[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Noise: why is it so shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: 1461727607692.jpg (70 KB, 636x380) Image search: [Google]
1461727607692.jpg
70 KB, 636x380
Why does noise music, which is supposedly totally built on the foundation of total radicalism and freedom and invidivualism, all sound the same?
Why are noise fans so pretentious yet so incapable of explaining what the merit of noise music is?
Is noise music a scam exploiting gullible idiots desperate to be seen as being into something "radical"?
Is noise music for losers?
Is noise music for ex-metalheads who now want to look intelligent but still can't let go of bonheaded "extremism" in sound and imagery?
>>
oh hey it's this bad thread again
>>
how to understand noise music
1) sleep deprive yourself for 48 hours
2) put on a noise track
3) ????????
4) profit
>>
>>64390766
As long as noisefags keep failing to explain themselves, I'll keep making them.
>>
Every sound is noise lmao fuck off loser
>>
All music is for losers.
>>
>>64390696
Tim Hecker is the only good noise artist and even he doesn't really count as noise.
>>
Noise was co-opted by SJW types a couple of years ago. It's egalitarian bullshit now. Everyone is equal because there are no standards that would separate the good from the bad. The worst is how politicized everything has become "AFRO-GENDER QUEER NOISE NIGHT!"

It's an entirely image driven scene now. All the patricians of the noise scene have moved onto more mature forms of improvisation.
>>
I like noise.
I don't know why.
I just like it.
>>
Stop worrying about all that and just listen to music you faggots. People are so concerned with image, and even you talking about how you hate the image of it is the exact same problem. Just listen to The Body or Tim Hecker or Hair Police or some shit, I'm no noise expert but those are noise-related artists I really enjoy, and if you like it keep listening to it. Jesus christ you're all faggots
>>
>>64391823
y-you too
>>
>>64391239
Can a mod ban this guy already?

Also, once you get lots of (You)s you will leave and spam this thread.
>>
>>64391609

gb2reddit
>>
>>64391823
>The Body or Tim Hecker or Hair Police

Not a single one of those artists are noise, you dumb shit.
Maybe, at a very tight stretch, some Hair Police stuff. Maybe.
>>
>>64390696
It just focuses on texture rather than melody thats all.

>Why does noise music, which is supposedly totally built on the foundation of total radicalism and freedom and invidivualism, all sound the same?
it doesnt if make some noise music, then you can pick on differences and styles
>Why are noise fans so pretentious yet so incapable of explaining what the merit of noise music is?
they are pretentious no doubt but its just fun
>Is noise music a scam exploiting gullible idiots desperate to be seen as being into something "radical"?
is pop, rock or electronic music exploiting humans desperate to fill their lives with something
>Is noise music for losers?
no not really
>Is noise music for ex-metalheads who now want to look intelligent but still can't let go of bonheaded "extremism" in sound and imagery?
no
>>
>>64392017
>noise related

Learn to read idiot. All of those artists are influenced by noise
>>
>>64392044
>texture

I love that this meme that clueless /noise/ tripfags (who only got into noise for the sake of having some interesting album covers to put on their album collages) used to fall back on to explain their sudden interest in noise in the early days of that general despite having no idea what "textures" actually meant or how they applied to noise has now become a legit thing people use as an explanation of noise

>>64392084
>All of those artists are influenced by noise

By this logic you could have also mentioned Pictureplane or Alec Empire. Wouldn't be any more or less relevant to the thread than the few you mentioned.
>>
>>64392138
I think it's relevant to the thread when OP is contemplating what makes people like this and want to listen to the music, and differentiate between it. All of the artists I listed to are pretty easy entry points into music that has more of a focus on "texture" for lack of a better term, I think, and can give the listener an easier time understanding why somebody would listen to Sissy Spacek or more harder actual noise artists. Not like OP is doing anything more than being a shitter anyway.

