[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Smashing Pumpkins any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 11
Is Smashing Pumpkins any good?
>>
>>64559896
yes, their first 3 releases are possibly the best 3 album stretch of any band. At least of the 90's
>>
>>64559896
listen to the original 1995 vinyl tracklisting of mellon collie; it's GOAT
>>
>>64559896
yeah they are. Mostly up to Adore they were good. After that kinda meh. They have a huge catalog of B-sides and some of those are really good too (Set the Ray to Jerry, The Aeroplane flies high)
>>
Yes, Siamese Dream is their most compact and accessible album.
>>
>>64559975
Nah.
>>
2 pretty good albums, 2 amazing albums, and a bunch of mediocre fluff.
>>
>>64559975
Yeah I think it's a lot better than the CD's track order. Things like Iha singing "Here comes the sun here it comes" to end the Dawn side. Then We Only Come Out at Night ends and the Midnight side begins. It makes a whole lotta sense
>>
The Smashing Pumpkins are the greatest band of the 90's. There aren't countless SP clones. That's because there aren't a whole lot of geniuses like William Patrick Corgan. They consistently went against the grain, and changed their sound every album. Gish, SD and MCIS are the best. Adore is a cult classic, personally I'm still offended by it's lack of balls but I respect the band for doing what they wanted instead of making Mellon Collie again. Machina is actually really good if a bit obtuse. After they broke up and reformed w new members, nothing else has been as good but honestly how many bands continue doing great shit
>>
>>64560007
Also Pennies
>>
all-time favorite band. easily best band from the 90's.
>>
>>64560072
>>64559975
100 times this
>>
>>64560295
Pavement/Unwound was better than SP
>>
>>64559975
Unfortunately there's two songs that are vinyl exclusive and hard to come by.
>>
Yeah, they're great. Listen to Siamese Dream.
>>
>>64561694
https://mega.nz/#F!EcknWLTZ!EX5-lZsKqLc2bZ0oJrgEMg this is a full PBTHAL vinyl rip. You can get everything or just the 2 missing tracks—they're "Tonite Reprise" and "Infinite Sadness".

Also, one is a reprise of "Tonight, Tonight" with the same lyrics, only played on acoustic; the other is an instrumental outro which works like an extra, but really you can end the album without it—it feels more like a credits song, and Farewell and Goodbye is a perfect finisher, ending with a piano passage.

See old thread for more info: >>64536645
>>
>>64562126
thank you for this xo
>>
early smashing pumpkins were pretty good, after that Billy Corgan just turned into an even bigger cunt and got all edgy
>>
>>64562126
Question, this is kind of arbitrary, but it's important to me. Was the original vinyl version not released until 1996, and only in Europe? Discogs lists 46 versions of this album, and they're usually pretty accurate about their info. The earliest release I could find for a vinyl release was this one https://www.discogs.com/Smashing-Pumpkins-Mellon-Collie-And-The-Infinite-Sadness/release/788491

and this was a whole year later after the original cd's and cassettes were released. So was the intended track listing not even released until a year after the popular version sank in?
>>
File: Laughing redcoat.png (402 KB, 807x547) Image search: [Google]
Laughing redcoat.png
402 KB, 807x547
>>64559896
You decide my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU15DxJvF7Q
>>
>>64559896
I used to love them, literally favourite band, but i found when i started to cheer up (i was very very depressed for about 3 years) that i couldnt relate anymore, i still love them but some of there more sappy songs arent as forgiveable as they once were
>>
>>64559896

Siamese Dream makes them worth checking out. Their other albums, not so much.
>>
>>64563081
>when I started to cheer up
Sounds like you needed to start listening to Zwan senpai
>>
>>64563115
i think ill do that right now familia
>>
>>64563142
yo was good jermaine!
>>
>>64563045

Machina-era Pumpkins is so fucking gross.
>>
>>64563045
lmao
>>
>>64563030
I think you're right. I had no idea. Checked Discogs, What.CD and the rip I have—only Europe/UK had original vinyl, and only in 1996.

