[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GUIDED BY VOICES
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 35235.png (455 KB, 582x717) Image search: [Google]
35235.png
455 KB, 582x717
GBV/Bob general

Who's seeing them on the upcoming tour? 50 song setlist!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guided-by-voices/2016/the-cannery-ballroom-nashville-tn-4bf13b86.html
>>
File: 3.png (216 KB, 499x532) Image search: [Google]
3.png
216 KB, 499x532
Holy shit, a Queen Bee nu-male fan just DESTROYED Guided by Voices

Is Beyonce literally destroying the white dominated indie rock landscape as we know it?

Will Bob Pollard respond?
>>
>>64399442
please refrain

I would go if there were UK dates, but I can't imagine they have the fanbase for it over here.
>>
Thoughts on my GBV cover?

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LwKxzfB4qI
>>
>>64399424
Awesome set, glad he's comfortable playing solo and side-project songs with this lineup, hope he pulls out Blazing Gentleman cuts eventually though, THAT'S what I wanna see
>>
Seeing them tonight in STL. I just wish Tobin Sprout was playing, too :[
>>
>>64399909

take a picture of merch booth and post on here with "guided by voices merch booth" so i can find in archive later

if u do ill send spiritual good karma your way to be honest
>>
>>64399424
I don't understand two things: 1) why the Guided by Voices name matters as much as it does and 2) why he even retired it in the first place, and left it retired for as long as he did

I remember when he first ended GBV back in 2004 or whenever, and released his first post-GBV solo album, From a Compound Eye, which was a pretty decent album... in line with Half Smiles quality-wise, I think. But when he went to tour, nobody showed up. I don't understand how you could be a GBV fan and not know who Robert Pollard is, or go to a GBV show but not a Robert Pollard show. It's essentially the same thing. And still now, it makes no sense that he has to call this Guided by Voices instead of Ricked Wicky to get people to come out. It's just some random guys (and Kevin March). What do people think they're getting out of seeing this Guided by Voices that they wouldn't get from a Pollard or Ricked Wicky show?
>>
>>64400769

I think the average fan just doesn't even take the time to seek out his side projects, which as you said, is quite bizarre as the moniker is pretty arbitrary and the differences between a GBV and say, Boston Spaceships song are almost non-existent.

Boston Spaceships played here to 20 fans. If Guided by Voices plays, it'll eventually sell out by the night of.
>>
>>64400809
>Boston Spaceships played here to 20 fans. If Guided by Voices plays, it'll eventually sell out by the night of.

Yeah, that's crazy. Those Boston Spaceships albums were good too. I mean, how much of that sold-out GBV audience are people who just saw Bee Thousand on some Greatest Ever Albums list and came to see them because they're vaguely aware that Guided by Voices is supposed to be some classic indie band? It can't be that many. If you're a GBV fan, there's no excuse to not see Bob no matter what he's calling it. If it's Bob and your grandma on bongos, it's still Guided by Voices.

I guess brand power is almost everything. It won't sell a drumkit for 50k, but it sure packs the clubs.
>>
>>64400769
The retiring and usage of the name has always been arbitrary, only Bob could tell you and even then for him it's probably just gut feeling.
His songwriting mindset is definitely slightly different when he's writing for GBV as opposed to other things but yeah, the brand recognition is probably the main reason why he's touring under the name now. It makes sense for sure, they got press during the time at which the music he makes was most commercially viable and a lot of people who aren't diehards probably still remember the GBV name enough to come out for that music. Pollard solo/side shows also feature less tracks that those folks would be familiar with
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.