[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Post an artist's most influential album and explain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10
ITT: Post an artist's most influential album and explain why, list other artists it influenced, etc.

>pic related
>it basically created the zeuhl genre
>influenced bands like Guapo, Koenjihyakkei, Bondage Fruit etc.
>>
ur such a magma shill proge
>>
>>64276320
i just like them alot ok
please contribute to the thread
>>
>>64276320
good thread idea tho
>>
>>64276299
fuck off progetard, drop your trip and leave 4chan forever

magma is pretentious wank and the bands it inspired are irrelevant
>>
File: Fanboy and Chum Chum.jpg (288 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Fanboy and Chum Chum.jpg
288 KB, 1024x768
Fanboy and Chum Chum Soundtrack
>GOAT cartoon, with Elder God tier soundtrack
>Tremendously influential on the hit indie band Animal Collective, its rumoured the entire group composed the music to the 2016 hit Painting With while under the effects of psychedelic drugs, with the show's theme song on repeat in the background.
>>
>>64276345
here is your reply

>>64276349
forced meme
>>
>>64276332
i was just joking m8. ill probably check out magma because of how much you talk about them
>>
>>64276361
would you recommend starting anywhere in particular or just with their first album?
>>
>>64276377
Always start with MDK. It's basically the best summary of their sound
>>
>>64276389
will do thx fammo.

why do you bother using a trip anyway. it just brings you hate 2bh.
>>
>>64276417
It's so I can log my posting and my taste using RBT. Honestly I don't care what hate I get, it's usually from the same few guys anyways
>>
File: Cover.jpg (807 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
807 KB, 1000x1000
OK getting the Fanboy and Chum Chum meme out of the way
>Pic related
>Extremely influential in the development of Progressive Rock due to the song "Whiter Shade of Pale" getting airtime on pirate radio in the late 60s.
>>
bumping

no more memes pls
>>
Why not

Although this wasn't the first album of its kind, it served as a manifesto for the artistic movement that would blend traditional brazilian music with psych rock
All the people involved in it have great works but I think that this one is THE album that defines modern BR music, not only lyrically but stylistically too
Other than the artists in the cover, other artists influenced by Ou Panis et Cinrcencis would be Alceu Valença, Novos Baianos and Ze Ramalho
>>
File: image.jpg (166 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166 KB, 500x500
burzum's hvis lyset tar oss helped make atmospheric black metal a thing. it was a change in burzum's style, it made putting ambient tracks in your black metal album a thing, and its influence can be heard in most of what's called atmospheric black metal nowadays.
>>
>>64276299
tfw saw magma last month and they basically played this whole album
>>
>>64276816
Damn, that sounds really cool. Gonna check it out

>>64277008
i'm jelly
>>
>>64277026
they also played kobaia and a fucked up version of zombies. jello biafra introduced the show. i bought the last beanie they had printed. vander is literally going to retire. ama
>>
>>64277048

>vander is going to retire
WHAT THE FUCK NO

BUT MUH THEUSZ HAMTAAHK ALBUM VERSION RELEASE
>>
>>64277048
i was also high as fuck but i've been listening to magma for at least 10 years and this show was crunk
>>
>>64277152
dude they were filming for a movie called death and everything insinuated the end of magma
>>
File: LP5.jpg (815 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
LP5.jpg
815 KB, 1000x1000
>>64276299
a significant turning point in their career, going to the point of no return in regards to cold and precise textures and patterns

influenced a ton of techno, glitch, idm artists
a large reason why Kid A exists

widely considered to be one of their best
>>
>>64276903
>burzum's hvis lyset tar oss

Spot on analysis. As far as who it influenced it's hard to find an atmospheric black metal band that isn't influenced by it.

