[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Out of every band I've been in the drummers are always spastic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: fuk.jpg (23 KB, 540x300) Image search: [Google]
fuk.jpg
23 KB, 540x300
Out of every band I've been in the drummers are always spastic and annoying, are all drummers like that? Does /mu/ have any personal annoying drummer stories?
>>
Drummers always have the worst songwriting ideas. It's best just for everybody to smile and nod politely when they propose an idea, and then continue like it didn't happen.
>>
Percussionists > drummers desu
>>
>>64570596
I'm a drummer (haven't played in many years). And when I was younger, I was in a relatively successful band, and I managed to get us kicked out of 2 rehearsal studios, and permanently banned from a couple of clubs.
>inb4 edgy

Feels good

Oh, and by the way, there were 6 members (guitar, bass, vocals, 2 nerds on synths and laptops), and I was one of 2 main songwriters... so fuck you.
>>
>>64570669
>>64570790
>drummers
>songwriters

drummers are an integral part of any band, but if you're trying to be the songwriter, you're doing it wrong
>>
Drummers are spastics, just like how guitarists are autists and vocalists are narcissists.
>>
File: 1369698162515.jpg (25 KB, 596x516) Image search: [Google]
1369698162515.jpg
25 KB, 596x516
>>64570669
>>64570843
>>
>>64570843
>if you're trying to be the songwriter
I wasn't TRYING to do anything, it's just the way it worked out. I also play the guitar (like everyone else) and would compose some of the baseline tracks on a laptop. It was sort of a Massive Attack vibe (this was 14 years ago), and so it was "anything goes" as far as songwriting.

And I guarantee I have more experience than any person who has ever visited this shitty board.
>muh elitist

>>64570849
What do you expect? We're all initially attracted to the fact that we can pound on shit repeatedly and not be locked up in a mental institution.
>>
I play drums and I'm pretty autistic
I dont move or say anything, like, ever

Most of the other drmmers at school are desu annoying famalam
>>
>>64570596
Drummers are shit.

>Put ad on craigslist for Punk/Alt/Indie band, I play guitar and sing
>Dude answers
>Used to be in a bunch of metal bands
>He's pretty good, but our jam was only alright
>Jam maybe once more
>Find a guitarist
>Set up a jam sesh with him and the drummer
>The drummer bails on me last minute, says he doesn't think it's what he's looking for despite us getting a new guitarist
>Me and guitarist jam for a few weeks and we work pretty well together
>Put up another ad, saying it's a few of us looking for a drummer
>Drummer #2 answers finally
>He comes through
>Guitarist doesn't answer phone and me and the drummer just jam together
>It goes /reeeeeeallllllyyyy/ fucking well, he tells me how he studied music in Japan and shit
>He says it's not what he's looking for, and I'm pretty sure he just thought I was lying about having other members
>Guitarist couldn't come because he got caught up at work
>Me and guitarist jam again once more
>He stops answering

Drummers are shit.
>>
>tfw play drums
>tfw guitarist friend always is asking me for input on song structure and ideas
>tfw just smile and say "uh, yeah...sure man. That sounds good" (fuck he's so much better than me)
>tfw just want to be better and groove, that's all
>>
>>64570596
i dont like trying to be in a band for this reason
its usually the singer or drummer whos a huge dick
>>
>>64570967
Name your band or stop typing.
>>
Not really getting the hate. Maybe I just got lucky with my drummer. He's extremely tasteful in what he plays, comes up with decent ideas for chord progressions (he can play keys relatively well) and is all around a decent guy.

Whatever.
>>
>>64571310
>>
>>64570790
are you the rentals
>>
>>64571238
>looking for musicians on Craigslist
You only have yourself to blame
>>
>>64571395
>Massive Attack vibe
>The Rentals
No. Anyway, you probably wouldn't have heard of us, but I'm not risking it.

We were from from Pittsburgh and used to play shows with Black Moth Super Rainbow, but that's all I'm saying.
>>
What about Neil Peart
>>
>>64571423
Where's a good place?
>>
>>64570669
>>64570843
Man you guys just played with crappy drummers probably. Some of the drummers I played with were the most creative members of the band (including me). IMO the drummer is the most important member of the band. No single musician can break the music or make it happen like the drummer does. The shit they do is so important. And as for their personality, most of them are pretty cool.
>>
>>64570596
spastic is a good thing, so long as the music isn't supposed to be something that isn't spastic
>>
>>64571548
I've always found it easiest to just meet people at gigs, especially lif you live somewhere that has a good local scene. In my experience most people you find on sites like Craigslist are shitty amateurs that just happen to own an instrument or time wasters.
>>
ITT: salty guitarists annoyed that their instrument is taking a sideline in modern music while the drums are becoming even more relevant than they already were
>>
>>64571591
being good is fucking nuts

