[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I didn't realize that you wrote poetry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: folder.jpg (551 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
551 KB, 1000x1000
I didn't realize
that you wrote poetry
>>
>>64367666
>But sometimes I'd feel more fulfilled
>Making Christmas cards with the mentally ill
>I want to live and I want to love
>I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Without a doubt their most underrated song.
>>
>>64367717
yep
>>
>>64367717
I love how he sings that line
>>
>>64367717
Is this a bipolar disorder anthem?
>>
>>64367805
>>64367805
I read somewhere that the first two lines mean that he would prefer spending time with the mentaly ill rather than his peers.

The second half means literally what it's written
>>
>>64367805
It was literally the greatest resignation letter ever written to Geoff Travis when they were getting ready to leave Rough Trade, him being the fictitious "Mr. Shankly." The bloody awful poetry line is an amazing dig because Travis actually tried to impress Morrissey by attempting some poetry, which apparently didn't work out.

>>64367847
The song itself is about wanting to be famous but being stuck at a common, boring job/under someone's thumb. Fame is a bad, "fatal" thing and sometimes he might have felt more fulfilled doing some charity work or something, but he wants to live and be out there.
>>
>>64367902
To add to this, here is Morrissey literally explaining the song.

>‘It really is odd,’ said Morrissey of the song’s deliberation upon ‘fatal fame’, ‘when one reaches so painfully for something and suddenly it’s flooding over one’s body, there is pain in the pleasure. Don’t get me wrong, I still want [fame], and I still need it but … doing something remarkably simple like making a candle can seem more intriguing in a perverted sense than writing another song. But what is anything without pain?’
>>
>>64367902
>but he wants to live and be out there.
actually I think he's so desperate about having sex that he would go so far to catching an std. Or maybe not desperate, but he feels the need to live, and if that means catching an std at least it'll show others that he lived.

I knew the meaning of the whole song, but I think that those lines are about something different rather than his relationship with Geoff and his label
>>
>>64367945
That's just a quip, the character in the song is still Morrissey and he doesn't want to fuck desperately.

Catching something "he might be ashamed of" has broad meaning, and could even be read musically rather than sexually.

See >>64367934

He wants both the pain and the pleasure that comes with living.
>>
>>64368009
>He wants both the pain and the pleasure that comes with living.
yeah I can agree with this

great song anyway
>>
>>64368038
One of my favorites, boggles my mind how many people don't like it.
>>
>>64367717
Its an excellent song.
>>
File: IMG_20160416_154854.jpg (3 MB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160416_154854.jpg
3 MB, 4208x3120
>>>64368038
>One of my favorites, boggles my mind how many people don't like it.

Not to sure but as far as I can usually see it is usually a population of /mu/ that don't understand Morrissey's writing, especially the great humour that Morrissey writes with in the majority of his works throughout his career.
>>
>>64368430
what
>>
>>64367717
My favorite Smith's song. The mentally ill line is my favorite too
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.