[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is noise music so shit and why do noise music fans have such
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5
Why is noise music so shit and why do noise music fans have such hilarious superiority complexes built on the basis of listening to formless, aimless electronic screeching with bits of high-school-angst-level "extreme" imagery slapped on top?
Is noise music just a scam meant to take advantage of and empty the wallets of the gullible "y-you just don't get modern art, pleb!" crowd? Or are the artists making it equally as tryhard and up their own asses as the people who listen to this dogshit?
>>
>>64320805
Noise is made by people not talented enough to do anything else. It's fucking easy to make weird abrasive sounds on a computer.
>>
>>64320805
Post tiddies.
>>
>>64320844
I'd like to be convinced otherwise but the more I look into it the more it looks like a scam that's just making use of the lowering standards when it comes to "intelligent art" to make a quick buck.

>>64320857
Can't, mayne. The mods are cucking me.
>>
>>64320805
I enoy listening to noise music
:^)
>>
>>64320962
I see where your coming from and why you think that. There's probably not a lot of money in noise.
>>
>>64320805
Why are you this bothered? Just listen to music you like, and avoid the threads for it on here, just like the waifu and kpop/grimes threads. No one is forcing you to like it, and who cares if others do
>>
>>64321295
Is this the best you can do to defend noise? "If you don't like, don't listen"?
Pathetic.
>>
Whenever I have been to a noise show there's like fifteen people there tops. So why do you even give a fuck? Sometimes it's a nice brain-scrubber.
>>
>>64320805
>modern
noise predates most other recent genres and as a noise enthusiast myself I consider it neither "modern" nor "hard to get". On the contrary, it's very primal music: either you like the sound or not, regardless of structure, composition, or other "advanced" forms of musical elements. Imo it's one of the most easiest "to get" genres. The harder level is to actually enjoy it and there you have a very small percentage of people who actually do and neither one would or could explain why it pleases them, it just does.
>>
>>64321538
>So why do you even give a fuck?

I have honestly been hoping for something more worthwhile than people just asking me "why do you care?" over and over again.
Are any of you even capable of giving a substantial and insightful explanation of the merits of noise?
>>
>>64321658
>neither one would or could explain why it pleases them

This makes me think that it's more of a fashion statement to "like" noise than anything else, a way to show everyone how "radical" you are without putting any effort into actually exploring and educating yourself on more refined and developed forms of experimental art.
>>
>>64321796
There's a difference in just being able to enjoy noises in general and then being able to enjoy albums incorporating noise in a distinct matter. I don't know if one thing concludes the other one. If you belong to the first category though it's likely you can find merit in noise music. In that case it's very easy to delve into the genre, looking through different approaches, intensities, origins, eras, and picking what sits with you the best.

If you define "aimless screeching" as "radical" you give more power to the people you assume listen to noise only because of that aspect. There is a lot of noise which is neither harsh or "radical" in sound nor imagery, so your generalisation doesn't make sense.
>>
It's actually meant to be experienced in concert, where the harsh volumes used so that the sounds create a physical sensation in the body. Anyone who actually listens to it for musical value is just kidding themselves.
>>
>>64320805
If you were to ask people why they like guitar music, let alone specific genres like post-punk or indie rock, you would general answers similar to those who like noise
>i like the way it sounds
>the feels
>the "mood" set by the music
If you were to confront a guitar music fan about any of their generic reasons, you would like an autist such as the way you present yourself now, OP.