I am not going to pretend like I know more about the genre than you because I do not, but I think it's not too far fetched to talk about those artists with an OP like that. But now I'm curious, what are some straight noise acts that you enjoy listening to?
>>
>>64392138
im not a tripfag you autist
what should i call it, the sound of the sound rather than rhythm? if you dont indulge in pretentious fantano adjectives its perfect way to describe it
>>
>>64391239
ok i enjoy listening to the music
it makes me feel good
i like the way it sounds
is that enough?
>>
>>64390696
Hey wait wat dis girl name yo

I like the album w her chillin w maggots

Wat is she called again yo pls
>>
>>64392249
Pharmakon m8
>>
>>64392249
right click the image
press "s"

pharmakon btw
>>
>>64392213
>But now I'm curious, what are some straight noise acts that you enjoy listening to?

The Gerogerigegege, Kazumoto Endo, Yellow Swans, the list goes on...

>>64392233
You don't even know anything about noise lmao, I remember you saying you thought Hospital Productions was just the label Prurient uses to self-release like two weeks ago. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>64392311
Why is The Gerogerigegege noise but something like Hair Police isn't? That's bullshit, also they're pretty bad m8
>>
>>64392311
what does that have to do with anything lol
is there a set amount of noise i have to listen to before i'm allowed to talk about the genre? where do i get my noise discussion license? does this also apply to all genres of music or only the ones you're interested in?
>>
>>64392376
>is there a set amount of noise i have to listen to before i'm allowed to talk about the genre?

Haha, well you should know the barebones fucking basics at least, yeah. And you don't even know that much.

>does this also apply to all genres of music

It should, yeah. Personally I don't insert myself into discussions about shit I have almost no idea about.
>>
>>64390696

because some people will do pretty much anything just to prove how edgy/ "different" / "special" they are, even if that means listen to annoying noises without meaning. now stop posting threads about the noises fags that like or produce this shit "music".
>>
Honestly, I wasn't big in to noise until after taking a couple semesters of music history. Watching music evolve over time, and seeing how we arrived at noise, musique concrete, and avant garde made me enjoy it more. Especially learning how composition techniques behind it. From there I just started listening to modern noise with the same mind as I would any other type of music and it became really enjoyable to me.
>>
>>64392440
thing is i didn't even "insert myself" into any discussion about anything, i just stated that "hey dude i enjoy the genre and that's the only explanation i need"
i honestly don't really ever discuss noise on this board because it's not something that interests me that much. and yeah, i know fucking jack shit about noise but that isn't relevant at all right now

actually the last time i talked about noise on here was when some dude went apeshit because i listen to music from a certain record label.
>>
>>64392546
>thing is i didn't even "insert myself" into any discussion about anything, i just stated that "hey dude i enjoy the genre and that's the only explanation i need"

It was a pretty shitty contribution either way tbqh.

>i honestly don't really ever discuss noise on this board because it's not something that interests me that much. and yeah, i know fucking jack shit about noise but that isn't relevant at all right now

I dunno, it felt relevant to me.

>actually the last time i talked about noise on here was when some dude went apeshit because i listen to music from a certain record label.

That was the thread in which you outed yourself as a total ignoramus, yeah. It was a pretty funny read, though the other dude getting so upset over a generic flavor of the month label like Posh Isolation seemed like a waste of effort.
>>
>>64391559
noise people, if I love Ravedeath and I like Yellow Swans Going Places too what would you rec me in this interval? I think Going Places is probably my upper limit as far as harshness goes. Thanks
>>
>>64390696
>Why does noise music, which is supposedly totally built on the foundation of total radicalism and freedom and invidivualism, all sound the same?
It doesn't.
>Why are noise fans so pretentious yet so incapable of explaining what the merit of noise music is?
Catharsis.
>Is noise music a scam exploiting gullible idiots desperate to be seen as being into something "radical"?
Not if you don't pay for it.
>Is noise music for losers?
All music is for losers.
>Is noise music for ex-metalheads who now want to look intelligent but still can't let go of bonheaded "extremism" in sound and imagery?
Projecting much?
>Why am I replying to a bait thread?
Bored.
>>
>>64392733
How do you like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPr1RL2f1mo
>>
>>64392925
this is good thanks
>>
>>64392712
>you outed yourself as a total ignoramus
how? because i don't know everything there's to know about certain record labels specialized in noise music? does that make me an "ignoramus"? how detached are you mate