This is completely unexplainable to me. Basically, 99,9% of listeners heard a shuffled version of Mellon Collie which made no sense. And yet barely anyone talks about it.
>>
>>64563580
how the fuck did you get into What? I've been using exclusively soulseek, the archive, rutracker, and piratebay ever since mediafire became obsolete. Does it really have any advantages over those mediums? Because there's actually one specific album I'm looking for, and I might have to youtube rip it or buy it
>>
>>64564470
Ummm… I simply went to their IRC channel and passed the interview? https://www.whatinterviewprep.com. You learn the theory (I mean REALLY learn it), answer their 3 questions on music encoding, and voila—you passed. I failed 2 times but passed on the last try.

But don't get too excited. What.cd has the most fucked up system you've ever seen, I promise you. They have strict ratio requirements. You might say it's not a problem, and it would be true, except THEIR TORRENTS DON'T FUCKING SEED AT ALL. Why? Because you need really high speeds to actually get leechers—i.e., get a seedbox or super-duper-high-speed connection. I'm not kidding, consider yourself lucky if you have 10kb/s upload for 10 minutes.

Thankfully, you have 5GB of "free" downloads before the ratio watch begins. But after that, expect problems.
>>
poseur shite
>>
they were a great band in the 90s that had their reputation tarnished by billy "fucking asshole" corgan
>>
>>64559896
Yep.

Fucking siamese dream.

If it weren't for Nirvana they'd be the best grunge band.

>personally I prefer SP. I just love those guitars and Billy's voice.
>>
>>64563183
machina era wasn't so bad, at least compared to what was to come....

if billy scrapped the "concept," kept it to a single album and removed the shit "everything drenched in distortion... except my vocals!!!" it couold have been a good album
>>
>>64560295
>The Smashing Pumpkins are the greatest band of the 90's. There aren't countless SP clones. That's because there aren't a whole lot of geniuses like William Patrick Corgan.
You forgot Kevin Shields, Thom Yorke, Stone Roses.
>>
>>64565028
They'd be the best grunge band that wasn't actually grunge, that's for sure.
>>
>>64565081
>They'd be the best grunge band that wasn't actually grunge, that's for sure.
It's definitely got that grunge vibe to it though.

It's mainly something other than grunge though I'll agree.
>>
my favorite band. Definitely listen to them but dont let anyone color your opinion on their stuff. Honestly all their shit is good minus zeitgeist. But even that has several gems on it.
>>
>>64565211
Zeitgeist and Monuments are fucking terrible.

Oceania was okay though.
>>
>>64559896
yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf98kqzAEHw
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 500x665) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 500x665
All you need from them is Siamese Dream, their greatest hits, and oceana and boom you have everything worthwhile to listen to.

Not even joking
>>
File: 1458522473597.jpg (39 KB, 336x265) Image search: [Google]
1458522473597.jpg
39 KB, 336x265
>>64565633
>forgetting Gish, Pisces Iscariot, and most of Mellon Collie
>>
>>64565724
Mediocre.

The greatest hits has everything good from those ones
>>
>>64565028
>>64565079
Who cares who was the best, really? It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Nirvana had the catchy tunes, brought great underground stuff like Pixies and Wipers to mainstream and were the reason "punk broke". The true value of Nirvana is, of course, in Cobain's personality.

Smashing Pumpkins, on the other hand, had the proficiency and the solos. They had the best guitar duo of the '90s, and the most powerful drummer in alt rock. They were much closer to traditional rock bands, while of course bringing in lots of new stuff like alt-country. While glam metal rehashed 50s rock'n'roll to death, Pumpkins took the energy of punk/thrash and the best of metal, crossing it with a wide range of influences from psychedelia to the Cure.

I'd describe SP as the prog rock for the '90s generation. That's why they're vastly different from Nirvana (essentially heavier punk), Stone Roses (psychedelia/jangle-pop/alternative), and Radiohead (alternative pop-rock).
>>
File: billy cormtrails.png (485 KB, 609x553) Image search: [Google]
billy cormtrails.png
485 KB, 609x553
lead singer's a nut and their albums have a lot of filler, but occasionally they strike gold like 'tonight tonight' and 'disarm'
>>
>>64565633
>All you need from them is
>oceana
>>
>>64565854
>It's only good if I hear it on the radio
>>
>>64565774
good post anon
>>
>>64565633
>>64565724

Listen to Mellon Collie with original vinyl track list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellon_Collie_and_the_Infinite_Sadness#Original_vinyl_version

It will suddenly start making a whole lot of sense
>>
>>64565915
i was two and zero years old, respectively, when those songs came out so not really
>>
>>64565854
Gish - Adore are great, but yes... Billy is a nutter and asshole.

