[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Concept Albums
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 220x222) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 220x222
What's your favorite concept albums? Concept album general I guess

Are there any albums that are told as story similar to Hospice?
>>
lowkey GOAT concept album right here
>>
Are there instrumental concept albums, or concept albums for people that don't care for lyrics? probably not since just the idea of a concept album seems to appeal to lyric listeners, but I dunno
>>
>>64335849
I'm not sure if it's a concept album, but Miles Davis' 'Kind of Blue' has reoccurring melodies in the songs. Great cohesive album.
>>
>>64335883

No. It does not have similar melodies. It's 5 standards that are all in different keys and modes. Nothing repeats between songs. Clear lack of basic jazz knowledge ur displaying.
>>
>>64335834
Because of the time signatures, right? Or is there some deeper thematic significance I never noticed?
I love this album, but I've never thought to consider it a concept album.

>>64335849
A lot of Leyland Kirby's stuff is conceptual, especially An Empty Bliss Beyond this World. The source of the samples and the way they're manipulated all convey a really specific theme.

Also, Sleep Research Facility has a few albums which convey a specific setting or atmosphere. The Antarctica one and Nostromo especially.

Also, Robert Rich's Somnium is all about sleep and sleep cycles.

Sorry, the only ones I can think of are ambient.
>>
Hadestown(super freaking underrated around /mu/)
La Vida Boheme-Sera
The College Dropout by Kanye
Illinois and Carrie and Lowell by Sufjan stevens(I believe Age of Adz was explicitly said not to be be a concept album)
TPAB and GKMC
Lupe Fiasco's The Cool

>>64335849

The Planets by Gustav Holst
>>
>>64336460
>The Planets by Gustav Holst
what the fuck
>>
>>64336560

elaborate
>>
>>64335834
Not a concept album, unless you really want to push it

>>64335883
"No"
You don't know jack shit about jazz do you?
>>
>>64335849
There are classical music pieces that could be considered a concept album, such as Vivaldi's 4 seasons
>>
File: 81fvK5hxs6L._SL1300_[1].jpg (293 KB, 1300x1292) Image search: [Google]
81fvK5hxs6L._SL1300_[1].jpg
293 KB, 1300x1292
Maybe Thomas Dolby's "Golden Age of Wireless," a sort of concept album about the early radio era.

Some of those songs (like "Airwaves" or "Cloudburst at Shingle Street") are classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CL6aJ8YqAM
>>
>>64335849
OH, and there's Camel's The Snow Goose of course
>>
I like Welcome to the Black Parade
>>
File: MrLif_IPhantom_Cover_large.jpg (42 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
MrLif_IPhantom_Cover_large.jpg
42 KB, 480x480
Not my absolute favourite concept album but it's a good one that tends to be overlooked imo
>>
File: Deep-Frieze.jpg (24 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
Deep-Frieze.jpg
24 KB, 500x501
>>64335849
>>
>>64335849
Invisible Cinema by Aaron parks

Also, it's called a tone poem usually, though I would call IC a concept album
>>
>>64336566
Not him, but probably he's mad because you're referring to a suite written before the album was a popular format
>>
>>64335849
Just listen to classical music desu.
Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique
R Strauss - Alpine Symphony
R Strauss - Tod und Verklarung
Liszt - Faust Symphony
Beethoven - Pastorale Symphony
>>
>>64335849
Mike Oldfield -Tubular Bells
>>
File: Cracktheskye.jpg (68 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Cracktheskye.jpg
68 KB, 300x300
Trippy and kinda dark. Some may say pretentious, but I enjoy the head-space this album puts you in.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.