[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Three reasons why live albums are stupid: >Despite their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: Live Albums.jpg (261 KB, 1525x629) Image search: [Google]
Live Albums.jpg
261 KB, 1525x629
>Three reasons why live albums are stupid:

>Despite their apparent raison d’être, they have no chance of replicating the feeling of being there.
>They can be manipulated after the fact, rendering them inauthentic.
>They cost too much. Way too much.

Do you agree?
>>
You're right, I am never ever going to listen to a live album ever again. Golly thanks OP! :)
>>
File: goat.jpg (113 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
goat.jpg
113 KB, 640x640
No, I don't agree. Pic is my favorite album.
>>
>>64279278
Thank you for that wonderful contribution.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2014/01/24/bruce_springsteen_misstep_overstates_value_of_live_album_in_youtube_era.html

Bascially, his argument boils down to 'lol, YouTube it'
>>
Most good bands play different versions of their material when they play live to keep thing interesting for them. So, record the live show and then fans who can't see them live can still hear what they missed, fuck man have you never heard of th Grateful Dead?
>>
Dunno if they technically count, because they weren't concerts, but Radiohead's 'in the Basement' stuff is probably some of their best music.
>>
>>64279262
>do you agree?

No.
>>
>>64279314
Hella dumb views in that link
Then changes tone to show how above modern pop he is. Pretty sure this writer is just a cunto.
>>
>>64279262
>they have no chance of replicating the feeling of being there.
I don't listen to live albums so I can pretend I was there, I listen to them because I want to hear live versions of their songs

>They cost too much. Way too much.
They don't cost anymore then regular albums, unless it's multiple discs. And there's plenty of places on the net to listen to music for free legally.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (99 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
99 KB, 600x800
>>64279262
> AC/DC Live not If You Want Blood You've Got It
>>
>>64279262
>I know, I'll use 'raison d’être' that'll make me look smart
>>
>cost
are you really buying your music? streaming and illegal downloading is +++
>unauthentic
who gives a fuck. i want to hear the music, i don't care for an honest representation of their material
>doesn't feel like being there
very true, but that isn't why i like live albums. the songs are often different live, and they tend to be more energetic than the studio stuff. bands like grateful dead were completely dofferent live, and are renowned for their live recordings - there they're better.

bad bands tend to have boring live albums, but there certainly are good ones. alive 2007, kick out the jams, made in japan are all special, and better from being live albums. bruce springsteen would for a long time sound so very different, and good live that his bootlegs were almost more popular than his studio recordings.
>>
Live albums have their place for me in certain contexts. I'm not usually a big fan of soccer stadium live albums with tens of thousands of screaming fans. I like my live albums as more intimate shows with a few dozen people done with some actual sound engineering. Sometimes I like hearing the musicians talking to the audience, different workings of certain songs, tiny little mistakes that sound good, etc. Live albums also sometimes contain songs that aren't on any of the artists' studio albums too. They have their place in my book.
>>
>>64280942
read the things under the pictures, stupid frog poster
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.