[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Soul singer Billy Paul dies at 81
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (34 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
34 KB, 1280x720
Best-known for his massive 1972 hit "Me and Mrs. Jones," he had a long career going back to the 1950's. Here's a 10-minute psychedelic soul-prog track he did in 1973 called "War of the Gods":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ3SSKjRtLI
>>
lol this fucking year i swear to ged
>>
>>64331738
Well to be fair, he WAS 81 years old. That's slightly past the normal life expectancy for a male in the US, so, we can't really say he expired before his time.
>>
>>64331981
it doesn't matter how old he was

this is the year everybody dies
>>
>>64332077
Celebrities die all the time. You've just become old enough to notice it now
>>
>>64331694
I have that record and forgot all about it. Might have to give it a spin now.
>>
I'm not going to pretend I listened to his work.
But man, I must've played Me and Mrs. Jones near a thousand times, shit's amazing.
Here's hoping he was Christian.
>>
Death has became Oprah now
>>
>>64332104
>You've just become old enough to notice it now
I don't think so buddy
>>
>>64331738
He's just a one-hit-wonder who was old, not like him dying is some huge shock to the world.
>>
>>64332104
>Bowie
>lemmy
>prince
Some seriously big artists have died this year and you can't deny it.
>>
Was he black enough for you, /mu/?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX6k5tRzDuU
>>
>>64332641
I never heard that much media coverage about Lemmy compared with the other two though I guess he's not that well known outside the rock community while they had way more normalfag fans.
>>
>>64332617
He's not REALLY a one-hit wonder. I think he put something like 15 songs into the Billboard R&B charts over the years, and he did have one more top-40 hit - this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEe6cMWJL9g
>>
He's pretty cool. Any other Soul recommendations?
>>
>>64332711
Lemmy never had top 40 hits and you didn't hear his stuff except on rock stations.
>>
>>64332711
Lemmy died in December so it wasn't this year. And he's got a cult following but nowhere near the level of Bowie/Prince who are some of the biggest stars to ever exist.
>>
I wish people would talk more about soul on /mu/.
>>
>>64334373
Too many edgy white teens who only listen to it if it has guitars.
>>
I'm not going to suddenly pretend like i was a super Billy Paul fan but Me and Mrs. Jones is an awesome song so thanks for that Billy. Rest in Peace.
>>
>>64334057
>coming to /mu/ for recommendations

sadly it's not 2012 anymore

Check out
Al Williams- I am nothing
>>
>>64334884
I don't think /mu/ knows too much about soul music other than the big classics, including me. I'm totally willing to get into it more though we should have more /soul/ threads or something
>>
>It describes an extramarital affair between a man and his lover, Mrs. Jones.
wew
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18 KB, 400x266
360 Degrees of Billy Paul [Philadelphia International, 1973]

At his worst, Paul is black naturalness at its most mannered--florid, hyped up, homiletic, sort of a Les McCann of small-time jazz singers. But Gamble and Huff have been making great music out of middlebrow jazz for years, and when they give Paul a good song--several of the black-consciousness riffs, which G&H seem to turn out as if they were so many follow-ups to "Tighten Up," are better than "Me and Mrs. Jones"--his overstatement is no more offensive than Ray Charles's. On stupid, unrealistic songs (e.g., "I'm Just a Prisoner") he sounds stupid and unrealistic, which figures. B-
>>
>>64335069
be the change you wanna see on /mu, anon. I'm with you
>>
>>64336352
Stop spamming yourself everywhere Robert
>>
>>64336369
Okay anon i'll try my best!
>>
>>64332104
Lemmy died in 2015 though
More like that guy from The Eagles
>>
>>64331694
Kirk Douglas is still alive.
>>
>>64332250
kek
>>
>>64331694
>10-minute psychedelic soul-prog track
is it wrong to get a bit of a hard on while reading that?
>>
literally who?

now you are just looking for dead people
>>
>>64331694
>10-minute psychedelic soul-prog
That actually sounds pretty patrician
>>
File: 1429733256935.png (431 KB, 772x994) Image search: [Google]
1429733256935.png
431 KB, 772x994
>>64339840
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.