[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It got updated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 610x704) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 610x704
Sleep Cycle is finally in it's rightful place.
>>
Well I guess I should be happy that RYM picked the right AOTY but the rest are garbage.
>>
>>64221490
Won't be satisfied until it hots 3.9
>>
>people still pretending Blackstar was that good
>>
>>64221513
>you are still pretending to be retarded
>>
>>64221512
Eh, it's been going down from 4.00, once everyone listens to it it'll sit at around 3.85.

Still a great album
>>
Reminder that people actually think MBDTF and TPAB are better than Blackstar.
>>
>>64221523
it really is not that good
>>64221538
all about equally average
>>
>>64221538
if he didn't die sleep cycle would be sitting at #1 and you know it
>>
>>64221512
It's going to deflate heavily. Part of the reason it's so high is because it fits /mu/'s false narrative of "underdog Deakin gets kicked out of AnCo and makes better music". Once everyone realizes how minor of a statement it is it'll rest around 3.5
>>
>>64221568
>If the album's concept wasn't the album's concept then it wouldn't be #1.
Wow what a stunning revelation. I never knew that if Blackstar was about Bowie's massive shits that it would be less effective art.

thanks kid, you're a real visionary
>>
>>64221597

I don't see it going below 3.7 but its possible.
>>
>>64221597
>implying it'll take that big of a hit

If anything, it'll stay at 3.7 with around 2k rates but 3.9 is more likely than 3.5
>>
>>64221622
You're welcome :)
>>
>>64221538
TPAB>Blackstar>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MBDTF
>>
>>64221653

put that in reverse and you're right
>>
>>64221622
It was around 3.6 right before he died. Music should not be retroactively enhanced by an associated event, but that is what people think happened. The album is good because Bowie channeled his thoughts and fears of dying onto it...the album isn't good just because he died.

I've said this before and people don't seem to get what I'm saying but it's not that complicated
>>
>>64221686
ok you're being retarded
what happened is that nobody really got the idea of the concept behind the album, but when he died suddenly everyone could clearly understand what he was trying to say. it was a moment of exactly clear artistic intention
so yeah it does deserve the rating for its concept
>>
D E A K
E
A
K
>>
>>64221721
nothing you said has anything to do with why it deserves the high rating it has after the fact like his point illustrated
>>
>>64221784
>why it deserves the high rating it has after the fact
because suddenly everyone understood the concept immediately
which is what I said
>>
>>64221721
The album is very, very obviously about death. If that wasn't clear before he died, it was at least a quite dark album with inspiration from the supernatural/concept of an afterlife. Why do I need to be prodded by the fact that he died to think it's better?

What I think you're saying is that people gave it more attention and had more of a reason to try and "get" the album after he died. That's completely true. But any listener who listened to it a few times could've understood the same things before he died. There isn't any reason that someone who really listened to it enough would automatically think its better once he died.

The gist of what I'm saying is that the super high rating is a reaction to his death. For the record I gave it 4/5 on rym
>>
>>64221820
>its good because the less intelligent people get it now!

so you're saying nothing?
>>
>>64221837
There's a very big difference between "Oh I'm old. I'm probably dying soon. Better make some dark music about it" and "This needs to be pretty damn near a final testament about my situation right now"
>>
>>64221597
>kicked out
Wrong
>minor statement
Wrong again
>>
>>64221864
There's a big difference between an album deserving its rating because of its content and concept and undeserved praise due to circumstances out of anyone's control
>>
>>64221864
Yeah I agree. I'm saying that it was the second one before and after he died.

I'm also saying that after he died, everyone realized that it was the second concept and jumped on to the bandwagon of "album about death by man who died = masterpiece".

I'm not even talking about the music itself, I'm talking about why the rating difference happened. And it's not because it was "too deep" to get until after he died
>>
>>64221911
I don't understand your point

Many people, me included, didn't know that was the concept.

And you're mad at us realizing it later and rating it up accordingly?