>dated Tila "Holacaust didn't happen, Hitler is misunderstood" Tequila
>believes in chemtrails
>believes in a "cultural marxist" conspiracy (inb4 /pol/)
>thinks the CIA are trying to "ruin" his career
>ends up calling EVERY ex bandmember an asshole (james, d'arcy, jimmy, pajo, sweeny, byrnes)
>the time he said he would break a transwoman's legs if she ever mentioned that he made out with her
>the transphobic tirade against his pedal maker
>that whole deerhunter thing

immature shit like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nLwRerd8II
>>
>>64565258
Oceania may have been the most boring album I've ever listened to in my life...Still think they are one of the greatest bands of all time though.
>>
>>64564957
oh alright ive heard of ratio problems like that before. But is it worth it? between Soulseek and rutracker alone, there are so many albums and even bootlegs, I'm really just wondering if it's even worth it going through the interview
>>
>>64566360
I'm Russian so I used to torrent the shit out of rutracker. The speeds were amazing too.

As for your question. Depends entirely on what you're listening to. First of all, if you need FLAC, especially 24-bit, you'd better steer clear from what.cd, for the ratio reasons (unless you have a seedbox).

Second, if you just need popular stuff, again there's no point to get it on what.cd at all.

Now when it comes in handy is when you need some truly rare album. This is where what.cd shines, it's like Discogs except with high-speed downloads attached. This is why they have that fucked up ratio system: it's to prevent the usual situation when there's a single torrent, the only seeder comes online once in 3 months to seed for 10 minutes on 3kb/s.

If you have checked everywhere and you can't find the album, what.cd probably has it. It's the community maintained by and made for music aficionados. It encourages people to fill up requests for records, rewarding them for it with ratio and other stuff.

But going there for common stuff or big files is not really feasible.
>>
>>64566061
>i was two years old when those songs came out so not really
Makes sense.
>>
>>64566262
I respect Corgan's work and talent, but I agree to extent. What really turned me off was vague lyrics about love. Quazar, despite being an obvious repeating of Cherub Rock, was actually pretty good IMO. Everything else is just Corgan sounding like another U2/Coldplay, and I don't even like both bands.

Still, it wasn't bad. The problem is, the majority of people have a huge bias against old bands and huge bias for the bandwagon/new bands. When in fact they might be doing the same thing.
>>
>>64559924
This.
They are amazing.
>>
>>64566083
Sounds like a cool guy.
>>
>>64565774
I used to think like you but objectively

Dave > Jimmy
>>
>>64568022
>Dave > Jimmy
Nah
>>
>>64568022
I didn't say "better" for this reason. Grohl is a fucking amazing drummer, hands down. But Chamberlin sounds much more powerful, like a boxer.

Their styles are vastly different too, Chamberlin was originally trained as a jazz drummer. AFAIK Grohl was more inspired by punk and alt-rock, despite both cite Bonham as influence (who doesn't, though).
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiwTTkSN3zA

He was so happy, /mu/ :(
>>
File: mellon collie.jpg (36 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
mellon collie.jpg
36 KB, 480x480
>>64568920
It's truly unfortunate. Many people like to blame Billy for everything, and let's be honest, he does have lots of quirks and a complex personality.

However, SP just couldn't hold forever. D'Arcy and Chamberlin were addicted, and Iha and Corgan obviously had their differences.

