[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will we ever see new major genres being created like in the 20th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 6465465648412.jpg (60 KB, 478x477) Image search: [Google]
6465465648412.jpg
60 KB, 478x477
Will we ever see new major genres being created like in the 20th century or are we doomed to only see obscure mixtures of existing genres in the future?
>>
all genres are just caveman noises with other things added to them so we've been going like this for a while :^)
>>
i hope so...let's wait and see if peple born after 1998 start to make music over the next years and what will they make.
>>
>>64281906
>le rong generation

All music is a mixture of existing genres.
>>
>tfw hip hop is as old to us as ragtime was to people in the 50s
>>
File: images.jpg (17 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
17 KB, 300x400
No. Young people today are only capable of thinking in memes.
>>
>>64281983
Baby boomers need to be gassed
>>
remember it's only 2016
there's another 84 years in this century
>>
>>64282015

Boomers love you entitled fucks. And them coddling you is the reason most of you need to consult google before taking a shit.

It's Gen-Xers who hate you.
>>
>>64282351
quit bitching
We're the ones who have to pay off their social security and you're gonna be dead before we "fuck up everything". You have nothing to complain about
>>
>>64282474

>Social Security going bankrupt

This is another Millennial myth.

If you've paid into it, you'll collect on it at retirement age just like your parents did.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntharvey/2011/04/08/why-social-security-cannot-go-bankrupt/#4f1bd57f619f

And I won't be dead before "you fuck up everything up." I'm Gen-X, your supervisor at work, who has to hold your hand and walk you through the simplest shit that should be self-explanatory. You also need to be coddled and constantly pumped up with positive reinforcement.

Oh boy, but can you idiots ever work a smartphone!
>>
>>64282660
when did I say it was going bankrupt? I was referring to the fact that the baby boomer generation is the biggest one as of right now and will therefore be the most expensive.
looks like that all that crack and punk melted your brain

dont know how you will help me at work when you have the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader and have a panic attack anytime someone installs mozilla firefox on a work computer
>>
>>64282782

You should have no bone to pick with paying off Boomer SS, since we've paid off far more of it than you ever will. In fact, you're the biggest generation population wise after Boomers, so the next generation will be paying off your SS and probably complaining about it like you whiny fucks do.

No one between 35-50 is intimidated by modern computers. I know you dipshits think creating a facebook profile or using Photoshop makes you "techsavvy" geniuses, but we're the gen that grew up using UNIX, LINUX, DOS, and programming on BASIC and then on HTML, CSS, C++, etc.

I mean, your gen is in about in its mid 30s now and the most you given the world is a few social media sites. Lel.
>>
>>64282950
>we've paid off far more of it than you ever will.
How'd you manage to do that while simultaneously paying off a 7 story house with 50k a year?
>No one between 35-50 is intimidated by modern computers.
Hilarious. I can't even count the amount of times I had to show your gen where the downloads folder is
>I know you dipshits think creating a facebook profile or using Photoshop makes you "techsavvy" geniuses
Nope, but for some reason you people do
>grew up using UNIX, LINUX, DOS, and programming on BASIC and then on HTML, CSS, C++, etc.
Except how many of you actually used that on a daily basis? Chances are if you even knew these names your altruistic-generation bullied the shit out of you until you got out of high school.

Once we make a fuck up as big as the housing crisis you can complain about how stupid we are. It's amazing how you somehow painted the generation with more college grads and less violent crime as the stupid and selfish generation
>>
>>64283137
>How'd you manage to do that while simultaneously paying off a 7 story house with 50k a year?

Where did you get that idea?

>Hilarious. I can't even count the amount of times I had to show your gen where the downloads folder is

Lol anecdotes. The layout of Windows has remained pretty much unchanged since 3.1.

>Except how many of you actually used that on a daily basis? Chances are if you even knew these names your altruistic-generation bullied the shit out of you until you got out of high school.

You watch too many movies. When the personal computer started to become an important device for everyday life in the mid-80s, pretty much every school instituted a computer lab and a computer class was added to the curriculum.

>Once we make a fuck up as big as the housing crisis you can complain about how stupid we are. It's amazing how you somehow painted the generation with more college grads and less violent crime as the stupid and selfish generation.

The housing crisis wasn't caused out of "stupidity," but out of predatory lending practices that deceived prospective home buyers. Yes, these home buyers could've been more cautious.

