohead songs often have a verse chorus, verse chorus bridge end structure
3 verses was lame and didnt let the songs breath very well

nice atmosphere on codex, separator and give up the ghost though
>>
The endless looping got tedious, it wasn't produced particularly well. Morning Mr. Magpie is horrifically jarring and an unpleasant listening experience, Little by Little is a professional piss take.

Bloom is a masterpiece and it definitely carried the album, but the whole album fell flat at the feet of In Rainbows.

Burn the Witch on the other hand is a masterpiece and the first thing I've heard from them that rivals In Rainbows.

The best songs from the TKOL period were Bloom, Feral and The Butcher. Everything else is mediocre.
>>
TKOL live > studio
>>
File: mu_logo.png (5 KB, 142x108) Image search: [Google]
mu_logo.png
5 KB, 142x108
overly long, little of interest,

self indulgent

Radiohead have pulled of a trick where they go "biblee biblee bilee biblee"
"the printer has got a jam "
"chu chu chu chuk chuck "

for 8 years
>>
File: download (2).jpg (36 KB, 450x325) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
36 KB, 450x325
the problem is they don't rely on an audience anymore

but the media see them as very fashibnable , so they get loads of press and atention

the m,usic stops matering, do anything

"zzzzz gu gugug gug guz zz z z"
"aaa iieee ooo aiiiee ooo mobile phone bill aiieooe eoeoeoeo"
>>
>>64599195
It's a decent album for Radiohead, but it's where people really started to realize there's no real difference between Radiohead and Coldplay. The new single proves this beyond a doubt.
>>
>>64599236
>>64599254
Morning Mr Magpie is my favorite Radiohead song I didn't realize the disdain for it
>>
>>64599195
Bloom is one of the best songs ever made by the band, definitely in their top 10 best songs. Rest of the album is very average mediocre "experimental" electronic Radiohead-by-the-numbers type of material. Nothing bad by any means, but nothing that really sticks out as being better than just "good". I find it somewhat boring.
>>
>>64599195
I like it but i think it lacks of emotion and weirdly i find it very forgettable. I enjoy it but i always forget what it sounds like if i don't come back to it regularly
>>
HTTT was my first Radiohead album. To me that album is the Radiohead sound and they put everything they had into it. I'd never heard anything like it. All the albums before it were great except their first one. The Bends is very 90s. In rainbows was alright but you could hear them starting to lose their passion. TKoL was OK but it's like they went into the studio with songs they hadn't quite polished yet and just recorded them in rush to get them out of their system. Thom's stuff is a bunch of bleep bloops with the occasional good song though i did like his first one.
>>
>>64599688
kek

I like Radiohead and TKOL is decent I guess but this is quite true.
>>
>>64599195
Radiohead fans aren't divided by whether they prefer their guitar-based or their electronic music, but by whether they prefer their rhythmically-lead music or their more melodic stuff. To me, 15 Step, Lotus Flower, and Reckoner will always be the best Radiohead songs precisely because they place so much emphasis on their rhythmic elements. It's also why TKOL is my 2nd or 3rd favorite Radiohead album.
>>
>>64599195
TKOL isn't hated, it's just not loved as much as the other albums, and part of that in my opinion is that it sounds very dehumanized with all its repetetive beats, insane focus on just percussion etc.

In the past Radiohead always pulled it off to somehow make their electronic/rock hybrid music sound very human, but on King Of Limbs i don't hear that at all
>>
Amnesiac > The King of Limbs > Kid A > In Rainbows > OK Computer > The Bends > Hail to the Thief > Pablo, Honey
>>
When TKOL was released i immediately bought it without listening. Those first two times i listened to it, i didn't enjoy it at all, but then with time it really grew on me. I enjoyed it, but i didn't think it was anything special.
Last year i was listening to the whole radiohead discography because i haven't listened to most of their album in years. When i listened to TKOL after 3 or 4 years of not listening to it, i really enjoyed it. I like it even better than In Rainbows, Hail To The Thief and The Bends atm.
TKOL is very consistent, the album flows just perfectly. I love every track on it, but morning mr magpie and codex are my favorites.
>>
>>64601975
nice ranking, although I disagree in some places.

Kid A > TKOL > Amnesiac > HTTT > In Rainbows > OK Computer > The Bends > Pablo
>>
>>64599236
>best radiohead songs often have a verse chorus, verse chorus bridge end structure
completely fucking wrong
>>64599254
>but the whole album fell flat at the feet of In Rainbows.
pleb as fuck, In Rainbows had nothing musically interesting on it.
>>64599688
>overly long, little of interest,
37 minutes long
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.