Negura Bunget
Drudkh
Murmuure
Wolves in the Throne Room

it's just everywhere
>>
>>64277237
autechre are endlessly interesting. for the last couple of months ive been slowly making my way through their discography, listening to their music whenever I code. Going through it chornologically, EP's included, only on Chiastic Slide right now. I listen to each one several times.
>>
>>64277202
damn...
I knew about the documentary but I didn't realize it was for the end of Memega
>>
>>64277367
it just seems that way... vanders elbows cant bump for 70+ years
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 316x316) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 316x316
wasn't the first vaporwave album but surely was THE album that helped popularize the genre and the vaporwave design aesthetic
>>
>>64277414
>tfw there will never be a official studio release of Theusz Hamtaahk

But Vander already completed his meme egyptian trilogy, why can't we finish up the best Magma trilogy for once and for all
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 300x300
25 years later, new bands are popping up trying to replicate it's sound, nothing more and nothing less. most if them fail. it popularized a genre and 25 years late still is fresh and relevant.
>>
>>64277450
they'll figure it out but i doubt there's gonna be another tour
>>
>>64277507
>tfw i will never see magma live now

F U C K
>>
File: red.jpg (54 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
red.jpg
54 KB, 375x375
King Crimson- Red

King Crimson demonstrate within older radio rock style how to destroy the limitations of pop music as a compositional style, both removing popular conventions and launching their own musical lexicon with Red. This group is noted to have influenced Black Sabbath and have in turn influenced the black metal and death metal produced a generation later. Although progressive rock differs in aesthetic and ideology, the fundamental spirit is shared with these extreme genres much as despite their internal diversity they find commonality between radically dissimilar acts, much as Burzum and Sentenced do not share an ideology but have the same approach in spirit to life and music.

Red joined us in 1974, after the great hippie meltdown of 1969 but before the truly industrial product music of the 1980s. Harmonic rhythm notes jump across power chord riffs while motifs range across genre techniques from rock to heavy metal music in an assortment of ecclectic jazz beat music. Much as in the solo careers of these musicians, the music acts as a sort of sponge for influences, styles, techniques and ideas, but remains at its core the kind of imaginative progressive rock that drove Jethro Tull, Yes and Aphrodite’s Child. Notably electric guitar feedback loops amplified by acoustic resonance of room sound are used to produce a sonic resonance and lead melodic development, often resembling keyboard orchestra sounds as they define each song by developing atmosphere through the contrast between texture, tone and phrase.
>>
>>64277525

Vocal songs as popular formatted compositions show movement rather than immediate resolution in music. Violent minimalism becomes eerily present as a lead guitar tone, carving sonic landscapes through sustained notes ringing in what would be describes as loops in ambient music, then intensifying these repeated patterns by doubling the guitars with crushing distortion. Songs show use another method of composition as opposed to the conventional rock major chord resolutions of popular music. Harmonically this album relies on half-steps followed by whole notes in a style then typical of the jazz fusion movement in rock. As if paying tribute to ancients, the rhythm is very rich with guitars producing massive sustain, reminiscent of DBC. A power chord motif leads order into disorder as the leitmotif is repeated inconsistently inbetween chaotic passages of large intervals creating sense of horror. Robert Fripp later innovated minimalist music playing his electric guitar through a tape feedback recorder and distortion and the nascent elements of that idea appear here as well.
>>
>>64277525
>>64277541

If you went to an opera hall for a music performance, “love me do” pop-rock would not provide a sufficient intensity of experience. Redundant and eventually contradicting itself in political dogma, the rock format remained the same — guitar, bass, drums and singing lyrics — as the medium proved adequate enough to express a much wider range of music than what the format was originally intended for, but this required innovation in style and substance as King Crimson set out to do and succeeded with brilliantly in Red. Exceptional guitar works can be found still within parts of songs for those who take the time to listen to the whole album, which creates a feeling of mixed rock, jazz and classical music. The mythological, lyrical content of King Crimson continues a long legacy, reminiscent of much older works of this band, which continues through progressive rock to the underground metal of today.
>>
>>64277541
i like what you're dishing out
>>
>>64277525
>>64277541
>>64277568
>tfw saw King Crimson live last year and they played the title track of Red

Fucking transcendental
>>
File: 1455227166702.jpg (52 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1455227166702.jpg
52 KB, 620x670
bump
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.