Meanwhile, the world of music changed again. Only the fittest, like U2, Coldplay and Foo Fighters, survived. The music which Corgan makes simply didn't sell as well anymore. 2000s rock needed either garage, whiny effect wankery or sissy indie. Corgan was left with burned bridges, a talent which didn't sell, and an uncertain vision of the future. His right-view wings, conspiracies and stupid ventures like that wrestling company didn't help either.
>>
>>64568920
>https://mega.nz/#F!EcknWLTZ!EX5-lZsKqLc2bZ0oJrgEMg

that's so fucking good. what an amazing thing to have been there
>>
>>64568920
I mean this is so fucking good
>>
>>64568920
And then he lost his hair... ;(
>>
This thread has surprised me. I didn't expect mu to like them. They're great though. Siamese Dream is top 10 all time.
>>
What's the story on that song 'Eye'?
>>
>>64569626
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_(song)
According to SongMeanings/Genius, it doesn't really mean that much
>>
>>64563045
whaa
>>
Y'all know any cool TSP merch? I can't find cool stuff (particularly shirts) anywhere.
>>
>>64569912
I meant why was it on the Lost Highway soundtrack, but I think I found an answer
>>
File: Corganic.jpg (116 KB, 1320x480) Image search: [Google]
Corganic.jpg
116 KB, 1320x480
>>64569622
They're Pitchfork approved, that's how I got into them back in the day. See pic related.

Also, Bullet with Butterfly Wings was one of the few songs I heard as a child and I remembered it as being as an example of an extremely angsty grunge. Years later I learned the artist and knew immediately I had to listen to them. So I listened to the other singles like Zero. Then went to Siamese Dream and eventually Gish, Adore and so on.
>>
>>64560362

>gives an opinion preceded by the reason why we should disallow his opinion

good job mayne
>>
>>64570015
https://vimeo.com/33927654#t=125s

Billy talks about it and makes an impression of David Lynch too
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rr7th61VOk&list=FLktIorPRu2-NaEvaRw7kbAg&index=18

Is there a better recording of this? I love hearing post-punk smashing pumpkins
>>
>>64570142
Man, Billy is cute as fuck in that video
>>
>>64568022
Grohl was the weakest drummer out of all 4 of the big grunge bands. His stuff was great and worked brilliantly on Nevermind and In Utero (Scentless Apprentice is amazing) but he was nowhere near as proficient at that time as the others were.
>>
I saw them live yesterday and they were AMAZING HE STILL GOT IT
>>
>>64566083
Didn't Billy break up Zwan because Pajo banged his waifu bass player?
>>
File: george toupee.jpg (38 KB, 717x535) Image search: [Google]
george toupee.jpg
38 KB, 717x535
>>64570208
Makes you remember that they actually wanted to be like The Cure at first.

Man, the feels. Poor Billy didn't deserve to lose hair so early. He even tried looking like the guy from Hellraiser…
>>
>>64559896
*The Smashing Pumpkins
>>
>>64570214
When I listen to his drum tracks from Nevermind, I can feel he wasn't a true pro yet. His playing is all a bit too unrefined
>>
>>64570142
There are some early 1988 bootlegs and concert recordings on what.cd for example. They have most but not all songs from that set
>>
>>64570142
>>64570529
Haven't listened to them personally though so I can't say anything about the quality
>>
>>64570446
Yeah, the groove isn't as strong. What he accomplished on Nevermind is pretty great though considering he'd never even played to a metronome before. Songs For The Deaf will always be the GOAT Grohl performance.
>>
>>64563045
>1:41
oh dear
>>
>>64570142
Found this though http://spfreaks.com/item/gish881005/

1 . I Am One

2 . Bury Me

3 . Daydream

4 . Not Worth Asking

5 . Honeyspider

6 . Rhinoceros

7 . Snap

8 . Love

9 . C’mon

10 . Under Your Spell

11 . Jennifer Ever

12 . There It Goes

13 . She

14 . My Eternity

15 . Bleed

16 . Spiteface

17 . Nothing And Everything

18 . Cinnamon Girl

19 . Time Has Come Today

20 . My Dahlia
>>
>>64570529
Ah fuck, I don't have an account on what.cd
>>64570649
Thanks anon
>>
Gish kicks ass

>>64563045
this is fucking shit
>>
>>64568022
lmao thats a really shitty opinion you got there
>>
>>64570081
Nice
>>
Guys

