[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do people still think lana del ray makes good music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7
File: 3h29oTB.jpg (42 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
3h29oTB.jpg
42 KB, 750x750
why do people still think lana del ray makes good music?
>>
because she do makes good music
>>
Well anon I don't think you'll ever convince Lana Del Rey fans otherwise. You just gotta accept it, a lot of people like a lot of bad shit. Don't get in their way and they won't get in yours. It's kinda sad but it's the world we live in.
>>
I dunno, I just want her to be my mommy
>>
because poptimism
>>
because it's soooo emotional and relatable, you just don't understand
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJABBmAMXnY
>>
>>64391654
Because
>MUH XANAX
>MUH PMS THAT I MISTAKE FOR DEPRESSION
>MUH BAD BOYS
>MUH SHITTY RELATIONSHIPS
>>
She's marketed to teenage girls that think they have reached the pinnacle of non mainstream good taste

Most will never grow out of it. 95% of women have shit taste and it never improves.

>inb4 fedora you have never talked to more than 3 girls if you think that's not true.
>>
>>64391832

gb2reddit
>>
I've met Lana and she was actually a really nice, genuine person. She's also a bit weirded out by her fans. She puts on an incredible live performance with a huge live band, and takes the last half hour to go out into the crowd and take selfies with people. She doesn't really write all of her own stuff but she's certainly a talented singer and a refreshing alternative to other radio pop.
>>
>>64391906
Only a new thick rimmed r/indieheads underage would tell such a thing at such a time.
>>
real recognize real
>>
It's amazing seeing these people form pop cliques as if they're not all on the same level. Also how hard is it to listen to multiple artists?
>>
she's good
her songs are dreamy and chill
>>
>>64391711
tatay and beyonce belong to poptimism
lana.... well, maybe but not so much
>>
>>64392173

Honeymoon is not a pop album

or at least it's not a pop album the same way Lemonade or TSwift's last album was
>>
>>64392282
>Poptimism in a nutshell
>>
>>64392309

???
>>
>>64392309
honeymoon is chamber pop
>>
Ew your gross you rank cunt
>>
>>64392309so there can be literally 100 sub genres of rock music but pop, the biggest genre in the world, can't be split up?

This is why I hate contrarian faggots like you
>>
>>64391654
I know all you memers are laughing at how she thinks she's unique for listening to LDR instead of Beyonce, but you faggots laugh at people for their "mainstream" taste while you listen to Swans and Death Grips.

I think you should all kys desu
>>
>>64392387
>hey look a contrarian faggot, better be an even more contrarian faggot and defend mainstream pop
>>
>>64392457
And that has nothing to do with my point

Good post anon
>>
>>64392387
It's been split up for decades now m8. But mainstream top40 pop is still just that.
>>
>>64392457
i know it's bait but mainstream pop isn't a genre that shares similarities
the type of pop lana makes is very different than say taylor swif
but yeah keep memeing t's /mu/ after all
>>
>>64391654
Some of her songs sound sooo amazing.

Lyrics are absolute garbage tho. They are so bad i am ashamed i listen to her.

https://youtu.be/fmoye45i4IA
>>
>>64391832
>95% of people have shit taste and it never improves.
FTFY.
>>
>>64391719
damn i like this
>>
>>64392527

What's the difference? Please explain this.
>>
>>64392627

Beyonce and Taylor are catchy, simple, radio-friendly, short songs with shallow, trendy lyrics for parties, car trips and stuff like that. The production is basic and sugary and incorporates elements of anything that is popular at the time for mass appeal--rap verses out of nowhere, EDM-style bass drops, etc.

Lana's album Honeymoon is full of slow, soulful, atmospheric ballads that all form a cohesive experience meant to be listened to in full at your own home with quality headphones. There is no modern trend-hopping, it isn't meant for passive listening, it is far more genuine and beautiful and artistic. It recalls the likes of more respectable artists from the past such as Nina Simone and Isaac Hayes.
>>
>>64392972
*attempts to form a cohesive experience
It's shit my, friend with inferior tastes.
>>
File: male_female1.png (113 KB, 1168x1006) Image search: [Google]
male_female1.png
113 KB, 1168x1006
>>64392574
Nah women are worse with it.
>>
>>64392972

did you just compare nina simone with lana del rey? wtf is wrong with you?
>>
>>64393271
Don't be a fucking not picker you know what he was going for
>>
>>64393292

you just can't put nina simone and lana del rey in the same sentence
>>
>>64393322
Agreed she's doesn't even have a tenth of Nina's talents do not that I care much about poptimism but Lana is far better than Taylor and Beyonce's top 10 generic pop
>>
>>64393373