Noise music is no different under the hood than any other genre.
>>
>>64322076
Death Industrial (ie Puce Mary (see OP) or Pharmakon) is one of the genres of noise which plays with dynamics such as quiet/loud or abrasive/pleasing, you're either meaning a very specific branch of noise or just pulling arguments out of your ass.
>>
>>64321796
>calls others stupid for liking noise
>praises himself for liking other music

Jesus dude you're mad at the mirror.
>>
>>64322158
This guy gets it. Noise is sound, and therefore it can be arranged and implemented in a musical context. OP, Just listen to Frozen Niagara Falls and shut your face
>>
>>64320844
>>
>>64321019
you made noise for a while
shut the fuck up
>>
>>64321463
>needing to defend tastes
I make noise 'cause it's fun and a good way to release stress. I listen to noise because it helps me clear my mind and sleep. Nothing else to it.
>>
>>64320805
Found the indie fan, go cry wank some more to your soft "music".
>>
>>64320805
I listen to music! Kanye, Kendrick, the list goes on!
>>
>>64321692
>I have honestly been hoping for something more worthwhile than people just asking me "why do you care?" over and over again.
Nothing more is necessary.
>>
>>64320805
It's funny because noise fans are some of the most nice, modest, and friendly people i've ever had conversations with. I can't say the same for you OP.
>>
>>64321692
Dude you're lookin like a complete jackass right now. Several people have already stated: it helps people sleep, it's fun to make and watch people perform it, there's a lower technical skill to get into it so it's a really inclusive genre and lets people who don't want to spend years and years of their life wasting time in lessons and theory classes enjoy the benefits of making music. Fuck.
>>
Just wanted to say that I want to fuck Pharmakon's brains out

That's all
>>
>>64320805
i don't have a superiority complex about it :(

I just like noise.
>>
Noise is for kids who wish metal wasn't so embarrassing and juvenile to like
>>
i have been trying to get into noise off and on for a long time. still can't really do it.
but i always thought it was an interesting concept. it's an answer to the question, what's music without rhythm, notes, or anything recognizable as music?
>>
>>64325207
Same here. I've tried multiple times, but I still can't get into it. I appreciate a lot of the artists because some of the sounds they can produce are insane, especially when it's not all desktop. Personally, it's just not my thing. I did like the Merzbow/Full of Hell split though. That was the first time I've ever listened to Merzbow..
>>
>>64325003
I feel you.
>>
>>64324863
it's not about the people who listen to it. it's the "music" itself
>>
>>64326364
thicc in all the right places
nice.......
>>
>>64326303
I really like that album a lot, but Merzbow doesn't really feature on it all that much. He's on Sister Fawn more, which is also really good.
>>
>>64320844
Agreed.
>>
>>64320805

From my interactions with noise fans they don't seem pretentious at all. They joke about their music not being understood by "normies" but that's something everyone does when they have a niche interest.

In fact, generally speaking, dance, rap, pop, and metal fans never act high and mighty about their genres in front of people who don't care about them. They stick to their general threads and foster usually meaningful discussions.

But indiefags. Indiefags ruin everything. They overrun threads with mediocre lo-fi rock bands and shit P4K hype bands that are basically poppy offshoots of experimental scenes. They act like anything that isn't released in an album format doesn't exist. They don't give a shit about music that doesn't feature guitars. They value music entirely on the basis of feels instead of even trying to articulate why they like or dislike something. They amass music solely for cred. And they act like all other music is second-rate.

Indiefags are garbage.
>>
I'm I the only one that is embarassed to admit liking noise in public?
>>
>>64328783
Just goes to show how insincere you are in your interest in it.
>>
As somone who can listen to SIA, Beethoven, Merzbow, Horatiu Radulescu, Karlheinz Stockhausen's Aus den Sieben, John Cage's Variations, Heinrich von Biber, Friedrich Chopin,.... fucking etc.

