[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever ripped a tape with Audacity? How does that work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 1000x667
Has anyone ever ripped a tape with Audacity? How does that work? Does volume level matter?
>>
>>64263732
Unless it's some really obscure/rare shit, why not just find a download from somewhere?
>>
>>64263773
It's obscure shit. I want to rip it and upload it for you guys.
>>
>>64263732
Putting the the tape itself on your computer isn't that hard, but what I'd do once it's in audacity depends on the contents of the tape.
>>
>>64263732
yeah I've done it before, very easy. use a male on both ends 3mm jack hook one end into the output of the cassette player and the other end into the audio in jack of your computer, open up the recording devices window of your OS of choice that Audacity runs on, set audacity to record audio from the device the audio is coming through to then hit record and play the cassette.
>>
>Does volume level matter?

Yes, don't clip the incoming signal or else it will sound like shit.
>>
Gain stages always always matter.
>>
It is possible, but volume does matter. Ideally you want to leave yourself ~1.5dB of headroom, which is best to achieve first with the tape output and then later fine tune through the input, as having your output gain too low is going to introduce a lot of signal noise, and it's easier to control on the input side. And what >>64263892 describes is exactly how I do it. But if you happen to have an audio interface you can get much better rip quality than just using your sound card.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.