[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the best Rush album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: rushge-signal_09.jpg (709 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
rushge-signal_09.jpg
709 KB, 1500x1500
Is this the best Rush album?
>>
Moving Pictures and Hemispheres are best but that's good too
>>
>>64328707
one of them. their run of albums from 1975-1985 is pretty stellar desu

not all are the same level of quality, but literally every record in that period is at least solid. and quite a few of them are amazing. after that they kinda fell off
>>
>>64328707
Permanent Waves
Permanent Waves
Permanent Waves

Also Hemispheres. Their Period from Farewell To Kings - Signals was by far the highlight of their career. Signals was their last REALLY good album.
>>
>>64329593
>Signals was their last REALLY good album.
*Grace under pressure
>>
>>64329744
I like Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows but they started wandering too far into 80s cheese like Yes after Signals.
>>
>>64329593
>Signals was their last REALLY good album.

Clockwork Angels was great
>>
>>64329856
I don't see why people lump Grace into Power windows and HYF, the synths on Grace sound WAY different.

On Grace, the synths created an appropriately frigid "nuclear winter" atmosphere, but on the next two albums, they were used more for glam and 80s cheese.
>>
>>64329501
agreed. moving pictures is my favorite but signals is quite good too. i've started liking power windows a lot more recently as well. but hold your fire is where they really start to fall off in quality
>>
>>64330103
The synths on Signals have a warm, slighty lo-fi feel to them. 1982 was a good year for the moog. Moog, Casio, and Roland got super commercial the following year and their sounds became cold and souless. Not to say it always sounds bad, just not what I want from Rush.
>>
File: Rush - 2112.jpg (134 KB, 960x854) Image search: [Google]
Rush - 2112.jpg
134 KB, 960x854
>>
>>64328707
Yes. By a mile.
>>
File: Rush.jpg (655 KB, 2750x1719) Image search: [Google]
Rush.jpg
655 KB, 2750x1719
>>64329501
>>64330104
>their run of albums from 1975-1985 is pretty stellar desu
Much agreed.

1976 - 2112
1977 - A Farewell To Kings
1978 - Hemispheres
1980 - Permanent Waves
1981 - Moving Pictures
1982 - Signals
1984 - Grace Under Pressure
1985 - Power Windows
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 350x350
This is a great live album.
>>
>>64329935
I actually much prefer Snakes and Arrows to Clockwork Angels.
>>
Regarding their newer albums, Snakes and Arrows is very strong. Clockwork Angels was ok, I don't think it will age as well as S&A has. Vapour Trails is also quite good if you listen to the new remastered version, when it came out it was like having a brand new Rush album desu
>>
File: grace under pressure.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
grace under pressure.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>64328707
Yes, pictured is 2nd best
>>
Am I the only one that likes Counterparts best ?
>>
>>64334433
I'm sure there are other people who can't turn left
>>
>>64328707
their last good album
>>
>>64328707
It's certainly my favorite. I'd say Permanent Waves is the best. Grace Under Pressure has a place in my heart as well.

I mean, shit, I don't hate anything they've done, it's really just a big race to muh favorites. Counterparts, Presto, and pretty much their whole 70's run get frequent listens. As does Snakes and Arrows, and all the live stuff. Only albums I never listen to all the way through are Roll the Bones and Test for Echo.
>>
>>64335038
Seriously what were they thinking with test for echo its horrible
>>
>>64335074
I love the first two tracks. Then I stop, because there's nothing else there. It's like it's not even Rush. Virtuality makes me fucking cringe. I'm glad they got out of whatever rut produced those tracks. Test for Echo and Driven can stay though, those are dank.
>>
>>64335038
>>64335128
I actually like Roll the Bones, but yeah, this description of Test for Echo is spot on.
>>
>>64335128
I can't even stand the title track, Driven is okay, but that's it.
>>
>>64335149
I like Roll the Bones as well, but the live versions of all its tracks are so much better that I don't bother with the album most of the time. Different Stages' version of Dreamline is so fucking good I just don't see the point in hearing the studio recording. That goes for Bravado as well. Those are the only two tracks I really love off that album, not that I dislike the rest, particularly.

Also, is it weird that I've always wanted Man-O-War to cover By-Tor and the Snowdog?

>>64335169
R30's version of Driven is the shit.
>>
>>64328707
I'm partial to Test for Echo, but a lot of people seem to forget it exists. There isn't really a song I dislike on it.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.