[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain why this isn't her best album without also explaining
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: biophilia_large.jpg (473 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
biophilia_large.jpg
473 KB, 1425x1425
Explain why this isn't her best album without also explaining why you are a pleb
>>
Because Vespertine exists.
>>
>>64395809
OP, explain us why this is her best album without also explaining why you are a faggot
>>
because it's just not exciting enough, that's really all I can say

honestly volta is better by quite a bit, and vulnicura/homogenic are her best albums
>>
>>64395809
That's a tough task to take on OP, but I'll give it a shot.

Vespertine is by far a more cohesive piece. Although Biophilia's lyrical themes unify the songs and tie them together like string, the musical backbone of the album feels much less like one unit, and more like a collection of songs thrown together, with song subjects thrown on top afterwards. Whereas in albums such as Post, Homogenic, Vespertine, Medúlla, and even Vulnicura, each song seems to be interconnected with the next, both thematically as well as musically.

Now, please don't get the impression that I believe Homogenic is a subpar album. I think it's a great listen, but at times it feels like a jumbled mess of songs, which don't really fit together. A puzzle piece with jagged edges, rather than continental plates slowly colliding into and drifting away from each other.
>>
>>64395909
>Vulnicura
My nigga
>>
>>64395909
Does an album really need to be "exciting" to be considered good?
>>
>>64396062
well I suppose not, but yeah it just didn't grab me even on an aesthetic level
>>
>>64396159
I didn't find it to be my favorite of Björk's either tbqhwyl desufam. I love Crystalline and Mutual Core, though.
And by the way, I was also asking that question to myself. Not sure if I know the answer.
>>
>>64396262
it really depends on what you define as exciting.

I'm pretty into ambient music, which generally isn't exciting, but I think that a really good ambient track can be "exciting" in a way if it really pulls you into a strong atmosphere.

for vulnicura I didn't really feel that. Crystalline is decent I'll agree
>>
>>64396310
oops, biophilia* not vulnicura
>>
>>64396310
That's an interesting point to make. Sometimes I listen to music as a nice sort of background noise. Even though it may not be my main focus while I'm listening to it, I still greatly enjoy listening to it. However, when I do that, I only play albums which I have heard before. It's interesting, because every now and then I'll discover something new about the album or song which I did not hear before

I know /mu/ does not take very kindly to casual listeners, but I also enjoy music when I'm not paying 100% of my attention to it.
>>
Her best work is generally her most pop oriented stuff. You don't have to be a pleb to realize this. Her strength simply lies in pop. That's not the case with all artists, but it is with her. Also, pop is not synonymous with bad. There is some amazing pop music, and realizing this doesn't make you a pleb. Being afraid of pop music does.
>>
File: 50.gif (2 MB, 356x359) Image search: [Google]
50.gif
2 MB, 356x359
>tfw Bjork is old enough to be most /mu/tant's mother
>>
>>64397839
I wish every old women had that fresh and slim body desu.
>>
>>64397839
she's tapered as hell
>>
>>64395809
Surely not her best album, but an incredibly beautiful and fascinating art project without doubt.

Through Biophilia she has become a visual, multimedial and also disciplinary artist. The record itself it's minimalist and dark, with some gorgeous emotional depths, but I’ve understood that judging this concept album only for its music it's an incomplete critique. This is an extraordinary piece of art, perhaps more a modern opera, where Björk and drummer Manu Delago are at their virtuosic best. Biophilia is not just music, it is made by a dazzling audiovisual spectacle that benefits from the full cinematic treatment. And all this combined with her music and her voice is a magical experience. It's a conceptual project with emphasis on live multimedia installations, scientific and naturalist thematics, based on the interaction between man and technology. Each song of the record corresponds to a specific application for iPad, designed by her, which is able to change music according to whether or not the meaning / criterion of the song itself. These apps are made by structures which adapt every time for a new form made personally. An intelligent and creative way of bringing out the first world app-album ever released (which got now a place into MoMA). In the song Thunderbolt she used a Tesla Coil in order to work as a tool in the background, which creates notes and lightning at the time; during live you can see it on the stage. In this project were used original special instruments, such as the Hang, the Sharpsichord, the Gameleste, the Gravity Harp, all invented on purpose for this occasion (except the hang). However, the album is enigmatic but at the same time her most minimalistic one, but I reiterate that Biophilia is a totally different experience if connected to its intense live performance.
>>
>>64398077
Based.
>>
>>64397479
>being this insecure
lmao
>>
Biophilia is just Volta 2.0 with a stronger visual aesthetic. Her songwriter is weaker than usual, there are very few memorable melodies and any sense of artistry past pop conventions is trite and bland.
>>
>>64398077
This is a truly great review. I think /mu/ is on the right track if more people dedicate their time to discussing music.
Actually, there are quite a few good reviews ITT. This is a refreshing change.
>>
>>64397839
she's also shagged enough people to be most of /mu/'s mother
>>
>>64398605
>Biophilia is just Volta 2.0

You didn't even listen to the albums, am i right dude?
>>
File: Bjork - Moon 1.webm (3 MB, 840x472) Image search: [Google]
Bjork - Moon 1.webm
3 MB, 840x472
>>
>>64398605
Biophilia and Volta are pretty different mate. Volta used a lot of distortion and almost "tribal" percussion a la Bowie's Lodger, but Biophilia had more strings and electronics going on.
>>
>>64398041

what does that mean?
>>
>>64399897
By fine shaped forms.
>>
>>64399897
Fast and bulbous.
>>
>>64399897
he's a nut
he's crazy in the coconut
>>
>>64397479
>Also, pop is not synonymous with bad. There is some amazing pop music, and realizing this doesn't make you a pleb. Being afraid of pop music does.
People like you are why Grimes has a career.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.