[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of vinyl when tapes exist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: CassetteTypes1.jpg (2 MB, 2440x1452) Image search: [Google]
CassetteTypes1.jpg
2 MB, 2440x1452
What's the point of vinyl when tapes exist?
>>
>>64290808
Shut up
>>
>>64290808
so you can have a physical collection without going full on bandcamp vaporwave meme
>>
tapes are shit quality
vinyl is for cuck hipsters

CD wins
>>
i collect both tapes and vinyl

tapes are cool because they're kind of like a time capsule for a very specific era in music, so finding a tape you like just makes it that much more special. every now and then i'll get a tape from bandcamp too

vinyl is cool because of the cover art, and it's nice to listen to when i'm just relaxing in my room
>>
>>64290887
Vinyl is for plebs, cds are for contrarians, cassettes are for patricians.
>>
What is the point of listening to other people play music when instruments exist?
>>
File: vapor.jpg (598 KB, 5000x2813) Image search: [Google]
vapor.jpg
598 KB, 5000x2813
>>64290867

>bandcamp vaporwave meme

you mean like this?
>>
>>64290808
Tapes have lower quality
>>
>>64291111
yeah exactly but props to that dude since he probably bought all those death grips cassettes to rip off retarded fans on ebay

I did that with the interview cassette because fuck cassettes and DG fans, and money is cool
>>
>>64290808
they only last like 40 plays. cd masterrace
>>
>>64291115
cassette tapes tho, not tape in general
>>
File: tyrone.jpg (90 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
tyrone.jpg
90 KB, 620x670
>>64291111
>mfw people list floral shoppe cassettes for $420
>and people buy them
>>
>>64291111
>Drake and Josh
Holy shit, I was not expecting that
>>
>>64291111
holy shit, a lot of $$$ in this picture
>>
I collect tapes because car has a tape player and because they're way cheaper.
>>
>>64290887
there is literally no reason for bands/labels to ever release CDs in 2016. Nobody who goes to shows buys them and they cost a fuckton to manufacture
>>
>>64291441

>they cost a fuckton to manufacture

Source? I've heard CDs are cheap as fuck to mass produce, certainly cheaper than tapes and vinyl but you're right that CDs are expensive compared to streaming.
>>
>>64291111
I am actually jealous.
>>
>>64291310

What's so special about that tape?
>>
>>64291441
It depends on how many you are making, if you make around 300 cds the price isn't that much different then making 300 cassettes. Though tapes are much cheaper if you want a tiny pressing of like 50 copies.
>>
>>64291441
Depends on the kind of music you are making, if you are making indie folk or indie rock some other shit genre you're better releasing it on cassette so the hipsters will buy it at your show.
>>
>>64291486

He probably lives in Japan where CDs are actually expensive.
>>
>>64291486
CDs make you almost no money on tour because they cost more to make, and as such you need to charge more and still have a smaller profit margain on each sale. Between the higher price and the pointlessness of the format in the age of lossless bandcamp downloads, nobody ever buys them, compared to cassettes where you can easily sell out of a pressing in a few shows and get three times what you spent.

>>64291676
I am talking about punk/noise rock/literally anything currently relevant in underground DIY culture. Cassettes are the best option for any real touring act because they are the cheapest to produce with the highest returns.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.