But your gen fell for the same con in the form of student loans, so you have no room to preach in that regard. Just like those home buyers were silly to sign off on 400K loans when they make 50K year, your gen was silly to pay 100K for a Art History degree.

And the student loan debt situation is projected to be the next big crisis.

http://time.com/money/4168510/why-student-loan-crisis-is-worse-than-people-think/

You already fucked up, and you weren't even drinking age yet. Lol.
>>
>>64283443
>Lol anecdotes
Yeah, its almost as if I can only experience life from my point of view. There arent any studies on how many people 30+ can use windows explorer
> pretty much every school instituted a computer lab and a computer class was added to the curriculum.
I thought we were the ones who needed hand holding
>The housing crisis wasn't caused out of "stupidity," but out of predatory lending practices that deceived prospective home buyers.
See above. No one should have to tell you that you cant afford to spend 80% of your income on housing.
>But your gen fell for the same con in the form of student loans,
Except you need student loans to go to college and you need college do get a decent job in this day and age. The only alternative is implementing a multimillion dollar idea or having a generation of electricians and plumbers. You guys could have just bought an apartment.
>>
>>64283652
>I thought we were the ones who needed hand holding

Computer classes were typically a free-for-all. Also, a great deal of kids in that era did have inexpensive Commodores and TIs.

My point is that to operate a computer back then was a lot more involving and complex than just clicking icons. Your gen is only techsavvy as far as Web 2.0 interfaces. You don't really know shit about IT beyond that. And again, it's why your gen has only contributed vapid social media bullshit to the tech world.

>See above. No one should have to tell you that you cant afford to spend 80% of your income on housing.

Not going /pol/, since I am a bleeding heart, but the demographic that was largely targeted were immigrants and low-income minorities. Yes, they should've been more cautious, but it's very hard for a person in that situation to turn down a home being dangled in front of them.

>Except you need student loans to go to college and you need college do get a decent job in this day and age. The only alternative is implementing a multimillion dollar idea or having a generation of electricians and plumbers.

Except you don't, as you implied in your 2nd sentence. Your gen thinks its above going to trade school and learning a blue collar craft. If you guys showed more humility and practiced more realism, the majority of you wouldn't be up to your nose in debt. But you all think you're super special geniuses destined for Bill Gates greatness or some other kind of fame, be it professional sports, entertainment, etc.

I guess we can blame boomers for being overly encouraging, but growing up, you didn't want to be told otherwise. You were going to be great. Case closed.
>>
Well this thread just went off the fucking rails didn't it?
>>
>>64281983
autism
>>
this thread derailed very rapidly.
>>
>>64283966
>Your gen thinks its above going to trade school and learning a blue collar craft.
No, your gen is spreading the meme that we're above that thanks to the "be the best of the best" mentality. Parents don't want their kids to be blue collar, they want doctors and lawyers. If you think we're pussies for always needing hand holding then stop holding our fucking hands.
>>
>>64283966
>Computer classes were typically a free-for-all.
You still had them, and we didnt
>You don't really know shit beyond that
We dont need to study stuff that we wont use. This is like complaining about people not learning to drive a stick shift.
>the demographic that was largely targeted were immigrants and low-income minorities.
Dont pretend like it didnt effect a shit ton of middle class whites
>Except you don't, as you implied in your 2nd sentence.
Are you seriously implying that a generation with most of its population going to trade school can support itself, let alone the generation before it?
>If you guys showed more humility and practiced more realism, the majority of you wouldn't be up to your nose in debt
Do I even need to say it anymore? Even ignoring the irony, its not arrogant to try to take care of your parents. Especially when the people taking care of you spent WAY more than they can afford and are relying on their kids to pay their debt. And no, the several hundred thousand dollar debt we are expected to pay off wasn't caused by buying $300 smartphones or taking pictures of ourselves, but instead by your generation buying houses you cant afford. No shit people are going to try and make as much money as possible.

Every generation thinks it is better than the next. Despite us being more educated and less violent you think we are the worst because we use social media. As if your generation wouldn't have used it if it were around back then. You are literally using it right now.
>>
File: 1513534555.jpg (33 KB, 301x393) Image search: [Google]
1513534555.jpg
33 KB, 301x393
>its a "two anons argue by picking each line of the other's post apart individually" thread
>>
>>64281906
It's probably fair to say that The Beatles were regarded similarly to how Lady Gaga was received. A lot of young people thought them musical geniuses, and others thought them to be a bit of a nuisance if not an outright mar on the current mainstream music direction and tradition.

