[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would sister Ray be one of the first heavy metal song? Well,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 1000x1000
Would sister Ray be one of the first heavy metal song? Well, Proto-heavy metal. Or is there other ones that predate this that are consider heavy metal?
>>
Sister Ray is good sang
- Cal
>>
I was about to suggest either I wanna be your dog or Helter Skelter. Turns out they were after Sister Ray. So, yeah. I guess Sister Ray is the first heavy metal song. Nowadays I'd say its more noise rock than heavy metal though.
>>
>>64297873
I wanna be your dog leans more towards punk and garage than heavy metal.
>>
>>64297615
There must be something earlier. Probably something rather obscure with a very limited circulation. I almost always find that just when I think I found one of the earliest examples of something, something earlier comes up that seems similar enough in attitude to be called an influence.
If anybody can find that for this song, it should be somebody on /mu/.
>>
>>64297953
In the 60's the line between the two was very thin.
>>
>>64297873
OH! I just realized! Vincebus Eruptum was released before Sister Ray! so there's that.
>>
>>64298108
By 14 days!
I feel like we can go deeper.
>>
>>64298130
Like I did to your mum.
>>
>>64298203
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
File: sang1.png (728 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
sang1.png
728 KB, 1366x768
>>64298203
>>
>>64298203
liek I did to yer nan when she was strokin me horn
>>
>>64298622
FUK u said 2 me?
>>
I don't really think it is a heavy metal song by any definition, but it certainly does predate a lot of simple and noisy rock songs

>>64297873
I remember reading that Helter Skelter was inspired by some shit about I Can See For Miles by The Who being the heaviest of rocks

I could definitely see some The Who track being an earlier candidate - they were not as rough and noisy as Sister Ray, but neither is heavy metal in general.
>>
>>64299675
Well, what would you consider the first heavy metal song?
>>
apparently there is no missing link in heavy metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lVdMbUx1_k
>>
>>64300582
see
>>64300658

The first true metal riff(s). Earlier efforts by the Kinks and the Stooges have too much swing and syncopation. Sabbath's eponymous track is a funeral dirge in comparison. I don't see why you'd look any further.
>>
>>64300843
for me the biggest thing is tritones

there's some other elements in earlier songs but it seems like this is a requirement for the literal genre birth
>>
Not really metal, more punk.
>>
>>64300843
OK, fair enough. In fact, is there anyone on /mu/ who disagrees with the the notion that this is the first heavy metal song?
>>
This is the first metal song, came out in 1958
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTg6rZJCu4
>>
File: edit.png (150 KB, 549x560) Image search: [Google]
edit.png
150 KB, 549x560
>>64301059
just what the fuck is your concept of metal
>>
>>64301059
Too bluesy, not heavy at all. Fucking awesome song though.
Really though, while this>>64300658
is a good contender(and probably the one most people would pick), >>64298108
is still heavy enough to count, and early enough to win.
>>
>>64301162
to get this thread back to it's miserable roots, Rumble isn't much less a "heavy metal song" than Sister Ray
>>
>>64301171
>Vincebus Eruptum
anything in particular?

distortion =/= heavy metal
>>
>>64301162
It came out in 1958, "metal" didn't exist then. It was the heaviest for it's time.
>>
>>64301217
yeah. I forgot to call out OP on his shit for that one. The heavy in heavy metal isn't there because of noisiness, what the fuck?

I think Blue Cheer are the same thing as Hendrix: bad ass tones but still rock. The metal riff only started with sabbath
>>
>>64297615
weird that Lou reed helped make metal and then concluded it with metal machine music.
>>
>>64301238
OK, I'm listening to it right now, and yeah, I have o admit, it's not really dark enough to be metal. I guess Black Sabbath wins here.
>>
>>64301059
I FUCK THE MUSIC
>>
>>64300880
>>64300843
Agreed, some songs from other bands had metal elements, but Sabbath really had the first metal song
>>
>>64300880
This is why you really can't separate metal's birth from blues. OG blues was on that devil music shit before metal, it's an important progenitor for the genre. Whether you think metal started with Helter Skelter, Sabbath, Cream, or Led Zeppelin (spoiler alert: it's Sabbath), you can still trace it to the blues.
>>
>>64301658
>OG blues was on that devil music shit before metal
>devil music
like what? tritones?
>>
>>64301658
almost everything going on today can be traced back to the blues though.
>>
I MAKE IT CUM
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.