You're very petty.
>>
>>64221951
anyone with half a brain who bothered to sit down and listen to the album should be able to understand the concept in one sitting

this isn't some deep intellectual avant-garde work it's relatively straightforward
>>
>>64221978
>anyone with half a brain who bothered to sit down and listen to the album should be able to understand the concept in one sitting
Well, most people didn't.
Sorry kid I don't know how else to tell you.
>>
>>64221951
Nah I don't mean that you're dumb for not realizing the exact concept of the album. I just thought it was generally an album about mortality

But you probably tricked yourself into thinking it was better once you could put his death into the lyrics
>>
>>64221490
>A king crimson album in the top 5
What is this sorcery!!
>>
>>64222004
I thought it was just another one of his meh recent albums, but this time just trying to ape Scott Walker. So I thought it was musically pretty vapid.
Post-death I realized that wasn't the idea of it at all.
>>
>>64221994
Yeah I'm the kid because you can't seem to be able to understand concept albums without looking up the lyrics on genius lol
>>
>>64222035
No need to project,I know that's a teenager problem.
>>
>>64222032
Sounds like you elevated your opinion of it for the wrong reason. Music is sound and sound alone. Music isn't a media event
>>
>>64222053
Nah I'm probably pretty right on
>>
>>64222071
Yeah because Shostakovich Quartet 8 and Symphony 5 gain no extra value from the context of the composer's situation at that time.
I'm sure you know a lot about art, kid.
>>
>>64222096
gaining context to the music doesn't make the actual music sound better
kid
>>
>>64222124
Oh really? Go ahead and tell me your justification. Specifically with Shostakovich, since I'm sure you're familiar with his life along with art theory in general.
This is the cancer that kills /mu/, both the shitposting and the teenagers who try to bullshit their way through music discussions while knowing nothing about what they are talking about.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (99 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
99 KB, 600x800
>tfw I started the "sleep cycle is good" meme
>>
>>64222149
Yeah because you know what you're talking about. The same guy that still wouldn't understand the concept of Blackstar if Bowie didn't fucking die?

You've embarrassed yourself enough here kid
>>
>>64222184
Are you going to address my post?
>>
>>64222149
>trying to establish credibility through namedropping
>blaming the scapegoat of underage posters
Ok now I know you're a dumbass. What does Shostakovich have to do with David Bowie? Suck me
>>
>>64222212
No because Shostakovich and art theory have noting to do with your bullshit reasoning as to why an album is considered better than it actually is because some people understand the concept due to unforeseen circumstances. I won't refute you until you support your own posts.
>>
>>64222259
>Shostakovich's 8th String Quartet has nothing to do with Blackstar
wow
so you're saying you have no idea what you are talking about?
tell me: what studies have you done in art/music?
>>
>>64222297
I have a masters in music theory and I'm working on my phd. Can i discuss top 10 RYM music with you now? lol
>>
>>64222297
You're still trying to divert the argument. But the real discussion ended several posts ago anyway

>>64222173
No you didn't because its AOTY without your memeing
>>
>>64222344
Where at? And where and when did you get your undergrad? Definitely not skeptical...just curious :)
>>
1. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered 9.6
2. David Bowie - Black Star 9.5
3. Deakin - Sleep Cycle 9
4. Black Mountain - IV 9
5. Kanye West - The Life Of Pablo 9
6. Charles Bradley - Changes 8.7
7. Man Bites Dog - Entertaining the World 8.5
8. Weezer - Weezer [White Album] 8.3
9. Anderson .Paak - Malibu 8.3
10. Parquet Courts - Human Performance 8.3
11. Deftones - Gore 8.1
12. DIIV - Is the Is Are 8.0
13. Teen Suicide - It's the Big Joyous Celebration, Let's Stir the Honeypot 8.0
14. Future - EVOL 7.9
15. Animal Collective - Painting With 7.8
16. Jesu & Sun Kil Moon - Jesu / Sun Kil Moon 7.8
17. Domo Genesis - Genesis 7.5
18. Open Mike Eagle & Paul White - Hella Personal Film Festival 7.5
19. The Field - The Follower 7.3
20. Fire! - She Sleeps, She Sleeps 7.0
>>
>>64222362
>You're still trying to divert the argument.
So no studies then?
>>
>>64222374
Fucking Harvard and Cambridge. But back to the discussion why do unforeseen circumstances raise the quality of an already made album to you buddy?
>>
>>64222409
When? I don't believe you.
>>
>>64222425
right
>>
>>64222383
>Gore 8.1
What the fuck man?
>>
>>64222383
>falling for the TPAB: B-Side meme

hahaha
>>
File: mpv-shot0043.jpg (106 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0043.jpg
106 KB, 1200x720
>comparing fucking Blackstar with Shostakovich Symphony 5

Stop memeing please, Shostakovich was actually good.
>>
>>64222383
>Future
>better than Domo genesis

no
>>
>>64221490
>people unironiaclly use rate your music
>they think their arbitrary number rating systems mean shit
>"look at me le intellectual music reviewer"
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.