btw why are you so aggressive and rude about this, i don't understand. not to make any assumptions about you as a person or anything but i have such a hard time seeing why you'd actually act like this unless there's something else bothering you. maybe you're hungry? tired? or is it just difficult not to lash out against people over the smallest things
>>
>>64393041
I initially wrote "total noise ignoramus" but dropped the "noise" because I thought that succession of words sounded funny. That's what I actually meant. Since you said as much yourself there's no reason to get all bent out of shape. Chill, breh.

>btw why are you so aggressive and rude about this

I am? I really don't think I am.
This is just shitposting to kill some time, don't take it too seriously.
>>
File: turntables_lined.jpg (48 KB, 612x219) Image search: [Google]
turntables_lined.jpg
48 KB, 612x219
>>64391239
because ASMR that's why you autist
>>
File: h.jpg (3 KB, 126x108) Image search: [Google]
h.jpg
3 KB, 126x108
i like noise music because i like the way it sounds
>>
>>64392925
is this noise?, it doesnt give me the sense of formlessness in the performance, too many supporting melodies, and the texture is weak.
>5/10 not shitty enough
>>
File: 1436794296960.jpg (75 KB, 507x400) Image search: [Google]
1436794296960.jpg
75 KB, 507x400
low threshold for entry.

get a contact mic, hook it up to some distotion, you are officially a noise artist, even if nothing you produce is really interesting, individual, or very exploratory. everyone's gotta start somewhere tho
>>
>>64393168
ignoramus is absolutely the wrong word
it's not ignorant in any way to not be familiar with noise music
dismissing the genre completely like OP might be crossing into ignorant territory but it's still a small genre on the fringe of experimental music. not knowing all about it doesn't make anyone an ignoramus

maybe i'm just picking at words here but that ticked me off. and you really are being unpleasant as hell to converse with, no offense but that's how i feel
>>
>>64391239
Your dedication is admirable.
>>
>>64391239
I explained it pretty well earlier in the thread. Just because you don't like it for the same reasons doesn't mean we failed to explain ourselves. It means you disagree with us.
>>
You don't explain noise, you experience it.
>>
>>64393413
Omg I just realized that this is in fact a new anti-noise spam thread and not the one from yesterday where I explained why people like noise.

Do you really need to use the same picture over and over again?

Wtf is wrong with you.
>>
>Be Me
>Be poptimist or rockist with a very closed mind
>can't understand why people would listen to something that doesn't sound "goog"
>never heard of dissonance
>make threads daily saying noise music is bullshit
>ask people to defend it
>they do every time
>don't accept any of their answers
>muh "it's all edgy posturing" arguement is all I need
>watch the level of quality discussion sink like a lead shit
>I have become cancer destroyer of boards
>make a new thread about Beyonce or meme rap
>>
>>64390696
noise is like jazz, it's the last refuge for the untalented
>>
>>64393508
Stop.
>>
>>64393724
>if it is music I don't like
>they must be untalented!
>>
>>64394674
shut up faggot
>>
If you're a dingus and you don't know it, make noise
>>
yes to all
>>
>>64392505
/thread
>>
>>64390783
o_O
>>
>>64393249
i'm sure it's just some kind of asmr thing mixed with the excitement of the unexpected
i like noise that simulates something like big turbines or machinery or something
>>
>>64392925
that isn't noise that's just lo-fi ambient tones
that's like saying OPN is noise
>>
>>64392925
This doesn't really strike me as noise but I dig it, do you know what release its off of so I can find it on what?
>>
File: 1461544019750.jpg (41 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
1461544019750.jpg
41 KB, 630x420
Say what you will about her music but Pharmakon is proper thicc.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.