Which one should I get
https://www.smashingpumpkinsmerch.com/products/mellon-collie-t-shirt
http://smashingpumpkins.shop.bravadousa.com/Product.aspx?cp=71737_71881&pc=BGCTPK05
>>
>>64559896
I tried to commit suicide to Cupid de Locke.
>>
File: 1398027807711.jpg (36 KB, 429x399) Image search: [Google]
1398027807711.jpg
36 KB, 429x399
Yeah, it's pretty fun, and isn't too easy to get caught if you aren't a retard. Make sure you do your own house too, so you don't get any heat.
>>
>>64565774
>They had the best guitar duo of the '90s, and the most powerful drummer in alt rock.
That would be Matt Cameron. Jimmy Chamberlin is easily number two though.
>>
>>64572738
Go with the first one. Every Pumpkins fan has a fucking Zero shirt of some sort.
>>
>>64565079
>genius
>Kevin Shields
lol
>>
I caught them the other night. It seemed a bit of a stretch to call it the smashing pumpkins considering how much time Billy was the sole musician on stage. The Siamese Suite was really something, though.

Funny thing I caught this thread. Just took a 3 hour drive with my sister and listened to Mellon Collie in one fell swoop. Yeah, it's got its fair share of filler but there really are some gems on the album.
>>
>>64559896
The songs Today, Hummer and 1979 are good. That's about it.
>>
What happened was Corgan held onto the teen angst too long and those into smashing pumpkins grew up and realised the phoniness. A pivotal moment was them playing 1979 at an awards show with go go back up dancers. That was when we knew it was all a have and Corgan a con artist of teens.
>>
Do you like drumming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tGB9jXkSEs
>>
Gish
Siamese Dream
Mellon-Collie

All god-tier
>>
>>64570142
Pre-Gish is so good.
>>
File: file.png (136 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
file.png
136 KB, 250x250
This is the best thing they ever did.
>>
>>64572821
>Matt Cameron
Dude has so much finesse in his playing, the ghost notes on Black Hole Sun are beautiful
>>
>>64568920
i honestly think sp are the perfect rock band
>>
>>64570142
i love how 80s they look mang
>>
>>64572990
lol ofc, i have the scott pilgrim one bc im 14 years old and enjoy quirky films and music :))
>>
>>64574249
Absolutely, man. He does what's best for the song, and he shows off in subtle ways that reflect that but make his playing uniquely his own. He doesn't explode often so when he does it's incredible and sort of unexpected.
>>
>>64574627
Totally, he's incredible. The taste in drummers in this thread is God teir for /mu/.
>>
>>64572738
They will never top the Gish shirt
>>
>>64576553
*tier
>>
So I was thinking about this and it hit me why vinyl track order works so well.

Dawn: acoustic tunes. The most insecure, sober, awake part of the record. Medium-slow tempo. Almost doesn't sound like SP. Notice there's no distortion and almost no effects, except drowsy guitar leads sliding in and out.

Tea Time: that's where things get punk. The most energetic, youthful part of the record. Only the distortion and for the most parts no other effects. Very fast tempo. Obviously To Forgive and Porcelina serve as scene changes.

Dusk: things get darker. The tempo noticeably gets slower, the song themes switch to the fakeness of the world, and start leaning to country more. Galapagos introduces dreamy evening sounds. Tales of Scorched Earth obviously serves as a discordant piece to depict the family fight.

Twilight: 1979 starts with an electronic beat. Happy sound, slow tempo. We Only Come Out At Night is the middle ground: it's electronic but still happy. Pretty slow after 1979.

Midnight: the darkest side of the record. Minor and dissonant harmonies. Guitars sound wild, insane and evil. Much more screaming from Corgan. And of course much more electronics and effects. Monotonous music, slow/medium rhythm.

Starlight: once again, almost no effects, stripped down sound. Hangover after a party, picking up the pieces. Very quiet rhythm.

Thus each side has very different sounds, but doesn't feel disjointed.
>>
>>64578008
just made a vinyl order tracklist (minus the two that are missing from CD version: 'Tonite Reprise' and 'Infinite Sadness')

looking forward to hearing the different order
>>
>>64568022
senpai I love dave grohl as a drummer but there's no fucking way he's better than jimmy chamberlin.
>>
>>64559924
Who is Unwound
Who is Sonic Youth
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.