[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did you first realize that your taste in music stopped lining
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: 1459741523851.jpg (192 KB, 697x517) Image search: [Google]
1459741523851.jpg
192 KB, 697x517
When did you first realize that your taste in music stopped lining up with what was considered "normal"?
>>
>>64571861
the first time I listened to 21 pilots. It was that time I realized I'm not like you normies
>>
my taste is normal though
>>
Where I live, my taste is ''normal''.
>>
>>64571939
Metal in a nordic country?
>>
>>64571949
nah, one of my favourite labels is homegrown
>>
>>64571929
it's probably not
>>
>>64571861
When I began to understand that my friends weren't interested in much of anything that I listen to.

I think I was 21 when that thought occurred to me.
>>
>taste is too normie for /mu/
>too weird for everyday life
>>
>>64571861
As soon as I developed a taste in music, tbqh
>>
normal people scare me
>>
during my first years of college when I lived with very good friends. I'd show them a lots of bands but they wouldnt care enough to check them out on their own. then I reached a point where I could no longer talk to music with anyone because no one knew what I was talking about. then I started lurking here and I just completely stopped talking about music because of fear of looking like a sperg.

at first I was sad because music was what made me close to my friends in high school and it changed to not talking about music at all. but as time has passed I have assimilated that music is something very personal and that I shouldn't be expecting everyone close to me to like music as much as I do. however, I know some people who are into music and often ask me for recommendations because they say that I know a lot about music and that I have good taste, so thats really cool.
>>
Is this special snowflake circlejerk general?
>>
When I started listening to more than just Power Metal and Nu-Metal.
>>
inb4 pink floyds and led zeppelins
>>
>>64571861
I basically listened to 100% normie shit until Skrillex popularized dubstep through his broshit stuff. I kind of dug that, but I wanted it noisier and harsher and I fell straight into Noise.
>>
Last year's NBBMN.
>>
>>64571929
Lurk moar.
>>
When /mu/ stopped making fun of me.
>>
>>64571861
I'm at a liberal arts college and my taste lines up with a fair amount of people
>>
>>64572262
>people in everyday life are interested in my taste
>people in /mu/ call me a tryhard
Who would have thought /mu/ was filled with plebs?
>>
I'm unemployed with a worthless degree and my tastes line up with a fair amount of liberal arts students
>>
>>64571861
i never thought it did i was just too antisocial to realize that it was the same shitty music all the other "alt" middle schoolers listened too. but probably sometime in sophomore year is when i actually did start listening to different music than the normies
>>
I think i was 11.
>>
>>64571904
hehe
>>
>>64573057
through skrillex to noise
holy kek
>>
When people at school started calling me fag.
>>
>>64571861
when I tried to explain what Death Grips is. I have never felt so ashamed.
>>
>>64571861
When I was called a "satanist" for listening Iron Maiden.
>>
File: 223817.jpg (28 KB, 225x306) Image search: [Google]
223817.jpg
28 KB, 225x306
When I started to pick up that when /mu/ or any board declares something the anti-christ, that I' probably gonna like it or that artist/person. Not out of contrarianism, but because I know like 3/4ths of you are like practically the same type of dude and I'm a totally different type of person with basically opposite tastes from the typical anon.

[spoiler]I enjoyed G.L.O.S.S.'s demo. No regrets. Fuck you! [/spoiler]
>>
Whenever, as a straight male, Marina and the Diamonds unironically became my favorite artist.

That was the single defining moment for me, but I always knew it was getting weird when I started loving the fuck out of a lot of ambient music, vaporwave and future funk.
>>
File: image.png (36 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
image.png
36 KB, 125x125
>>64571939
Here here. Well at least at my school. It made me realise that just because someone has the same taste as you, doesn't mean you two are bound to get a long. Taste is just not a fundamental part of you.
>>
my taste is super normal
the weirdest thing i like is the noisy anco stuff or merzbird
>>
When i realized that Yeezus was mu favorite Ye album
>>
If I lived in England or America my taste would be considered somewhat normal. But in Aus if you don't listen to the top 40 or some liberal arts students "bangers" on Triple J, you're a weirdo.
>>
>>64576147
B-but you guys have Tame Impala and Silverchair
>>
>>64576177
The last good Silverchair album came out in '99. I do like Tame Impala, but if you openly talk about liking them, you associate yourself with the diehard Triple J wankers.
"Oh you like this good band? Then you must LOOOVE Courtney Barnett, [Insert shitty "low-fi banger"], AND [Insert list of 18 year olds from Triple J Unearthed]"
>>
>>64576289
True. Could be worse though. Could be from New Zealand.
>baby aroo
>>
>>64576312
I don't know man, 'Flume' dropped the November before my senior year and was the most popular shit for almost 2 years. Every party was just that album on loop, occasionally some white girl putting on Stronger because "I luv dis soooong!". In spite of fully believing the 'Kanye is shit' meme they heard from the radio and their 50 year old, middle class white mum.
>>
idk everyone where I live is just now discovering animal collective and vampire weekend, thanks to spotify and pandora

can't say my taste is weird it's just I've ran my course with those artist 4-5 years ago while in hs and now my taste in college is what old people listen too
>>
Well I was raised on Brazilian music and jazz
so I don't think there was ever a time when I
was "normal" compared to my peers. However,
when I was 11 years old and all my friends were
barely starting to figure out that there was more
music than what the top 40 and their parents had
shown them (so basically, they were circle-jerking
American Idiot at the time) when my brother and
his friend bestowed a laptop unto me that came pre-loaded with everything from like essential
dadrock I hadn't heard - Bowie, Dylan, Kinks,
Floyd, CSNY, Cream, King Crimson, Yes - to 60s
Garage-psych, to Joy Division, to MBV and the
Creation Records stuff, to more present day shit
like AnCo, Arcade Fire, BSS, Flaming Lips, NMH,
of Montreal, idr who else (this was 12 years ago).

Granted, it took a year or two for my best bud and
I to get through all that shit, but we felt elevated
compared to the rest of our shitty preppy middle
school.

Also, the reason I didn't know most of the dadrock
bands is because my parents are both Brazilian,
and my dad is old (born in the 1941) and hates
rock music due to being a bona fide jazz man
since the 50s.
>>
when glass broke
>>
>not being a tastemaker among your friends
faggots the lot of you
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 236x281) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 236x281
One time I had a cutie normie boy over at my house, and I decided to play World's End Girlfriend cause I'm a sperg. He was cool with it but I could tell he was weirded out. He stopped making out with me to ask me what the hell we were listening to.
Feels bad man.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.