everybody wants to jam because guitarists are a dime a dozen

its bullshit I had to learn guitar to be considered a songwriter. If the song depends on your ability and it was written around it, you should get credit. Stewart Copeland was The Police sound. Not all drumming is songwriting, but sometimes it is.
>>
Daily reminder: Everyone. Plays. Guitar.
>>
>>64571457
BMSR didn't really play shows here. If you were a drummer in Pittsburgh the last 15 years and kicked out of ABC Storage or some shit, I probably know you.
>>
we also are all fucking spazzes, thats why we announce our ability like faggots

drums is a cutthroat business. If a band finds another guy who's better they'll drop you quick because you don't have any stake in the songwriting. If you drum you MUST learn to write so you can protect yo job
>>
>>64571885
>you must learn to write
Or you could spend that time practicing so you don't get ousted for being shit
>>
>>64571764
I think when a drummer is really good he just naturaly defines the sound of the music. Look at Led Zeppelin, take out John Bonham and replace him with someone else, they lose like 50% of their power right on the spot. Songs like Babe I'm Gonna Leave would have been so much less powerful. Even if it was some good like Keith Moon playing. Bonham just made that band happen. Take a look at Ringo, that even though he's not the best drummer, he's probably the main reason for The Beatles' chidlish vibe. And how about Pet Sounds? the album has such unique drumming that really makes everything come together. Can you imagine it with a steady drummer playing steady groove? It would lose so much. Or Velvet Underground? once again, not the best drummer but her minimalistic and inexperience playing made is what made the music so dark. Now it's not really true for all genres, for Funk for example all he drummer needs to be is a sick groove machine. In James Browns' music for example it's all about holding a groove which doing correctly is also really tough. Or D'Angelo, without the drummer playing so groovie and laid back and hitting that rimshot, the music just wouldn't have happened. Another interesting lookout on drums is Jazz. I think the best example is Tony Williams, who in Miles' 2nd quintet, just everything revolved around him. You replace him you really lose the music and make it something completely different. Don't know if I really got my point across since I suck at writing but my point is really that there's nothing more important than a drummer that knows what he's doing.
>>
>>64571820
>didn't really play shows here
Yes they did. Maybe not often, but they did.

>ABC storage
Nope; however, everyone in the Pittsburgh music scene seemed to know each other back then, so if you were part of it, chances are our paths crossed at some point.
>>
>>64571943
nah you're right anon
the drummer defines the sound, the bassist defines the groove

and the vocalist is a little bitch
>>
I will take a pro drummer over a pro bassist anyday
>>
File: 1451510769377.jpg (20 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1451510769377.jpg
20 KB, 396x385
>playing with obnoxious gay drummers
>when drum machines exist
dumb
>>
>>64571310
hes too scared to lol
>>
>>64571986
I'm a bassist and I agree with this. Sometimes though it's evens out, like in session recordings, you really want a good bassist that knows his job and has a thick sound aswell as groove. Motown records without James Jamerson would've been not as good without a doubt.
>>
>>64572016
>not playing with a good drummer and a drum machine
>>
File: LinnDrum2007[1].jpg (329 KB, 800x435) Image search: [Google]
LinnDrum2007[1].jpg
329 KB, 800x435
Best drummer
>>
>>64572016
I'm a drummer and I kind of agree with this
>>
File: le manny.jpg (8 KB, 99x145) Image search: [Google]
le manny.jpg
8 KB, 99x145
>>64571984
Probably.
>>
>>64572094
Lol. Jesus Christ, I fuckin hated that guy. I don't think I ever met anyone who actually liked him.
>>
The only drummer I know has ADD and is constantly tapping things.
>>
>>64572016
>>64572042
Tell me about the totally natural sound of drum machines.
>>
>>64572113
So, what was your band called anon? We're all curious now.
>>
>>64572145
Sorry, anon, I'd prefer to keep my presence on 4chan a total secret lol.

There are a lot of people who probably think I'm dead, and I'd prefer to keep it that way.
>>
>>64572145
Also, I wanted to add that on the off chance that YOU are Manny, I didn't know you well at all, and I sincerely apologize lol

I wouldn't want the only exchange I've had with a fellow yinzer on /mu/ to be one where I made the other feel like shit.
>>
>>64572122
Who wants natural?
We're looking to the future!
>>
>>64572145
It doesn't matter. I'm the other guy he's talking to. Pittsburgh has always been a black hole for music. The bands that are good enough, they leave as quick as possible so that they may shine brightly elsewhere. Otherwise the local scene will leave so jaded that all you crave is a quick, quiet death.

>>64572280
Oh no, I'm not that asshole lol. Nice talking to you though. I've talked to some other yinzers on /sp/ before, too.
>>
>>64572326
>talked with some yinzers on /sp/
Oh, so have I. Shocking, right?

Nice talking with you as well
>>
>>64572280
I'm not the dude you've been talking to, I was just interested in your band.

>>64572326
Sounds horrible. I'm glad my scene isn't like that.
>>
>>64571803
yep thanks thom yorke
>>
>>64570596
No. My drummer was an introvert, virgin and probably autistic. Best friends tho.
>>
>>64570596
is that filthy frank???
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9DhCitL4-V4

Vid-related is me.

Come at me
>>
>>64574008
>two hi-hats and a chopper
what the fuck are you doing?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.