[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it really possible to try to like all kinds of music ? I struggle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 384x384
Is it really possible to try to like all kinds of music ? I struggle with some kinds of music, and i feel bad for it. I feel like i'm shallow, stupid and amateur in the one only thing that i think i'm good at. Am i cursed to never be able to enjoy pic related album or do i need more time to let it sink in and actually enjoy listening to it ? Also i'm trying hard to get into jazz and avant garde music
>>
>>64407737
Yes you're forever a pleb TMR is not hard-listening
>>
>>64407737
There's nothing wrong with not liking types of music or particular genres. Just don't go around mindlessly saying that it's shit and everyone who likes it is inferior to you or is pretending to like it.
>>
>>64407902
Don't listen to this guy
>>
There is nothing wrong with having a strong preference for certain genres. Liking everything equally is impossible unless you literally have no personality.
>>
>>64407902
listen to this guy
>>
>>64407737
you just like what you like desu senpai
>>
>>64407737
You need to listen to more types of music more frequently.
>>
>>64407737

That's shit music right there man
>>
kek OP took /mu/'s memeing seriously
>>
>>64407737
This is not to be taken seriously OP
>>
>>64407760
>>64408051
Actually i find their german tv live show really good. But TMR doesn't sound like that.
>>
>>64407760
As a jazz musician I despise trout mask
>>
>>64407902
words to live by
>>
>>64408544
I never said this posercore album was good
>>
>>64408544
As a classical musician I love trout mask
>>
>>64407737
Sincere comment: I've found success with appreciation pic related as well as avant-garde, jazz, classical and even a lot of metal, punk and rap (despite my preconceptions; i used to talk shit about a lot of that in high school) and I think that consistently learning music theory for multiple instruments helped. I'm no trust fund baby nor am I a music major. It seems it would be a lot easier and quicker if I were, but it's worth the work.
>>
File: image.png (311 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
311 KB, 750x1334
Is pic related cool and unique ? Could it increase my value as a human being if people know i listen to it ? If not, i'm gonna stop listening to it.
>>
>>64407737
You can like whatever you like, just don't say albums like TMR are trash just because you don't "get it". At the very least you should be trying to understand it's appeal and work on broadening your horizons with music
>>
>>64407737
>the one only thing that i think i'm good at
>is liking music
Wow
>>
>>64408128
Everyone just passed over this but i c u senpai
>>
>>64408862
Yes. Most people around me can't even Jim O'Rourke. And i see it as a talent. Yes, i tend to judge people based on what they're able to like and/or process. If you can into TMR with only one listen, i see you as a better person than me. I'm not good at anything else, so having a pleb taste really really bothers me.
>>
>>64408921
and so the truth comes out
>>
I listen and play jazz, blues and funk mainly, and all I can really say is, start with easy listening, R&B, blues etc. and work up to bop or hard bop or whatever you want to appreciate. I personally love TMR, and captain beefheart in general.
>>
>>64410539
>>64407737

Safe as milk was way better.
>>
>>64408844
>14 444 scrobbles
help me
>>
if something is compelling or interesting you'll eventually want to listen to it again and explore it further. there's no point in forcing yourself to listen to anything unless you're trying to impress others or be part of some conversation. music is personal, you like what you like and should leave it at that.
>>
i can't get into hip hop
>>
>>64408921
find a different hobby, faggot
>>
Who cares what others think? Listen to what you like, and let that be the end of it.
>>
>>64410737
This tbqh, best Beefheart album
>>
>>64408921
>>
>>64407902
Exactly this.

>>64407737
There's nothing wrong with having a certain taste anon. Pleb is just a buzzword. There are loads of people, though, who aren't interested in music at all and go for the most vapid dime a dozen music there is, without aspiring to anything beyond that. That is completely fine by me, I won't hate on them (why bother really?), but I do feel some music just rewards repeated listening, effort and exploration. Still no reason to get elitist and smug over your taste. Everyone experiences music in their own way, who am I to say their way is not good enough?

Eventually I think it's a good thing to aspire to like more instead of less.
So just keep trying, unless it becomes a chore. Music is supposed to be a good experience, I guess. But some hard work might pay off.

Trout Mask Replica is a prime example of how repeated listening pays off IMO. Sense of humor is key.
>>
>>64408128
You will be surprised at how many people actually do.
>>
>>64408844
that album is so good goddamn

>that percussion
>>
>>64407737
TMR's a weird one for me. I've done the repeated listenings and I recognise it for what it is, but I still wouldn't say I "like" it per se
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.