[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you explain why you like your favorite album without using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12
File: easter.jpg (36 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
easter.jpg
36 KB, 420x420
Can you explain why you like your favorite album without using pedestrian excuses like "I like how it sounds" or faux-technical poseur notation like "great textures" "well composed" and "studio as an instrument"?

This shouldn't be a hard question if you have any musical intelligence.
>>
I sounds good to my ears frog man :)
>>
File: In_Rainbows_Official_Cover.jpg (49 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
In_Rainbows_Official_Cover.jpg
49 KB, 300x300
It makes me feel good
>>
File: 1346094099556.jpg (8 KB, 321x306) Image search: [Google]
1346094099556.jpg
8 KB, 321x306
>>64396698
>without using pedestrian excuses like "I like how it sounds"
Isn't that why you like an album to begin with? Because you like how it sounds?
>>
I saw a review that gave it a 9.3
>>
>>64396740

But why do you like how it sounds? That's a good way to dismiss a question.
>>
>>64396749

This
>>
I like my favorite album because it brings back both fond and sad memories from a time long gone by. It brings me back to the times when I wasn't a jaded individual who hated the world and posted on a Korean katakana compendium.
>>
I simply like how my favorite album sounds
I mean it has great textures, its well composed and overall I think the studio itself was used as an instrument
>>
Real talk: this is the exact mindset that makes all of 4chan so miserable.
>>
File: 25.gif (458 KB, 400x259) Image search: [Google]
25.gif
458 KB, 400x259
>>64396861
>>
>>64396899
I apoligize
>>
>>64396888
I'm not gonna lie, these trips confirm this to me. But elitism is fun for those who benefit from it, i.e. OP. I suppose on the board related to his trade of choice, he is going to go all-out, stopping at nothing to prove he knows more about his subject than the layman.

What can you do about it, really? It's just how things are.
>>
>>64396698
Well, firstly I like the overall vibe of the album. It's emotional and somewhat trippy at the same time, the instrumentation is simply amazing, and the vocals blend in perfectly with the whole atmosphere.
Can you guess whats my favorite album, /mu/?
>>
>>64396993
Lonerism by Tame Impala
>>
>>64396993
Nirvana In Utero
>>
>>64397009
Not even close, but solid guess
Innerspeaker is betther, though

>>64397032
Not a fan of Nirvana
>>
>>64397042
>innerspeaker is better

My nigga

Also the beatles - revolver
>>
>>64397091
Wring, but it was released in a few years timeframe from revolver.
>>
It tells a great and very personal story to the writer, an emotional dedication to the band's past fans. It's a cultural landmark, putting to music that generation's most important social issues which are just as pertinent today. The instrumental work is phenomenal, where each member of the band acts as a virtuoso but still forms part of a cohesive whole. Leitmotifs, synchronous time signatures and atmospheric sound mean there's more to discover on every listen. And it's structured like a Wagnerian opera which ironically compliments the grittiness and low tone of the album's subjects.
>>
>>64396698
>don't use simple explanations
>don't use complex explanations

fuck off frogposter
>>
>>64396970
how is this bad?
>>
>>64396993
Cuck Sounds
>>
>>64396698
Because I like more complex chord sequences, abstract lyrics, and arrangements/instrumentation out of a genre's context.
>>
Trying to explain why you like something usually doesn't work because it just ends up being a list of components of it that you like, and then the question is, why do you like those?

Since liking something isn't something that you logically decide to do, it's hard to give logical reasons for it beyond just surface level details.
>>
>>64396698
amazingly played instruments, a lot of emotion, huge variety of moods and sounds
>>
It's hilarious.
>>
>>64397140
Pet Sounds?
>>
>>64397389
how is this good?
>>
Nah, never actually gave that album a try, not sure if I want to either.
>>
art criticism usually needs proper education though
>>
File: CT67.jpg (352 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
CT67.jpg
352 KB, 1000x1000
It makes me feel like I slept really well, then took a bus to town on a sunny day where I found the most delicious blood orange I've ever eaten in a little corner store.

It makes me feel like I went to the beach late in the afternoon to smoke weed and wait for the sunset while not having to worry about what tomorrow brings, because tomorrow will be exactly like this very day. And the day after tomorrow will be the same too.

Because listening to this album feels like I'm living my own endless summer.
>>
Blends genres I love in a organic, consistent way.
Excellent performance and musicianship.
Great, catchy melodies, excellent songwriting.
Dat drumming.
Dose perfectly timed, lunatic solos.
Some of the best lyricism put in a rock record.
Unique atmosphere.
Great guitar and drum tones.
Flows great, works as a full listen.
The odd way the music is built around the lyrics, gives it a really unique sound.
Emotional, heartfelt delivery.

