[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (319 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
image.png
319 KB, 500x700
Let's end this war. Who is better - Trent/NIN or Manson?

Also /marilynmanson/NIN/ general, I guess.
>>
You mean /mallgoth/ general?
>>
>>64329655
>implying nin was mallgoth
actually the two had p different canvases back in the 90s. people just group them together because they toured together once
>>
>>64329779
Trent produced Portrait of an American Family.
>>
>>64330156
So? Their fan bases were seperate even still
>>
>>64330226
No they weren't.
>>
NIN and it's not even up to debate
>>
I like Trent/NIN more. I had first heard Downward Spiral when I was maybe 12, but With Teeth was the album that made me a fan. I saw them live on the Wave Goodbye tour and my taste in music had changed by the time Hesitation Marks came out (also I thought it was just okay). The Fragile, The Slip and Year Zero have all also become favorites of mine. Pretty Hate Machine is just good.
>>
>>64330535
I was a part of the NIN fanbase back in their heyday. I can firsthand confirm the fan bases were as seperate as chalk and cheese, fa m.
>>
>>64330615
are you me
>>
delete this thread
>>
>>64330711
we don't take orders from you
>>
>>64329642
Does anyone know why they had the falling-out, then fixed their friendship, then fell out again?
>>
Trent Reznor is a musicial genius. Marilyn Manson could be generously described as a decent lyricist and social entertainer in the David Bowie sense.\
>>
>>64330693
That's quite odd because I grew up as an early teenager at that time (in the mid 90s) and have noticed the people in my age group that liked NIN also liked Marilyn Manson too and even my older relatives in a different state liked both of them too. Hell, I even had a friend that read all about both of them with a Marilyn Manson poster and a NIN shirt.

If you looked at either their last.fm pages they are still the first recommendation of similar artists.

I still think you're wrong.
>>
Manson may not be as lyrically talented as Reznor, but Manson is definitely more socially and politically conscious and seeks to make people think.
>>
>>64330916
We must have lived in different states, then, because all the people I knew who loved NIN were Joy Division and Bauhaus fans, whereas Manson fans also listened to plenty of Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper and Motley Crüe.

Maybe your area was different. I distinctly remember the two bands herding very different fans, however.
>>
>>64330976
this, basically. reznor's music was a lot more introspective/emotion-based shiz, manson's had a cultural focus

not to say reznor didn't go a lot more political in later albums, but it was always nothing like manson's satirical approach
>>
>>64331022
The fact that you brought up Joy Division and Bauhaus (maybe alongside with Alice Cooper and Motley Crue) shows that you may have lived in a bit more cultured and populated city in one of those states because I honestly had never heard of either of the British post-punk bands at that time. Coincidentally enough my older relatives were a bit partial to White Zombie to as well.

There was also an overlap with Slipknot and Korn with that same crowd in my city with the nu-metal trend coming around the corner at that time :^)
>>
>>64331460
Actually I take that back, I'm absolutely sure I've heard of those British post-punk bands at my relatives but I was just as dismissive as I was with NIN/MM at that time
>>
>>64331513
There you go then.
>>
Manson, no contest.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.