/mu/ really is a self obsessed, auto-cannibalistic, mine controlled by the "borderlines".

hastagAllPraiseNeutralMilkHotel hashtagAllPraiseAnimalCollective
hashtagWTFisNoise
hastagNOISEISEVERYTHING
hashtag/mu/isadepressingpitofhipstervsantihipster
>>
>>64320857
https://41.media.tumblr.com/b1858f2f197c0b2a04d1c6f53cc18207/tumblr_mq0yszI1Qk1ro751go1_500.jpg
>>
who cares
>>
File: autumn-rhythm.jpg (318 KB, 1100x549) Image search: [Google]
autumn-rhythm.jpg
318 KB, 1100x549
Why is abstract expressionism so shit and why do its fans have such hilarious superiority complexes built on the basis of liking to formless, aimless splattering of paint on a canvas?
Is abstract expressionism just a scam meant to take advantage of and empty the wallets of the gullible "y-you just don't get modern art, pleb!" crowd? Or are the artists making it equally as tryhard and up their own asses as the people who like to this dogshit?
>>
>>64330371
Actually to continue; we could all we out there bring music to the masses in the pluralistic fashion that contemporary/internet culture provides or we could more importantly spend countless vacuous hours telling each other that our subjectivity isn't our own and that beauty has an objective stamp.

My BF introduced me to this board a few months ago..... you really need to get over yourselves.

The noisey/indie wankers (yes i'm HEAVILY generalising) need to get over themselves and everyone else (yes again a broad statement) needs to learn about non-12-TET and heterophony...

What a pretty starting point...
>>
why get so angry over people liking a thing
>>
>>64320844
It's the opposite for me, I can easily make synth or piano melodies, but making noise takes more thinking and planning to make something worthy.
>>
>>64330683
same actually. Normal melodies are all just repeated but in noise composition I find I have to tweak what every tenth of a second sounds like to get it just right. But it's not a style of music I expect to ever gain universal recognition so oh well
>>
>>64320805
that's the biggest problem with the genre right now.

there's tons of subgenres of noise of people actually taking the absolute basics of sound and experimenting with them in order to form new ideas and expressions, and doing actual creative and amazing things with it

The noise scene on the whole is made up of people across all demographics, but the only parts of the scene that get any attention are the autismos who just use their lack of talent or creativity as an excuse to make themselves look like idiots and call it "2deep4u" when you try to apply any criticism to it.

you have to dig deeper than what you see on youtube or independent documentaries on vimeo about noise, you have to quite literally wade through the massive piles of shit to find that one person who takes the principals of "noise" music and actually tries to create and compose using them.

it's why works like John Cage's "4'33", The Disintegration Loops, and the entirety of Musique Concrete subgenre are all considered so important in the scope of "noise" music. It's because the people behind these works aren't just yelling and holding microphones up to angle grinders, they're taking the concept of raw sound and using it in place of more traditional instrumentation to create compositions. It's experimenting with the way we perceive music as a whole, about taking the dissonant and restructuring it to make it harmonic in ways that it shouldn't. And that's what's worth listening to when it comes to "noise"
>>
>>64330775
Exactly!!
>>
lmao most artists I've heard discuss their noise or even the fans I know irl (1 person) are pretty articulate and don't just pull the 2deep4u card
>>
>>64320805
all the noise music ive heard has literally just been people fucking around with effects and shit

theres no structure and no songs, its just noise and its not even pleasant noise
>>
>>64330977
all the free improv I've heard has literally just been people fucking around with their instruments and shit

theres no structure and no songs, its just noise and its not even pleasant noise
>>
>>64320844
I don't think you use a computer to make noise. You criticize but you don't know what you're talking about
>>
when will the not liking noise meme end
>>
>>64321796
>>64321463
>>64320962
>>64320805
How about you give an actual argument on why noise is bad other than throw the typical "edgy, tryhard, no talent" buzzwords over and over again?

Not all noise artists use a fucking computer to make it. Not all noise is good. Few artists are doing something challenging these days.

>muh actual music!