We certainly aren't doomed, just be a little more sensitive to the movement of music and don't expect monumental changes to be the only changes.
>>
>>64284735
>You still had them, and we didnt

You didn't need them because computers are as simple to use a microwave today.

>We dont need to study stuff that we wont use. This is like complaining about people not learning to drive a stick shift.

Most of you don't even know how to refill the toner in a copy machine. IT is more than just "clicking stuff on a screen." Anything mechanical confuses you.

>Dont pretend like it didnt effect a shit ton of middle class whites

Of course it did.

>Are you seriously implying that a generation with most of its population going to trade school can support itself, let alone the generation before it?

The World War II generation did. Boomers did. And given the fact all these STEM jobs are being outsourced as we speak, the demand for electricians, plumbers, welders, carpenters, and the like will always remain in demand.

I see demand for STEM jobs plummeting in Western Countries over the next couple of decades (probably not medicine so much since you can't outsource surgeons, but if remote surgery ever becomes widespread, uh oh.). No way can we compete with the price/performance of India and China.

>Do I even need to say it anymore? Even ignoring the irony, its not arrogant to try to take care of your parents. Especially when the people taking care of you spent WAY more than they can afford and are relying on their kids to pay their debt. And no, the several hundred thousand dollar debt we are expected to pay off wasn't caused by buying $300 smartphones or taking pictures of ourselves, but instead by your generation buying houses you cant afford. No shit people are going to try and make as much money as possible.

For every brat helping his boomer parents, there's 20 boomer parents paying off little Jimmy's 100K student debt and supporting his NEET lifestyle.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files/2013/01/Sandwich_Generation_Report_FINAL_1-29.pdf
>>
>>64285214
>Anything mechanical confuses you.
Nope, but as more things become more virtual this will become true. Just as you probably don't know how to take care of a farm or work in a coal mine.
>The World War II generation did. Boomers did
Yup, and if we didnt have computers ready to do the job of 20 workers then we could as well. Notice how during the colonial era most people were farmers and now almost no one is.
>For every brat helping his boomer parents, there's 20 boomer parents paying off little Jimmy's 100K student debt and supporting his NEET lifestyle.
Gen X is the one with boomer parents. Millenials have Gen X parents. Regardless, they are the ones who pushed him to get that college debt in the first place. If they didnt want to help then they shouldnt have expected it from him.
>>
>>64285350
>Yup, and if we didnt have computers ready to do the job of 20 workers then we could as well.

When's the last time a computer has come to your house and fixed your toilet or a broken pipe? Or built a house? The welding, plumbing, carpentry, and electrical sectors will always need workers. We ain't nowhere close to automating those jobs (see that DARPA robot fair where the shitty ass contraptions couldn't stay upright. And they've been trying to build functional humanoid robots for nearly 40 years).

>Gen X is the one with boomer parents. Millenials have Gen X parents. Regardless, they are the ones who pushed him to get that college debt in the first place. If they didnt want to help then they shouldnt have expected it from him.

Millennials are anyone born after 1980. Plenty of boomer parents raised Millennials.

Like I said, while parents might've been unrealistically encouraging at times, little Jimmy was going to be a rich engineer or software developer, and nothing would stop him. Then he goes out into the job market, and realizes he's one of 10,000 STEM grads competing for the same job, and to add to insult to injury, the company will likely wind up hiring a Gen Xer because of their greater experience, social skills, job commitment (average time a millennial spends at any given job is 2 years) and productivity (we don't need facebook breaks).

