[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: Ramones_-_Ramones_cover.jpg (29 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
Ramones_-_Ramones_cover.jpg
29 KB, 240x240
I just listened to this for the first time and I don't understand what the deal was or why this is one of the GOAT rock albums of all time.

>dude with a fake British accent singing nonsense lyrics in a monotone voice over static power chords
>>
It was really new back then, now it's not as fresh because a shit ton of pop punk bands started ripping them off.
>>
>>64321296
>a fake British accent
wtf, the Ramones are meant to be using a fake british accent?

Englishman here.
>>
>>64321362
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6GAGdBiJF0

He sure sounds like it.

Also I noticed that Black Sabbath stole the intro from this song and used on Neon Knights.
>>
File: no.jpg (38 KB, 604x483) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
38 KB, 604x483
>>64321639
>He sure sounds like it.
>>
OP is an underage mealfag. Go back to yelling about the Devil and le epic 350 bpm shredder solos.
>>
Sex Pistols > Ramones

And I'm from the US
>>
>Xgau thinks this band was better than Priest, Maiden, and Sabbath
>>
>>64322086
He's right, you know.
>>
It sounded really unique at the time and also the extremely basic production means that the Ramones sound almost timeless while if you listened to conventional rock/pop from 1976, it sounds...like 1976. This album could have been released yesterday.
>>
>>dude with a fake British accent singing nonsense lyrics in a monotone voice over static power chords
that's exactly the appeal so I don't think you will enjoy it OP
>>
And of course like all smart bands, they had the one token radio-friendly single (I Just Wanna Be Your Boyfriend) to appeal to girls.
>>
I recognize its importance but as a modern listener it bores me

some serious cringe whenever Rolling Stone writers/other shitty rock journos refer to it as "breakneck punk fury" or some dumb shit, when the fastest song on the record would put my grandmother to sleep.
>>
>>64321899
I like the Sex Pistols too, but this is just plain wrong.
>>
>>64322086
They are definitely better than Iron Maiden. They're equal to Sabbath. If it weren't for late 70s Priest, I'd say they were better then them too.
>>
>>64322308
I wouldn't go that far and i absolutely love the Ramones.
>>
>>64321296
Ramones is considered to have established the musical genre of punk rock, as well as popularizing it years afterward. Rombes wrote that it offered "alienated future rock," and that it "disconnected from tradition."The album was the start of the Ramones' influence on popular music, with examples being genres such as heavy metal,thrash metal,indie pop, grunge, post-punk, and most notably, punk rock.

"When the [Ramones] hit the street in 1976 with their self-titled first album, the rock scene in general had become somewhat bloated and narcissistic. The Ramones got back to basics: simple, speedy, stripped-down rock and roll songs. Voice, guitar, bass, drums. No makeup, no egos, no light shows, no nonsense. And though the subject matter was sometimes dark, emanating from a sullen adolescent basement of the mind, the group also brought cartoonish fun and high-energy excitement back to rock and roll."
—Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
>>
>>64324193
Despite the lack of popularity in its era, the importance of the album for the development of punk rock music was incredible, influencing many of the most well known names in punk rock, including the Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, the Clash, Black Flag, Misfits, and Green Day. Billie Joe Armstrong, singer for Green Day, explained his reasoning for listening to the band: "they had songs that just stuck in your head, just like a hammer they banged right into your brain." The album also had a great impact on the English punk scene as well, with the bassist for Generation X, Tony James, saying that the album caused English bands to change their style. "When their album came out," commented James, "all the English groups tripled speed overnight. Two-minute-long songs, very fast."In another interview, James stated that "Everybody went up three gears the day they got that first Ramones album. Punk rock—that rama-lama super fast stuff—is totally down to the Ramones. Bands were just playing in an MC5 groove until then."In 1999, Classic Albums by Collins GEM recognized Ramones as the start of English punk rock and called it the fastest and hardest music that could possibly be concocted, stating: "The songs within were a short, sharp exercise in vicious speed-thrash, driven by ferocious guitars and yet halting in an instant. It was the simple pop dream taken to its minimalist extreme."In 2012 the album was preserved by the National Recording Registry, deeming it "culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant."
>>
>>64324219
>"all the English groups tripled speed overnight. Two-minute-long songs, very fast

The songs aren't even that fast though I guess compared to the 70 bpm Black Sabbath kind of stuff, they seemed like sonic speed.
>>
When a 16 year old Henry Rollins first heard The Ramones, he described it as "a life-changing experience."
>>
>>64325442
>When a 16 year old Henry Rollins first heard The Ramones, he described it as "a life-changing experience."
>Henry Rollins
>life-changing experience
That's how you know all they hype surrounding them is pretentious wankery.
>>
Simple, extremely basic production, and were completely unpretentious. The songs were all simple, direct, and the band had a sense of humor about themselves.
>>
If you read contemporary reviews, critics other than Xgau didn't seem to get it either.
>>
Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue has a catchy af riff.
>>
>>64323915
Like most punk bands, their live performances were probably more exciting than the records.
>>
>album sold about 1000 copies
>meanwhile normalfag crud like Foreigner and Journey went multiplatinum

But then hasn't it always been like that...
>>
File: minorthreatsheep.png (53 KB, 373x302) Image search: [Google]
minorthreatsheep.png
53 KB, 373x302
Hardcore punk is the best. If you are interested in punk then try Zen Arcade or The Shape Of Punk To Come.

Ramones are decent at least but their music feels a bit stale after listening to more interesting punk.

Commercialized shit that lives off the "punk" image like the Sex Pistols is fucking garbage.
>>
>>64325697
They changed Steve Albini's life too, that's what got him interested in punk.

Their music is definitely simple compared to more recent stuff, but their influence in all kinds of important rock music cannot be overstated.
>>
First heard them on an alternative station in the early 90s (I'm older than many of you) and was like shit, what is this? I eventually got to see them live in '97, but too bad I wasn't around for their late 70s heyday.
>>
53rd & 3rd is about how Dee Dee Ramone used to pose as a male prostitute so he could rob gay men to feed his smack addiction.
>>
>>64321296
>>64321639

>fake British accent

oh fuck the adolescent years of humiliation suffered at the hands cursing mad punk music enthusiasts,
thank you for vindicating me, anon
>>
>>64322086
If it's from New York and it's even tangentially punk, he'll slap it with As and five stars without question.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.