[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can mu recommend more bands with a similar sound? The Doors come
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: The-Gun-Club-cover.jpg (129 KB, 594x594) Image search: [Google]
The-Gun-Club-cover.jpg
129 KB, 594x594
Can mu recommend more bands with a similar sound? The Doors come to mind
>>
You should check out the Cows
>>
The Cramps are pretty obvious one.

Listen to the "Gravest Hits" EP, and then "Songs the Lord Taught Us".
>>
The Stranglers
Rowland S Howard
>>
>>64361838
Everything which begins with "The" up until like 1999.
>>
the fuzztones *
birthday party
johnny thunders & heartbreakers
red kross
X
lords of the new church
screaming blue messiahs
beasts of bourbon
fuzztones

fuzztones
the angels (AU)
thee only ones
fuzztones
rose of avalanche
lydia lunch
sister double happiness
these immortal souls
fuzztones
fuzztones
>>
>The Doors

What? The Gun Club makes much more interesting music then them, i guess they both take inspiration from blues but that's where the similarities end
>>
File: Sickidz!.jpg (117 KB, 472x473) Image search: [Google]
Sickidz!.jpg
117 KB, 472x473
>>64361838
Try this. Lux produced it, and it has kind of a Kid Congo type vibe to it.
>>
File: His first two LPs.jpg (22 KB, 301x300) Image search: [Google]
His first two LPs.jpg
22 KB, 301x300
>>64363538
You need Howlin' Wolf's first two LPs on Chess, that's what Jeffrey Lee Pierce was drawing from. The Gun Club's first album was a straight ripm off of those two Chess long plays. Honestly, you need that CD or repros of the original LPs on vinyl, 'cos that shit is eternally fucking deadly cool. You have good taste, by the way, if you like Gun Club.
>>
>>64362577
PS Ignore every last word and recommendation this anon has; he doesn't know jack shit.
>>
>>64363631
except for the Heartbreakers, that is
>>
File: growlersinorout.jpg (673 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
growlersinorout.jpg
673 KB, 1200x1200
This sounds more like the Doors than the Gun Club. If you've only listened to Fire of Love, listen to the other Gun Club stuff too. They're surprisingly consistent though they never got as good as their first album imo.
>>
>>64364757
i thought Miami was kinda shitty desu and Fire of Love is one of my absolute favorite albums
>>
>>64364788
yeah my problem with Miami was that it seemed like it was trying to be Fire of Love again but it wasn't nearly as crazy. After that they kind of go in a different direction. Try the song Yellow Eyes off of Mother Juno.
>>
Early Blondie, srs
The more listen to them the most obvious is the influence they had on JLP, completely understand why he was such a fan
>>
>>64364788
>not liking Miami
It's just as good as Fire of Love or better, just has a thinner production and 70% more feels

Larger Than Live is probably the third best GC release. Probably one of the best live albums ever
>>
>>64365040
Fire of Love is such a delightfully physical record with that powerful groove throughout, the characteristic dynamic shifts serving atmospheric variation as much as emphasizing the groove. Miami in comparison seems to lack a bit of direction.
>>
>>64365141
Listen to it again and stop pretending you are a music journalist you pretentious cunt.
Your loss anyways, bet you think that "Pastoral..." is a terrible album
>>
>ctrl+f
>no Flesh Eaters

The plebian is strong ITT
>>
>>64365444
lol ok. pls forgive me for making an honest attempt to reason my opinion instead of just throwing around insults, i promise betterment.

eventually i will listen to it again for sure, but first i'll try Death Party again.
>>
>>64363538
I saw Kid Congo live not long ago, it was fucking excellent. He did a few Cramps songs and a Roland S Howard song since it was the anniversary of his death.
>>
the las vegas story is pretty good too, I think all their albums are pretty good actually

fire of love sounds different than the rest, simpler and more raw/energetic while the others are more complex and toned down songwriting

maybe try pub rock stuff like pirates, stranglers, dr feelgood for early gun club vibes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS8uC7ea9oE

Flat Duo Jets too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqdjeGEBm6c
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BvKB-eOR9M

jack white ripped his whole schtick off dexter romweber
>>
The Leaving Trains are pretty much Gun Club clones, but the're good

I know The Saints are a whole other story but somehow they have a lot in common, their second album is groovy af
>>
>>64366383
The Saints rock my socks. I couldn't find a working link for I'm stranded in the archive but I looked a few months ago so there might be one now.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.