Also, parents don't mind taking care of you. We're just tired of your bitching and moaning. Whiniest generation in human history.
>>
>>64282268
This tbqh familia
>>
>>64281954
Not actually correct but not far from it and holy shit.
>>
>>64285603
>computer has come to your house and fixed your toilet or a broken pipe? Or built a house? The welding, plumbing, carpentry, and electrical sectors will always need workers
Technology makes all of these jobs easier in one way or another. Eg. Computers help with architecture. If you honestly think the energy or workforce required for these jobs is the same as it was in the 1960s then there's no point in us to keep talking.
>greater experience, social skills,
This all comes with age so its a given
>job commitment (average time a millennial spends at any given job is 2 years)
Thats because half of the millenials work at Starbucks as a summer job since they are still in high school or college
>productivity (we don't need facebook breaks)
How many times has a millenial said "I need a facebook break" at your work? And if you count the time you wait for IE 5 to load this would balance out anyways
>Also, parents don't mind taking care of you
Never said they did. Stop putting words in my mouth. You were the one implying that too many parents were taking care of their kids.
>Whiniest generation in human history.
Literally said by every generation since the beginning of humanity about the next generation. And yet the world is getting better and better.
>>
>>64285905
>Technology makes all of these jobs easier in one way or another. Eg. Computers help with architecture. If you honestly think the energy or workforce required for these jobs is the same as it was in the 1960s then there's no point in us to keep talking.

Easier, but you're under-estimating the manpower reduction computers have in those "hands on" sectors, especially considering the population growth since 1960. More houses, more pipes, more wires=need for more workers.

> Thats because half of the millenials work at Starbucks as a summer job since they are still in high school or college.

The study was about post grad millennials. But young workers have always had a similar turnover anyhow, so this isn't unique to millennials.

>How many times has a millenial said "I need a facebook break" at your work? And if you count the time you wait for IE 5 to load this would balance out anyways

It's a thing.

http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/2354-facebook-employees-productive.html

>Literally said by every generation since the beginning of humanity about the next generation. And yet the world is getting better and better.

True, but I think you guys rule the mountain here. Also, you can credit the health of the modern world to past generations. Millennials have really only given us facebook and reddit.

Anyhow, I think we've shitposted enough. I'll give you the last word. Also, don't take me too seriously. I am just giving you some friendly "big brother" shit.
>>
people will keep coming up with new ideas and ways to merge genres but none of it will have any staying power. music is, by and large, fast food these days - even the 'good' stuff.

thanks to the interwebs, smart devices and the mp3 nobody really *has* to sit and fall in love with a set of albums over the span of several years like they had to back when listeners actually had to go to the store and buy a physical copy (or at least discs to burn an album to).

the latter being the case: after a well-received debut album, musicians are now forced to churn out shitty release after shitty release in order to stay relevant in the torrential flood of mediocre bedroom acts or else watch their hype dissolve exponentially. there's no such thing as a band taking 5-10 years off between albums and still remaining relevant anymore, which is too bad when you consider that a musician's initial efforts are always the culmination of a life's worth of ideas.

this is what happens to musicians these days - even good musicians. think about how amazing Battles' debut (Mirrored) was and how forced and unnatural the follow-ups sound. a group that started out doing something very tight and idiosyncratic quickly turned into a formula-driven instrumental 311 with traces of electro and salsa.

fucking who cares anyway.
>>
>>64284889
Lady Gaga is a pop artist. The Beatles started as pop but moved on to other styles. Sort of apples and oranges here.
>>
>>64286209
>but you're under-estimating the manpower reduction computers have in those "hands on" sectors
No, you are
>It's a thing.
Apparently, if you never had to deal with it then why do you care. The link you gave me says that Facebook breaks increase productivity regardless.
>Also, you can credit the health of the modern world to past generations.
Millennials have really only given us facebook and reddit.
Thats because Millennials have been around for the shortest amount of time, obviously we have the smallest impact. You have to wait until our lives are mostly over before you can accurately determine our worth.
>>
>>64286370

Great, great points.

Although it sounds democratically ideal on paper, I think high speed Internet connections, the MP3 format, file sharing, and now streaming sites have done more harm than good to the artform, for the reasons you've mentioned.

Music has now become totally disposable background noise, with consumers quickly moving from one song/album to the next. And the primary methods that consumers use to listen (earbuds, bad car stereos, laptop or smartphone speakers) has resulted in any number of bad mastering techniques.

And the dilution that what you called "bedroom acts" have caused has created a music landscape that is impossible to keep up with. Again, sounds like a great thing, "All this music at my fingertips. What a great time to be alive!"

But in order to stay up to date, you have to burn through albums like a smoker burns through cigarettes. Gone are the days where you'd buy an album and live with it for a week or two until you bought the next one.

Someone will reply that they force themselves to listen to an album many times, but for a music fan, that's not typical anymore. Music fans have always been obsessed about keeping current, and every week there's literally a 100 new releases, from the major labels to bandcamp amateurs.

And the industry response is to make music catchier, louder, and glossier.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.