You'll never guess the album tho
>>
File: 0023127c_medium.jpg (36 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
0023127c_medium.jpg
36 KB, 300x300
>>64396698

bangin riffs

blazing solos

The fuck you want more nerd?
>>
File: whenyougethighinthewoods.jpg (119 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
whenyougethighinthewoods.jpg
119 KB, 500x500
>>64396698
>/mu/ fags spend all day circlejerking about how they have the best taste
>they get so fucking fanny bothered when you ask questions that require them to display any musical knowledge of theory or its use in practice

Loving every laugh
>>
>>64399215

If you think 4chan should be a board for practical use you're getting too old for it.
>>
>>64399268
Despite the huge population of teenagers, there are some people who know of some really great music and I've found some awesome bands here. The only problem is wading through all the shit to get gold.
>>
>>64399268
And uh, so why are you here? You speak from the perspective of someone old enough to not be here, yet here you are.
>>
>>64399296

I wasn't referring to the demographic although there is some truth to what you say I think.

4chan just isn't designed for long form and in depths discussion.

>>64399355

I'm just killing time until I finish listening to an album so I can go to bed. I never come here expecting constrictive time spending.
>>
>>64399268
Is there any good website to discuss music? It feels like /mu/ (which is basically tumblr tier shit) is the most decent place online, and that's very depressing.
>>
>>64399156
my hero
>>
>>64399534
Just make a multireddit of all genres you like and sort by new.

>>64399519
Oh of course, I'm not here for in depth discussion. I'm here to find good contemporary rock bands.

I've found Jakubi, Space Capone, Asteroid, Kadaver and a few good metal bands here.
>>
File: 909d52ed.jpg (78 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
909d52ed.jpg
78 KB, 500x500
Makes me want to not kill myself as much
>>
its good
>>
>>64399215
>you need to know music theory to like music
>>
File: 1461043305062.png (287 KB, 600x441) Image search: [Google]
1461043305062.png
287 KB, 600x441
>>64396698
You first...
>>
>>64399156
My nigga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbVdurzst6g
>>
>>64396698
>why do you like it

i just do
>>
>>64396698
>"studio as an instrument"

You posted this as a result of the 'Loveless' discussion in the other thread.

I agree with your sentiment though.
>>
>>64399631
Strawman. You need to know some theory in order to act like your taste is something special.
>>
>>64399699
ok I can agree with that
>>
>>64399631
you need to know music theory to justify your claims of being patrician
>>
it gives me the feels man
>>
File: The Suburbs.jpg (195 KB, 608x603) Image search: [Google]
The Suburbs.jpg
195 KB, 608x603
It pretty much just sums up my entire outlook on life that your transition from childhood to 'adulthood' is fucking cancerous and that all that is truly important in this world should be true self expression and true feelings. The world is becoming an emptier and emptier place and we're losing touch with actual real feelings.

Also it just has lots of really well-written rock songs with plenty of variety in instrumentation and a continually impressive wall of sound on every track.
>>
>>64396861
near miss!
>>
>>64399699
>needing special, idiosyncratic taste to feel like a proper person

there you go again
>>
File: 81pXGz39aUL._SL1300_.jpg (268 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
81pXGz39aUL._SL1300_.jpg
268 KB, 1300x1300
I saw the music video for Intergalactic on TV.

I was 8 and I loved it. I wasn't really into music let alone hip hop music so I had never heard something like that before. I had to wait for it to air again to figure out who was the artist / album. Hello Nasty was the first album I bought with my own pocket money. It's not the best hip hop album or even the best Beastie Boys album but it's my favourite because it's special to me. Loved these guys ever since. RIP MCA.
>>
It makes me feel.
>>
>>64396698

it takes me back to a time and space and way of thinking and being, of dreams and aspirations and fears.

its a cultural touchstone which connects me to other people, who shared similar joys and struggles and associations overlaid on the same set of sounds.

it universalizes (in the intent and structure of the artist, and its communal consumption by listeners) what seems to be contingent. its a focal point.

and its full of bangers.
>>
>>64396698
>he got that asshurt about loveless
>he posted a frog bait image

If I remember correctly, you weren't able to say why, in technical terms, you didn't like loveless.

Anyways, I like my favorite album because I'd never heard music from a kora, and I didn't really appreciate music from a harp until I'd heard it. They really are two beautiful instruments.
>>
File: tlcw.jpg (87 KB, 608x608) Image search: [Google]
tlcw.jpg
87 KB, 608x608
>>64396698
the first time i listened to the lonesome crowded west, i wasn't a very happy person. the angry vocals that can be found on tracks like cowboy dan and teeth like god's shoeshine showed me that i could make something productive out of my anger, and the lethargic, mellow tracks like heart cooks brain and baby blue sedan gave me something to feel with in unison.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.