[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
grimes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: grimes.png (641 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
grimes.png
641 KB, 800x600
http://www.npr.org/2016/04/27/455769676/feeling-this-a-conversation-with-grimes

grimes is a big deal
>>
>>64398301
I love her
>>
You guys think she still talks to her witch house pals or is she too cool for them
>>
>>64398301
thanks, some new grimes times to hold me over until... idk her new album?
>>
>>64398403
She's ascended them
>>
>>64398301
She's so adorable. A true artist with a butterfly heart.
>>
File: 7631470484_84edd5dc31_b.jpg (131 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
7631470484_84edd5dc31_b.jpg
131 KB, 480x720
>>64398301
Love her
>>
guys, the audio interviewis up n ow, it's perfect
>>
>>64398403
Of course! She's seems like a genuine person.
>>
As narrative goes, the visuals are purely aesthetic, a laundry list of representational “art” looks popularized by Tumblr, offering nothing more than skewed prettiness; which is why the presence of Candy’s Aeon Flux dancer is so much more problematic. The video is Grimes playing primitivism, using a lens of a vague “future” as a way to execute notions of… well, future primitive. Some of the same critiques of James Cameron’s Avatar—that it continues the tradition of exoticising and idealizing the “advanced” and “pure” primitive other—apply here. Worst of all, the video begins with Grimes singing a refrain that is not on her album: wailing in her airy voice, she seems to mimic the vocal runs of Middle Eastern music, but without offering any context whatsoever. Presumably, it’s her depoliticized sonic interpretation of what is “weird,” “edgy,” or “other,” without any visible evidence that she has any knowledge of global music—unlike, say, MIA, who herself is complicated but travels the world to mine its variant sounds , or even white art-pop band Gang Gang Dance, whose polyglot vocalist Lizzi Bougatsos flips bhangra and traditional Chinese and Arabic singing with the precision of someone who’s studied it.

Grimes is not the first person attaching vague ethnic allusions to coolness without context—nor is she the first person to do so in four-inch “Club Kid” platform shoes. Pop music has long been a palette for white musicians interloping, borrowing, and assuming “other” racial identities, to varying critique or effect.
>>
art angels had some cool tunes, i like it 8/10
>>
>>64400231
GRIMES CONFIRMED RACIST AND APPROPRIATOR
>>
>>64400307
HIGHLY PROBLEMATIC
>>
>>64398763
She's looking tired there. Hope she's not overworking.
>>
grimes is a sexist she hates male producers
>>
File: DSC_0594.jpg (374 KB, 1200x801) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0594.jpg
374 KB, 1200x801
>>64400452
It's an old pic
>>
>>64400165
Really? Seems lazy, narcissistic, and not terribly bright to me.
>>
>>64398301
why does she say people hate her lisp mu loves her lisp
>>
>>64398301
No, she really isn't.
>>
>>64400669
/thread
>>
>>64398301
grimes is such a wannabe and will never be beyonce she sold out over her stupid delusions im done with this shallow bitch desu
>>
>>64400751
>>64400852
take your pleb opinions to >>>/mu/
>>
>>64400610
Glad she's staying healthy!
>>
>>64401072
She's more healthy these days. She quit some of her bad habits, like not sleeping on time or not eating for hours because of working on her music.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.