[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A concept album is a studio album where all musical or lyrical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9
>A concept album is a studio album where all musical or lyrical ideas contribute to a single overall theme or unified story

I'm not sure I've heard an album released in the past 30 years that didn't fit this, yet there is still a distinction being made between an album and a concept album.
ITT: give examples of "regular" albums, that are just collections of songs made by an artist around the time the album was released.
>>
File: TheBeatles68LP.jpg (30 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
TheBeatles68LP.jpg
30 KB, 720x720
Posting the most obvious.
>>
File: cover.jpg (463 KB, 1482x1500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
463 KB, 1482x1500
a lot of double albums from the past fall into this hole
>>
the reason why the distinction is made is because most mainstream pop albums don't fit the definition of a concept album
they're just bundles of songs that people like
>>
dr dre's compton soundtrack
>>
>>64297700
No way, that was probably the most "conceptual" album of his career.
>>
>>64298028
bollocks, it was just a collection of random bangers
the only theme revolving around compton is mentioned when some random darkie screams "compton" randomly in the chorus to that song where the sound of waves can be heard
>>
File: ferstrive.jpg (29 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ferstrive.jpg
29 KB, 600x600
The new A$AP Ferg album.
>>
File: whitebloodcells.jpg (70 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
whitebloodcells.jpg
70 KB, 550x550
most of jack white's albums, to be honest
>>
>>64296692
You just don't have an ear for nuance. Most albums are just collections of songs in the same genre, and there's a spectrum. Take Yeezus, which I see as a production concept, but lyrically it doesn't necessarily contribute to one central idea like DSOTM does. Some people call In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and OK Computer concept albums so there's even debate, Pet Sounds could certainly be considered one, and even Sgt. Pepper doesn't necessarily hit every checkmark for a concept album.
>>
>>64299305
Yeezus is all about shitting on consumerism though, as well as Ye's own problems.

The moment there is a title, a theme is already imposed on the package of songs. Often, the same musical style is used throughout most of the album. And lyrics are hardly random, there's always two-three connected themes that everything on the album orbits around. That's how I can describe pretty much every album I've listened to.
>>
>>64299305
John Lennon didn't even think Sgt Pepper was a concept album
>>
File: george.jpg (18 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
george.jpg
18 KB, 350x350
any greatest hits album
>>
mainstream rap and pop like young thug or taylor swift
>>
>TLOP is just a collection of songs
U dont get it
>>
>>64296692
are you an idiot
WHICH/ONE
gospel/soul or poprap/ braggadocios modern rap
married humble life or rich bachelor sex life
PABLO ESCOBAR or PABLO PICASSO?
See, this is the reason you faggots hate Kanye, you can't see his genius. You hate what you don't understand.
>>
File: alex-g-beach-music.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
alex-g-beach-music.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1200
This album more than anything just feels like 90's variety hour. One could argue that's what Alex was going for but with a title like Beach Music and more cohesive releases behind his belt it makes one wonder.
>>
>>64300688
you're just salty because you wasted you money on the used tampon that is TIDAL
>>
>>64300626
>>64300688
>I'm not sure I've heard an album released in the past 30 years that didn't fit this
everything Ye has done has been conceptual as fuck
i posted TLOP because i wanted to post something /mu/-related
>>
>>64300815
confirmed fucking idiot
808s & heartbreak, arguably his best album is about fucking 808s and heartbreaks, he pioneered moody rap
College Dropout
Late Registration
Graduation
All fucking education themed, with college dropout being soulful, late registration orchestral, and graduation more electronic.
>>
>>64301196
Not him but I wouldn't call any of his first three albums conceptual. There's similar themes across all three albums individually and cohesively but not conceptual albums. Especially CD
>>
>>64301196

you don't know what a conceptual album is
>>
>>64301196
>everything Ye has done has been conceptual as fuck
reading comprehension failed
see me in my office

>>64301280
CD is a bit all over the place but it follows the theme of the "pink polo with a Benz and a backpack". LR is about Ye's late registration to the rap game. Graduation has 3 sorts of songs: those that reflect on his past & present, those that thank the people who helped him get there, and unrelated storytelling, with Good Morning, Good Life and Good Night holding it all together. The music video for Good Morning implies the album is basically Ye's graduation speech too (graduation of the rap game obviously, turning from a rapper to a superstar)
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 1200x1200
And Sunny Day Real Estate's 2nd LP
>>
File: Kanye-west-by-steven-klein-2.jpg (253 KB, 800x555) Image search: [Google]
Kanye-west-by-steven-klein-2.jpg
253 KB, 800x555
>>64301196
wow you're fucking retarded in responding negatively to that guy.

but I agree, all of Kanye's projects have solid concepts behind them.
>>
>>64296692

You're confusing concept with theme(s)
>>
>>64300688
>>64301541
oh, and you're also based for liking 808s. Definitely a top 2 Ye album. He makes better sad pop than Adele lmao.
>>
>>64301561
Can I get an example of how those are different?
>>
>>64301369
you also have this problem
>>64301561
>>
>>64301835
well i am the OP so yeah

>>64301787
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.