[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a name or mental illness diagnostic for a self crippling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 267x200
Is there a name or mental illness diagnostic for a self crippling and intense obsession with authenticity and the high brow?
>>
>>64401631
Grandiose delusions
>>
>>64401631
autism
>>
>>64401631
rockism
>>
>>64401631
No, but it's definitely indicative of underlying poor self image.

I think it speaks to you needing to prove you have good taste because nothing else about you is good. [spoiler]Or so your brain tells you.[/spoiler]
>>
>>64401707
I mean I push a lot of people away because I perceive them as phonies and I tried to kill myself in this weird bout of strange manic feelings because I thought I wasn't as authentic as I believed

Now that behavior is understandable if you're a teenager but I'm not
>>
>>64401631
You're misreading preference for quality as pretension because you can't detach yourself from your current favourites.
>>
>>64401806
Sounds rough, friend. I only have to deal with pleb mental illnesses.

I kinda get where you're coming from though, at least with the seeing other people's tastes as generally inferior.

I don't really know how to get over it, but when I thought about things like fashion or cuisine or cars or sports I basically have no sense of taste. I don't think that makes me a worse person, because I like what I like, and I think you just have to apply this outlook to other people wrt music appreciation.
>>
>>64401631
I only listen to hip hop ironically
>>
>>64401631
Obsessing with authenticity actually made me get into politics and mysticism. Everything is spectacle. It's got a lot to do with the way our society is set up, everything is a commodity, even culture and music. It's practically impossible to escape being defined by the things you consume. 21st century life is a spiritual prison. Though you can get occasional glimpses of something deeper here and there, that's subversion, when things don't do what they are supposed to.
>>
>>64401681
He said 'high brow' not "dude stairway to heaven lmao"
>>
>>64401806
bruh you should probably consult a professional if you haven't already, that's incredibly unhealthy behavior.
>>
>>64404756
forgot to mention

I had to move back in with my parents because of something, and they're hardcore scientologists, so if they found out I was seeing a therapist ("head shrink") or doctor they'd probably kick me out man
>>
>>64401631
insecurity
>>
>>64405118
better than suicide man, hope you get better
>>
>>64404568
This is interesting. I looked into mysticism a bit but it seemed like a worldview built on the universe being unknowable. What exactly do you mean by mysticism and what fleeting glimpses of something deeper have you found?
>>
File: image.jpg (742 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
742 KB, 960x1440
>get diagnosed with dysthymia
>gf leaves me
>in a severe depression for about a year
>suddenly wake up not depressed but feel a heavy anxiety and unfocused agitation as well as some really bad confusion

is it weird part of me wants to go back to being depressed? this doesn't feel natural, this isn't me, you know
>>
>>64404568
Somebody post the society of the spectacle greentext if they have it
>>
>>64406808
forgive me if I sound pretentious, maybe I'm going slightly insane, or just got some weird ideas from using psychs, but lately I've been obsessed with the idea the human race is moving towards another plane. The phoniness and illusion of the world has really gone too far, it's has collapse eventually. maybe into a communist utopia or a technological singularity, or something like the rapture idk.
>>
>>64407211
Yeah AI and crazy techs like neural implants are going to change things irrevocably.

Not sure if there ever was a time where things were less phony though. Ancient peoples led their lives believing in spirits and god-kings. I guess we have marketing and consumerism now, but is deception and fakeness really at peak levels?
>>
extreme narcissism
>>
>suicides rise, once again
Like the human race won't end itself before the singularity in 2050
>>
>>64401631
Just look at memes all day idk
>>
Insecurity is a mental illness in and of itself
>>
>>64406985
Holy shit, I know how that feels. Sucks dude
>>
>>64401631
>authenticity
>high brow

pick one
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.