[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Record players / Vinyls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Record player.jpg (26 KB, 564x423) Image search: [Google]
Record player.jpg
26 KB, 564x423
So I'm into classic rock and I was wondering whether it's worth it to buy a record player and a few albums on vinyl. For a more authentic sound.
What are your thoughts /mu/?
>>
>>64283046
Consider getting beforehand some knowledge about vinyls, players and accessories needed for the job. The gain from vinyls is that it's lossless recordings that bring an organic sound read from the LP.
Few negative aspects about owning vinyls are that they require tender caring, like not having them in heated spaces, preferrably in shaded, cool places in a shelf. If you got a stacked bunch, the pressure of the weight can cause damage.
Speaking of damage, the surface is sensitive to scratches and dust collecting due to statics. Get a brush for that.
Quality of the press also vary out of the press, and newer vinyls rip off the digital master, not making in fully analog as the shit is known for. (You won't be bothered with it the intent is to only buying older albums exept if it's remastered)

A personal tip is that collecting vinyls is expensive. Make sure to not fall for some mind traps about needing absolutely every album on vinyl.
>>
>>64283046
You're gonna have to make a big investment, because the cheapest decent setup is at least 300 dollars.
>>
If you start collecting vinyl after 2010 you are a poseur
>>
>>64283046
1) Used prices are absolutely bonkers these days so prepare to pay out the ass if you like original pressings. Reissues can be hit or miss, check out the Steve Hoffman Forums and other vinyl sites to see if they're any good.

2) Any brand new turntable under $200 will not be good. The best deals are on used 70s-80s turntables.

3) "A more authentic sound" isn't a reason to listen to vinyl. A clean vinyl pressing and a good quality MP3 will pretty much sound the same (although I suppose for modern releases, the vinyl mastering is usually superior).
>>
>>64283643
>>64283680
>>64283743
Cheers guys, Ill be sure to keep these in mind.
Thanks for the advice.
So if I do go through with it, what albums should i start with?
>>
>>64283046
Don't bother unless you can afford a decent turntable. Expect to spend at least 1000 USD for brand new equipment. If you want to save money you could buy a 70s turntable but if you do, go for something manual (avoid automatic functions like the plague as they will just cause problems with such old equipment).
>>
File: 1461351877351.jpg (134 KB, 1050x700) Image search: [Google]
1461351877351.jpg
134 KB, 1050x700
>>64283688
This, what the fuck does "authentic sound" even mean? Bravo to the Jewish PR team that found a way to make people feel like music connoisseurs just by spending money on overpriced outdated tech like vinyl
>>
>>64283849
The ones you like the most or have of a different format. As it's harder to obtain original press due to their value or shipment etc., the remasters would do to a lesser degree.

I started gathering last year, and have just bought shit I like and accessable for me. Main reason was to get a limited edition of a game (Hotline Miami 2), then I went down the /mu/ essentials. This might be easier for you if you're living in a popular urban city in contrast to the sticks.
>>
>>64283946
It shot up due to the hipster shit back in 2006/2008, as some found out: "Hey! Retro is better, so vinyls must be inherently superior to MP3." said the sad sap who had no knowledge nor ears regarding music/audio.
>>
>>64283046
Don't buy a new turntable that cost $100 or $150. Those are usually garbage that will damage your record. If you want a new turntable worth owning, you're looking at spending at least $300. If you go vintage, research the models that are available to you. Regardless of how new or old you go, make sure you have a way to replace the cartridge and/or needle.
>>
>>64284813
It's not better or worse than mp3, vinyl just has a different sound. Personally I like vinyl because it's a lot more involved than downloading an album, it's fun to go to record shops and spend an hour sifting through LPs. I don't think it sounds better than any other format, collecting vinyl is just a hobby that I enjoy.
>>
>>64285111
I just pulled MP3 up as an insert to the line. Not intentionally wanting to create a comparison. Sorry.
On another note, I can resonate to the same feeling there. Being in the physical surrounding of records, exploring for my picks and actually holding them are overwhelmingly intriguing.
>>
>>64285196
>>64285111
>>64284888
Yeah one of the main reasons that I think collecting vinyls will be fun is that you do feel more involved, its a lot more tactile, you actually have to care for your music, not just simply click a button.
Oh and cheers for the advice regarding the turntable.
I also hear that they have a warmer tone, is this true or just made up bs?
>>
>>64285368
The reason why the warm tone appears is the signal processing from the record reading. It creates a distored sound that makes the bass sound what people describe as "warm" due to the vibrations. Although I have a rought time hearing the differences when I play Velvet Underground's Loaded or Beatles' Revolver because my right ear is sharper, it feels more compact.
>>
>>64283046
Queen record and a Crosley
>>
>>64283046
>>64283643
>>64285368
ITT: Faggots
>>
>>64285111
Listen to this man OP. For quality, FLAC is literally the only way to go. Vinyl isn't about the best sound, it's an autistic hobby like photography with film
but that's fine
>>
>>64283643
Is there anyone on this board that actually knows how to spell Vinyl?
>>
File: image.jpg (919 KB, 1693x1553) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
919 KB, 1693x1553
>>64283046
DO NOT BUY AN ALL IN ONE SETUP
these are almost always shitty quality and will ruin your records.

Unless you're willing to spend upwards of 200-300 dollars on new equipment at minimum to not fuck up your records, used is the way to go. Though you may be taking a risk, you could buy 3 faulty used setups and still spend the same as 1 new one. Google every turntable and receiver you see on classifieds, sample them, fun with every knob, lurk forums, and know why you're buying.

70s was the golden age for this kind of equipment so try to find things from that period. 90s and modern stuff is still good, but you have to pay way more for the same sound quality as a vintage.

The sound isn't better at all, but vinyls and just beautiful objects to have and it's more about the collection and novelty aspect than it is the quality aspect. It's the same reason you used to collect hockey or baseball cards as a kid but never used them, and people buy old antiques despite them being obsolete. Don't listen to the people who are vocal about not getting it.

Pic related is more info. Hope this helps my man.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.