[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we save the music industry? Seriously, I'm guessing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: 1456963379820.png (291 KB, 750x366) Image search: [Google]
1456963379820.png
291 KB, 750x366
How do we save the music industry?

Seriously, I'm guessing none of you are huge fans of Adele, Sam Smith or Josh Groban. I'm guessing that the majority of the musicians you like are either dead, done or so far in obscurity that there's no real redemption for them. How do we fix this? How do we bring back music?
>>
>>>/r/lewronggeneration
>>
Sam Smith has a fantastic voice. I have no problem with him.

Adele just goes on to show how many people are plebs irl. I mean, I don't hate her, but her songs are nothing special at all.
>>
We don't the capitalist monolith that is the "music industry" now sets the listening trends and only lets certain sounds become the mainstream.
Good news is, the underground music scenes are larger than ever now, so y9u can just stay down there and ignore all the kikery going on with the once sacred 'art'.
>>
>>64262128
are you seriously saying that anyone not on the radio is obscure?
>>
>>64262180
This

Death to the music industry. Music is art, an expression of emotion and human spirit. If it's created by some corporation then it isn't music it's just a product.
>>
Music has gotten increasingly commercial . commercial isn't always bad it's just for music in particular it will only get worse. Dylan put an end to contemp folk, Zeppelin started the commercialized car commercial rock trend, so on.
>>
>>64262177
>unironically thinking Sam Smith is good
>>
File: 1362432512001.jpg (14 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1362432512001.jpg
14 KB, 250x250
Sometimes I like pop music.
>>
>>64262209
What makes them not obscure, then? Plus, YouTube has become a shilling ground rather than a place for amateur artists to get their start like it used to be, so good luck finding anything good there.
>>
>>64262180
But the only "musicians" in this town are edgy indie bands.
>>
>le intellectual music discussion thread

fuck off
>>
Plenty of good music is being made today by musicians living comfortably, newfag.
>>
>>64262128
1-Get random underground artists that made at least 2 music videos
1.1-Yes random artists, not your favorite one, we arent doing payola here (or whateaver this is called) , the point is to save music not the artist.
2-Use bots of whateaver to make 2 videos of the artist reach the main page of youtube.
3-Go back to 1 with an different artist from VERY different sub-genre of music
>>
>>64262275
Me too anon

This shit is genuinely great
https://youtu.be/foE1mO2yM04
>>
Adele is real music you disgusting turtle turd.
>>
>>64262369
They're just so obscure that there's no way to find them.
>>
>>64262369
This. The people who are concerned about making less money than they used to are record executive suits. Artists have always lived off merch and live shows, while labels get most of the money for actual album/single sales.

And when people complain that there's no huge rich rock stars any more, they seem to forget that those rich rock stars are just more commonly rich rappers now
>>
>>64262434
There is no such thing as a good soul singer.
>>
>>64262275
>Sometimes I like pop music.
he is talking about mainstream music
>>
File: 257[1].png (387 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
257[1].png
387 KB, 800x800
>>64262396
youtube doesn't have a main page anymore, just personalized results

>>64262128
The music industry is better than ever. the shitty majors no longer have a stranglehold on distribution and marketing so literally anyone with talent and the skills of self promotion can reach an audience. the best thing anyone can do for the "the music industry" is to just buy music and merch directly from artists you like, so they can keep doing what they are doing
>>
>>64262275
I miss Ke$ha before she went crazy. I miss Katy Perry because she's crazy.
>>
>>64262466
upvoted
>>
>>64262128
Why are you thinking that's the problem with the music industry holy shit you're off
>>
>>64262553
I haven't seen any legit music come out in years. The industry has monopolized two genres: country and soul. Good luck finding anything else.
>>
File: 1459467549276.png (60 KB, 387x192) Image search: [Google]
1459467549276.png
60 KB, 387x192
People are consumer more music of more varieties than ever before, and the general volume of output seems to be increasing as the barriers to entry are reduced. I agree with >>64262180 that the underground music scenes are larger than ever now, especially as local scenes are allowed to gain international attention through the internet. If you're using outdated metrics of chart performance and records sold to gain insight into the state of the music industry, then you're going to get watered down results. Musicians adapt to constraints of whatever systems happen to be in place at the time.

I think that people often look at what was popular in the 20th century and use that to compare the state of the industry to that of today. They use examples like Thick as a Brick, which reached number 1 on the Billboard 200, to show how music taste has become more straight lined and pop-centric. But assessing what's popular is a poor and outdated way to look at the the music industry these days.

I can imagine for a person who doesn't want to spend a large part of their life dedicated to discovering and listening to new music, this could be a troubling time. People want so-called music experts to filter through the crap to just deliver you the good nuggets, and in the 70s this was probably fine. But now, as music output has exploded, people feel lost and overwhelmed, and so revert to the old methods of discovering music. Thus they arrive at the conclusions that the watery pop selection of today is all the industry has to offer, and become increasingly disgruntled.

But anybody who's ever read a music blog or been to a progressive festival knows that with an ounce of effort, you can wade through the music of today and find absolutely anything. It really is an amazing time to be alive as a music enthusiast, and instead of conforming to whatever music scene you happened to grow up in, we can explore every nook and cranny of sound imaginable.