>but Lana is far better than Taylor and Beyonce's top 10 generic pop

yes, she is, but I don't think someone could even compare it to someone as Nina Simone.
>>
>>64391654
Beyonce's new album is good, though.
>>
Did some retard in this thread just say lana = nina?
>>
>>64393551
I can't even stand her voice. I know I've been ruined by /mu/ but I refuse to believe anyone but people who don't know shit about music actually think Lemonade is an above average project
>>
>>64391939
why would I care about how nice she is? Just because she'll sign my balls and take a selfie with me it doesnt make her music better.
>>
>>64393568
No he said Lana was more Nina than Taylor that's all
>>
>>64393212
This is just an unsourced graphic. Where is this from and what is it based on.
>>
beyonce sucks but so does lana
>>
>>64393551
c u c k
>>64393322
lana del rey and nina simone.
>>
>>64393568

no, learn to read you fucking imbecile, the post literally says "recalls the likes of more respectable artists from the past such as Nina Simone and Isaac Hayes". it's not saying Lana sounds like Nina or is as good as her, it's simply a comparison to extrapolate the difference between Lana and other pop artists. jesus christ
>>
>>64393212
citation needed
>>
>>64393373
weird how they both sound better than lana then
>>
>>64393926
Your opinion
>>
>>64393993
how come you only replied to my post and not every single post on the board?
>>
>>64392173
>Lana del Rey doesn't belong to poptimism
Delusional.
>>
who cares i would smash both of them
>>
>>64393622
>>64393861
https://skynetandebert.com/2015/04/22/music-was-better-back-then-when-do-we-stop-keeping-up-with-popular-music/
>>
>>64392127
This. Her lyrics are meh, but I love her voice and the overall sound of her songs.
>>
>>64394353
Thanks!
>>
>>64391654
>suckit_andsee
>>
>>64394353
>https://skynetandebert.com/2015/04/22/music-was-better-back-then-when-do-we-stop-keeping-up-with-popular-music/

>Natasha Bedingfield had a current-popularity rank of about #3000
>the average male doesn't exceed 2500

this graph proves nothing
>>
>>64391654
hi fantano
>>
>>64392972
And yet all of these artist employ the same song structures,chord progressions and time signatures with heavy emphasis on the vocal sections. The subject matter may vary, as you've pointed out, but there's not a lot that sets them apart otherwise.
>>
>>64395183

>same song structures, chord progressions and time signatures

okay but that doesn't mean they all sound the same

you realize that like 90 percent of music that isn't classical or jazz is in 4/4 and verse-chorus-verse structure, right? there's a lot more factors that can differentiate any given song or album.

to me it sounds like you are trying to sound all knowledgable about music because you know some basic terminology but the reality is that you are making up very arbitrary, vague standards for an enormously diverse form of music.

don't get me wrong, I listen to classical, jazz, pop, even some traditional music here and there, but if you listen to Lana's Honeymoon and then Beyonce's Lemonade and think they sound exactly the same, then quite frankly your ears are probably broken.
>>
>>64395271
>using basic music terminology to discuss music means I'm trying to appear knowledgeable
Anyway thats not the point I'm making and I don't think I need extensive knowledge of counterpoint and harmony to understand genre classification of top 40 pop. My point is its pendatic to insist that there's a world of difference between these artist when the all adhere to the same principles of making easily digestible pop music over the same fucking progressions using the exact same structures while sticking to a very similar formula. Usually it's some manner of composition technique that warrants different classification. So far you've identified serfuace level differences but I'd argue that underneath that it's more or less the same.
>>
File: Kimbra 5.jpg (99 KB, 668x747) Image search: [Google]
Kimbra 5.jpg
99 KB, 668x747
>>64391939

Her male fans are mostly really emotional and effeminate betas who cry when they meet her and give her flowers.

Which is why I don't tell anyone that love her and have all her music.

I tell them about Kimbra and Bat for Lashes though and they still think I'm literally gay, as in homo. And Anna Nalick and Brandi Carlile.
>>
>>64395015
it shows exactly what it sets out to show
>>
File: 1461769236032.jpg (59 KB, 700x459) Image search: [Google]
1461769236032.jpg
59 KB, 700x459
>>64395645
There's a difference between a female artist and a *female* artist. Lana. Kimbra, grimes are all *female* and I would suspect any guy who likes them like fully is low t and possibly gay.
>>
>>64391719
More of her songs like this?
>>
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158 KB, 700x700
>>64391692
>you will never softly suckle from Lana Del Ray's breast while she cradles you in her arms and softly sings lullabies as she rocks you to sleep
>>
>>64396597
Like everything off of Ultraviolence
>>
>>64391654
Lana Del Rey fans are insufferable.
>>
>>64397916
this is bait. Lana del Rey barely has any fans
>>
>>64397916
But she's perfect
>>
>>64392400
>i'm gonna take the high road above you guys taking the high road above that girl taking the high road above beyonce fans
>>
>My pussy tastes like Mountain Dew

what did she mean by this?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1MhXiUDVg
>implying that this isn't the best pop song of the decade
>>
>>64391781
What clique of women are you talking about it
>>
>>64398418
tumblr harlots
average qts
>>
>>64398754
Cute girls are popping Xanax????? Where I come from the cute girls are popping open textbooks!!!!!!!
>>
>>64398024
They're still trash.
>>
>>64391719
Why do I like this? wtf
>>
File: lana del rey.png (135 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
lana del rey.png
135 KB, 300x300
Because of the trip hop and baroque pop elements. I'll admit it makes some of her songs pretty damn good, shame that they're held back by really shitty lyrics.
>>
File: tumblr_nmpla1iF381s5issdo1_500.jpg (82 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmpla1iF381s5issdo1_500.jpg
82 KB, 500x409
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.