[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NIN Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 4494365742_990f4b30ff_o.jpg (229 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
4494365742_990f4b30ff_o.jpg
229 KB, 1024x1024
Did you like this album? I like it a lot but I've heard it's polarizing. I definitely think it's eclipsed by Hesitation Marks when it comes to post-The Fragile NIN though.
>>
>>64238953
With Teeth wasn't that bad of an album tbqh, not sure about HM overshadowing it in terms of post-90s NiN tho, always thought Year Zero was generally more liked
>>
Not trolling here.

What's so appealing about NIN? I like the instrumentation and effects but when Trent starts to sing the whole song goes to shit, he sounds like a fucking boy band singer or something

Is there any industrial rock band with better or no vocals?
>>
>>64238953
It's pretty bland, and the songwriting is mostly inferior to everything that came before and after it
With that being said, it's consistently good throughout, it's just that nothing really jumps out at you, aside from maybe right where it belongs
>>
>>64239976
Unique, solid songwriting and top notch production
Also emo kids jerking off to hurt
>>
With Teeth is one of the first albums I've ever bought. That said, it's probably one of heir worst works, but it's still good tho and incredibly catchy, so I come back to it from time to time
>>
>>64238953
It's NIN's "rock" album. As exemplified by the more straight-forward song-based structure, the toning down of electronic elements, and Dave Grohl drumming on a lot of the tracks.

It's good, but a bit lacklustre coming after The Fragile. It did seem, for a moment, like the real edge and experimentation of NIN had gone.

Luckily Year Zero and Ghosts really proved that Trent had it in him to put out more experimental/electronic/industrial works. And Hesitation Marks was, in my opinion, a really impressive album. I'm very excited to see what the "new NIN" that Trent has promised for 2016 turns out to be.

>>64239976
Trent isn't the most skilled singer, but that's the point. NIN wouldn't work with a conventionally "good" vocalist.

At the same time, though, NIN wouldn't work with a harder-edged, more traditionally "industrial" vocalist either. Trent's vocals serve as a pretty good balance in my opinion. Just good enough for him to sing catchy pop songs, but with more than enough bite to deliver some vicious performances too.

By the way, his best vocals are on Broken/TDS/The Fragile. Particularly TDS. The earlier and later songs/albums are not as strong vocally.
>>
BEST NIN IS GHOSTS. FOREVER
>>
>>64238953
He went markedly downhill after The Fragile.
>>
>>64238953
>eclipsed by Hesitation Marks
lol fuck no, HM was bad.
>>
>>64238953
>eclipsed by Hesitation Marks
the fuck outta here
>>
>>64241807
>HM was bad.

How so, m8
>>
>>64241772
Well put.
The Fragile is 50% trash though imo. It could have reached TDS status if he cut half of it out and just made it an LP while sticking the rest on remix type albums like he used to.
>>
>>64241830
>How is a bad album bad
smdh tbqh stepfam
>>
>>64241807
looks like we think alike anon
>>
>>64238953
7/10, it has its "eh" moments but still really enjoyable
>>
>>64241172
To add to this, following up the fragile and Still is a monumental task
>>64241946
>The Fragile is 50% trash though
It had a few weak tracks but I wouldn't go that far
>>
File: pipes.webm (982 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
pipes.webm
982 KB, 400x300
TDS > Broken > PHM > TF > WT > HM

Only is the best song on the album imo, but there isn't much else I can really come back to, unlike TDS, Broken, and PHM. I can listen to those albums until I die.
>>
>>64238953
Definitely a better album than HM. Still not very good. Nostalgic as all hell for me though, so it will always have a sentimental place in my heart. Same goes for most of Trent's music actually, but especially that one as I seem to recall it being my first exposure to NIN.
>>
>Everyone shitting on The Fragile and Hesitation Marks
Why
>>
>>64238953
Trent stopped making excellent music when he stopped doing drugs.
YX, Ghosts and HM are good for clean Trent, but they come nowhere close to TDS or even The Fragile.
>>
I like WT, production is a lot more raw then the latter albums, it's much "louder". Probably my 4 or 5th favourite NIN album.
>>
>>64241772
i have a lot of instrumental versions of his songs (i forget where i got them) and they are definitely better to me with no vocals at all.
>>
>>64241802
This unfortunately. I really tried not to become just another hater who complains about his new stuff, but man it just does nothing for me no matter how many times I listen to it. Especially With Teeth and Year Zero.
>>
I kinda liked it, but it seems like it was setting up what Hesitation Marks gave us, which sounds like NIN grew up too much. I really dug the sound of Year Zero, I was hoping they were heading back into that territory but yeah, HM left me wanting more.
>>
>>64241245
>Unique, solid songwriting
>>
Really stale.
>>
>>64245322
Pretty much
You can't go from ruiner to the collector and not expect people to be disappointed
>>
Everything Trent Reznor did after he got off the junk is pure shite with the sole exception of Year Zero.
>>
>>64246940
replace Year Zero with Ghosts and I'd agree
>>
>>64241946
Could you list what tracks you think were trash? Just curious. Where is Everybody and Ripe stand out as pretty meh, but everything else is solid to me.

With teeth was good, but it's aged terribly. Just bland. Hesitation Marks is one of my top albums of the past few years, I really loved it and The Slip.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.