[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's more influential The Beatles or Bob Dylan?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1424705587588.jpg (63 KB, 600x333) Image search: [Google]
1424705587588.jpg
63 KB, 600x333
Who's more influential The Beatles or Bob Dylan?
>>
Dylan got the Beatles high so my vote goes to him.
>>
Dylan no question
>>
dylan
dylan dylan
dylan

dylan
>>
File: 1461616456457.jpg (45 KB, 178x269) Image search: [Google]
1461616456457.jpg
45 KB, 178x269
>>64525499
>>64525655
>>64525677
>>
There's a Keith Richards quote about how more books have been written about Dylan's songs but more babies have been conceived to Stones' songs. I'm sure the same is true of Beatles songs.
>>
THE FACT THAT
>>
how can anyone say dylan.
any artist who
1. has done music videos
2. has creative artwork
3. written a hook
4. written an album less than 45 minutes
5. cultivated a look
6. toured
has been influenced by the beatles.
>>
>>64525776
what the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>64525499
The Velvet Underground
>>
>>64525776
>written an album less than 45 minutes
What
>>
>>64525811
i'll translate for that guy and to help out retards like yourself.

1. beatles were the first to do music videos
2. album covers used to only be the artists faces.
3. beatles have been incredibly influential on pop music.
4. they set the standard for album lengths.
5. epstein made them sign a contract that they wouldn't cut their hair.
6. artists did tours before but the beatles really set the standard for how tours are done.

any more questions? I know it's hard being underage
>>
>>64525776
>1. has done music videos
See Subterannean Homesick Blues
>2. has creative artwork
I've always thought most of Dylan's covers are really lazy, will give you that.
>3. written a hook
See literally any Dylan song. A hook at an end of a verse is still a hook.
>4. written an album less than 45 minutes
See albums that were being made in the 40s.
>5. cultivated a look
See Dylan in his electric era phase.
>6. toured
See Dylan in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s

>>64525828
is Bob Dylan + La Monte Young. Lou Reed was a self admitted Dylan wannabe when he started out.
>>
>>64525869
So your thing about them cultivating their looks isn't even something you're attributing to The Beatles but something their manager is responsible for.
>>
>>64525869
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved
>>
>>64525869
>1
i'll just give you that one without knowing if it's true, i don't care.
>2
exclusively? until when?
>3-5
do not by any logic result in what you wrote before regardless if they are true.
>6
definitely not.
>>
Beatles were the first to do concept albums.
Beatles were the first to do music videos
Stadiums didn't exist for music until The Beatles
Beatles perfected mono recording
First to write lyrics and liner notes on the vinyl cover
Also were the first to completely stop touring
First to have radio edits
>>
>>64526000
>Beatles were the first to do concept albums.

Concept albums was already made in 40s retard
>>
>>64526000
Frank Sinatra was making concept albums (emphasis on the plural) in the 50s. Lennon also said in his lifetime that Sgt Peppers fails as a concept album, so I've got at least one Beatle on my side for this.
Will give you that
This is the stupidest thing I've seen yet
Dylan had liner notes on The Freewheelin'
Little Richard and a whole slew of other rock and roll acts from the 50s did this before.
Like A Rolling Stone had a radio edit
>>
>>64526111
Will give you that was meant for stadiums being used for music, not music videos. Again, see Subterannean Homesick Blues
>>
>>64526000
>Beatles were the first to do music videos
Weren't the Moody Blues the first?
>Beatles perfected mono recording
The Beatles wouldn't have done that, that'd be George Martin. But I'd argue Phil Spector did it better
>>
>>64525828
Bob influenced the Beatles to start making good music
>>
Beatles anon give up or something?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.