What a time to be alive!
>>
You don't, theres always been commercial garbage. Maybe theres more now than ever but who cares. Not all music is made or needs to be made for the REAL MUSIC crowd.
>>
>>64262612
I'm sorry that my main form of getting music is the radio. I used to check out amateurs on YouTube, but ever since the indie movement, they've all died out. I used to be able to type in "my band" into YouTube and get great results, but now it's full of shills. I'm not gonna listen to an hour of crap just to hear that one good song.
>>
>>64262553
>The music industry is better than ever. the shitty majors no longer have a stranglehold on distribution and marketing so literally anyone with talent and the skills of self promotion can reach an audience.
Lie to yourself.
The only person that did this was rebecca black, and she had help from tv stations by going to tv shows
>>
>>64262608
what? there are literally hundreds of thousands of albums being released every year in rock, jazz, classical, metal, experimental and dance electronic, folk, and yes pop. even if you go by the 95% percent of everything is crap ratio, that leaves a shit ton of good stuff
>>
>>64262698
Man if you're still listening to the radio then you're not even nibbling the edge of the tip of the iceberg. Post your top 10 albums and I'll rec you something to listen to
>>
Do people seriously not want to take a few minutes to find new music and don't want to go beyond getting spoonfed?
>>
>>64262712
Recommend me some new
>punk
>post-hardcore
>grunge
>alternative rock
>trancecore

Just one of those genres or multiple if you'd like. Whatever's good.
>>
>>64262762
This. There is plenty of music out there, go look for it.
>>
>>64262762
What specifically do you do to find new music?
>>
>>64262817
READ THE STICKY

HOLY SHIT IF THIS WHOLE THREAD HAS BEEN ABOUT NOT KNOWING HOW TO FIND NEW MUSIC I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF

I FUCKING WROTE A LONG ASS POST AND IT'S ALL FOR NOTHING

I WANT TO DIE
>>
>>64262817
Look at stuff recommended here, look through RYM lists and charts, and I have satellite radio and most channels play new stuff and one that I listen to invites music blogs to share stuff they've found.
>>
File: Nonon_jakuzure.jpg (32 KB, 480x531) Image search: [Google]
Nonon_jakuzure.jpg
32 KB, 480x531
>>64262856
You seem upset, family. Also, I'm not talking about the sticky. I'm talking about you in particular. Nice bait, though.
>>
>>64262362
Then start your own band and show them what for.
>>
>>64262612
>o-called music experts to filter through the crap to just deliver you the good nuggets
There is no crap, thats just different tastes.

Some people love harsh noise wall and music must be made to fit them.
Some people like tonefiend, onkyo, lowercase and music must be made for them and will be made by people that like those sounds.
The same with drone doom metal
Or free jazz
Or noise black metal.....

What you want is that free jazz, black metal, harsh noise, grindcore.... stop being created, and people only make music from some group of genres that were invented by collective input.
This means you will have an higher chance of finding good music, since the songs would be more likely to be created base on your taste, but the songs would be way worse than the ones you would find if you tried to search for something good under current situation
>>
>>64262772
so you're sad that your flash in the pan scenecore and 90s radiorock is no longer popular?
>>
The music industry isn't the kind that needs saving. Films/Vidya is suffering way worse than you casuals, you're getting new genre's of music released just about every year.
>>
>>64262947
I've tried so many times, but nobody has ever cared about writing music as much as me who wasn't already in a band.
>>
>>64262974
>new genres
Which are all shit. Let's face it, everything is shit. Deal with it.
>>
File: 1461339445820.jpg (80 KB, 713x531) Image search: [Google]
1461339445820.jpg
80 KB, 713x531
>>64262972
Yes.
>>
>>64263026
Videogames literally haven't gotten a single good game this first third except Dark Souls 3. I mean, that isn't to say people haven't been enjoying mediocre garbage spoonfed to them by mass media, but you know, that happens to every medium.

The new junglebook was a pretty good children's film tho, but that's the issue, it was a children's film. None of the good international films have subs yet either.

Music has a ton of great stuff churned out every day. Quite being a whiner.
>>
>>64263110
Sounds like you're only scratching the surface and complaining about a lack of quality. You're just salty.
>>
>>64262128
get your le wrong generation shit outta here
>>
>>64263192
No. Today's music sucks.
>>
>>64263165
Video games have less of an indie scene than music does and what is there is generally garbage and all the same because it's harder to make a game than it is to make music.
>>
I'm worried that the more music I learn to love the less likely I am to find someone who listens to the same things.

Already 4/5 of the bands I listen to I only see mentioned on the internet.
>>
>>64263219
Are you a special snowflake 14 year old? Lmao.
Go fucking listen to your nirvana and piss off either that or stop being lazy and stupid and actually listen to something modern that isn't nicki minaj.
>>
>>64263273
>listen to something modern
>that isn't Nikki Minaj
Nice contradiction, faggot.
>>
>>64263297
>everything new is bad!!!
Even nicer contradiction, faggot.
>>
>>64263342
>enjoying 7 years
You're just digging yourself deeper.
>>
>if it's not on the radio it doesn't exist
lmao
>>
>>64262128
fuck off dad
>>
>>64263366
>accuses me of making contradictions
>makes 2 contradictions in the process
you're not very good at this
>>
>>64263165
>>64263225
Here you go familinie https://itch.io/
>>
>>64262967
This is strange but what you call a positive thing was exactly what people say that caused the video game crash
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.