You've been making the same threads. It's getting annoying. The music you listen to is probably shit or inferioir to noise, anyway.
>>
>>64331286
>The music you listen to is probably shit or inferioir to noise, anyway.
elitism at work right here, folks
>>
>>64331948
>>64331286
noise is just another genre, it's not "better" than anything. "better" and "good" and "bad" are dumb words to use when talking about noise/music in general
>>
>>64331948
as if op wasn't being an elitist shithead in the first place
>>
>>64320805
>why do noise music fans have such hilarious superiority complexes
It's because people like you criticize their taste so they have to assume that there's something wrong with you, since they genuinely enjoy it.
>>
>>64320844
>talent matters
>>
>>64333382
it does to people who like classical and dream theater
>>
>>64333382
talent only matters because there are some aspects of the realm of sound that can only be expressed by those talented folks. but of course, there are also those aspects that actually could not be expressed by those talented folks. neither is necessarily better than the other either.
>>
>>64320805
kind of always wanted to go to a noise show
>>
any of you saw Pharmakon recently? What does she performs nowaday?
>>
I wonder if Pharmakon knows the majority of her male fanbase just want to creep on her so fucking bad
>>
Noise was co-opted by SJW types a couple of years ago. It's egalitarian bullshit now. Everyone is equal because there are no standards that would separate the good from the bad. The worst is how politicized everything has become "AFRO-GENDER QUEER NOISE NIGHT!"

It's an entirely image driven scene now. All the patricians of the noise scene have moved onto more mature forms of improvisation.
>>
>>64335425
>tfw you wish you lived a city where there was a music scene and afro-gender-queer noise night
>>
>>64335425
Wait so noise isn't purveyed by misanthropic pedophiles anymore?
>>
>>64335425
> there are no standards that would separate the good from the bad
but thats true
>>
>>64322076
this. I didnt give a shit about noise music until I saw a band called Destruction Unit open for deafheaven. I mocked their name all night before they came on. Then they started playing...

They were so loud, you couldnt really hear anything. You could only 'feel' the changes in pressure when the room changed chords. It was one of the weirdest, but greatest feelings Ive felt.

I took my last gf to a show of theirs on valentines but she got knocked out and didnt enjoy it. Theyre still pretty cool though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBPPirEU3hA
>>
>>64322076
>kidding themselves
is it impossible to imagine that people might actually enjoy it musically? or do you have supreme knowledge of everyone's subjective experiences?
>>
File: 1459446078917.jpg (28 KB, 476x476) Image search: [Google]
1459446078917.jpg
28 KB, 476x476
>>64320805
>>
>>64330775
This
>>
>>64330775
yeah this

most people have heard of merzbow, not so many have heard of bernhard günter or ralph wehowsky

that said, some harsh noise is incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSG3m5ujegA
>>
File: kMkHc.jpg (171 KB, 750x971) Image search: [Google]
kMkHc.jpg
171 KB, 750x971
The point of avant-garde music is to tear down the established rules of convention. Because of this, in every avant garde genre, from free jazz to noise to industrial to musique concrete to no wave to chance music to lowercase to vapourwave, there are people who are masters at what they do and chose to break down the boundaries, and then there are people who have no real talent and just want to make a mess. And then there's a third group, people who are incapable of succeeding within convention, but who craft something in the new format that has its own value.

In noise there are some people who are masters at what they do, and are proficient within normal music, but choose this format for its freedom. Iannis Xenakis' electronic experiments are an example of this, though that's stretching the noise genre I realize. I suspect Merzbow could also be described like this.
I've definitely seen the second category live plenty of times - dumb kids making stupid, directionless noise and calling it art.
The third category is particularly interesting. Aube is a great example of this category - he's a non-musician, but he's obsessed with discovering new things he can do with sound, making him one of the most important sound artists ever. This niche gave him an audience with the noise crowd. I would also put the early no wave band Mars in this category - they were an untrained, un musical band who would just fuck around making noise, and when they stumbled upon something interesting or powerful, they recorded it.
>>
>>64331008
isnt noise pretty much free improv?

either way theyre both shit
>>
>>64331286
I'm sure there are good noise artists and there are definitely artists in other genres that are total shit, but all the noise I've heard has been pretty shitty so stop being so butthurt and let other people have their opinions. Remember otosmo one man's trash is another's treasure
>>64331948
more like elite autism, amiright
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.